Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Stopped for refreshments en route

1000013823.jpg

alex_cycles

Veteran
Stopped for refreshments en route

View attachment 738531

Excellent. Hope you're enjoying it.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Yes thanks Alex. We chose a totally country lanes route today.

We were cut to shreds by brambles and stung by nettles yesterday, didn't fancy that today.

When the off road is decent its very enjoyable being away from traffic

Yes I cycle local bridleways round here and it really depends on the time of year and whether they've been cut. Sometimes certain sections are impassable with nettles. Other times I've had a laugh trying to cycle fast through long grass reaching the handlebars.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi Paul
We start/finish Reading

Yes, very much enjoying the ride - nothing like the mega distances per day like you.

Trail is perfect now, very dry, the odd puddle here n there. Sat eating jelly babies overlooking Devil's punch bowl

1000013864.jpg

Attachments

• 1000013870.jpg
    1000013870.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just got lost in the sandy heather gorse, ended up doing a loop back to where we entered :laugh:

Found our bearings, back on track

1000013888.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Brief review of King Alfred's Way.

Wife and I undertook the circular route through the North Downs South Downs and Surrey going through historic places Winchester, Avesbury, Stonehenge.

It was her first ride out, more than just a trip to a pub or see friends locally. She coped fantastically, even better than me 😲

We did it with a leisurely pace of 30-50 miles per day, stopping in BnB, pubs and hotels. The weather was perfect, staying warm, mostly dry when riding. The route is very varied in surface, which was ok apart from deep rutted narrow tracks or nettle, bramble strewn ginnels.

E-Bikes- performed faultlessly, no punctures (thanks sealant). We had enough range/power per day to ascend all the big, often very steep climbs.

Certainly a contrast to Paul's adventure in May-proper hardcore.

We chatted to quite a few other riders, 4-5 days seems standard duration

Thoroughly recommend King Alfred's :okay:

It was a success, we are looking at next year's E-bike tour.

Photos on my Strava rides

bridgy

Legendary Member
Brief review of King Alfred's Way.

Wife and I undertook the circular route through the North Downs South Downs and Surrey going through historic places Winchester, Avesbury, Stonehenge.

It was her first ride out, more than just a trip to a pub or see friends locally. She coped fantastically, even better than me 😲

We did it with a leisurely pace of 30-50 miles per day, stopping in BnB, pubs and hotels. The weather was perfect, staying warm, mostly dry when riding. The route is very varied in surface, which was ok apart from deep rutted narrow tracks or nettle, bramble strewn ginnels.

E-Bikes- performed faultlessly, no punctures (thanks sealant). We had enough range/power per day to ascend all the big, often very steep climbs.

Certainly a contrast to Paul's adventure in May-proper hardcore.

We chatted to quite a few other riders, 4-5 days seems standard duration

Thoroughly recommend King Alfred's :okay:

It was a success, we are looking at next year's E-bike tour.

Photos on my Strava rides

Really glad you both enjoyed it Andy and well done! I think dry weather - and more importantly dry ground - will make a huge difference so going a bit later in the year like you have is probably a good call (that said, there's no guarantees with British weather is there?!)

I'm also looking to do another tour of some sort next year - there's a few options in mind but the advantage KAW has over many others is it's circular so you avoid the logistical issue of getting back to your starting point to get your car at the end!

mjd1988

Guru
Screenshot_20240728-123933.png

First racing score race; champs Elysee so suited me...probably need to be careful doing flat races or I'll end up in cat a and get destroyed. Was a fun race, few big engines making it hard throughout but I was just about best sprinter

Smashed 2nd and 3rd by 0.01 and 004 seconds! Couldn't actually tell who won until the scoreboard

Screenshot_20240728-123933.png

Top Bottom