Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Signed up to a race using the new scoring system. My current 20 mins power is 2.8w/kg and I know this new system is more points based, but I'm so far behind the other racers in this one that I can see getting dropped before the 5km descent. This is really a B cat race but as I'm on 427 points I somehow squeeze in (don't get the logic of that personally but I guess the only way to get my points accurate is to race a few times, get blown away, and put back into pens with racers of similar abilities?)

Anyone else fancy rolling in at the back with me? :laugh:

1722416446533.png

Whorty

Signed up to a race using the new scoring system. My current 20 mins power is 2.8w/kg and I know this new system is more points based, but I'm so far behind the other racers in this one that I can see getting dropped before the 5km descent. This is really a B cat race but as I'm on 427 points I somehow squeeze in (don't get the logic of that personally but I guess the only way to get my points accurate is to race a few times, get blown away, and put back into pens with racers of similar abilities?)

Anyone else fancy rolling in at the back with me? :laugh:
This is the D pen - using the race ranking points I'm 466 so very mid table in D, so still not sure how this new scoring system is deriving the points. Doesn't encourage racing (not for me anyone). Fine if you're in the correct pen but does seem to be way off for some racers.

Anyone else see this?

1722416870603.png

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I raced the other day, I was 416 points at the time. The results displayed it was a cat B race on Zwiftpower rankings. I faired ok with it being a climby course. I had no problems hanging on in the pack on the flat sections and even held off a pack towards the finish which was up a climb. I was given about 6 points, but today I only gained 2 points.

You'll be fine Carl, they are low end B riders ,not the level of Paul, Pete, Martin etc etc. :okay:

I would join you, but not available, Is this the Costal Crown route?

If so, hang on for the first part. Its a 4min climb, then its becomes a little easier, because the speed is fast enough you can draft up the rest of the climb saving Watts

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=4459580

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
It's too nice to be indoors anyway :laugh:
I had committed last week to a race yesterday. My wife said "why are you racing today? It's lovely outside."
Unfortunately she was right, but I'm one of those people who likes to do what they say they're going to do.

I won't be agreeing to do any more ladder races for the time being though :laugh: 4 laps of London Classique and I was 20kg lighter than nearly all the others :eek:

Whorty

You're so close to the level below, 2 points would put you in the old C/D :whistle:

i'm not normally one to scupper my own race to de-cat, but I'm very tempted :laugh:

If I'm dropped in that first 5km I'm just rolling in at a slow pace, but I'll do my best to hang on as much as I can.

Whorty

It's too nice to be indoors anyway :laugh:
I had committed last week to a race yesterday. My wife said "why are you racing today? It's lovely outside."
Unfortunately she was right, but I'm one of those people who likes to do what they say they're going to do.

I won't be agreeing to do any more ladder races for the time being though :laugh: 4 laps of London Classique and I was 20kg lighter than nearly all the others :eek:

I would go out but the bike is squeaking at the back so I have a local mechanic popping over this evening to do a service and hopefully lube me up :eek:

May go out tomorrow depending how hard I work at the gym which is taking precedent at the moment
Enjoy the great outdoors - be careful of idiot drivers

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Carl I was on companion app and it said your score is 417. You could have ridden in the lower category

1000014123.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm happier over 25°C on a bike with all that lovely cooling air than sitting still.
:ohmy:

I just begin to overheat, done so quite a few times. I used to find in Tenerife my pace would significantly increase once above 1000m elevation.

I do remember my last tour of Cambridge, melting. Martin was there, did really well and looked cool as a cucumber

Whorty

Carl I was on companion app and it said your score is 417. You could have ridden in the lower category

View attachment 739324

It had me at 427 when I signed up ... I wonder if it changed during the race?
Certainly no surprises in the actual race. Dropped as soon as the group hit the climb, a climb that took me 90 secs longer than the leaders (on a 4 minute climb). That was definitely a 'B' race, with the pack going up that first climb at 5+ w/kg.
Had I been in the D race I've have been 28th out of 34 (on ZP). The new cat system definitely needs work as too many B's racing in C and D cats. I'm all for results based racing but it needs to at least start at a reasonable place (the old ZP rankings were pretty good within cat so I don't get why that along with the power numbers were not used as a baseline. I hope they get it right before the ZRL leagues else it's going to be a mess.

1722431041550.png

Whorty

It's still early days, but for you and me, we can currently ride in D with a score of less than 425. That makes us big 🐠

:biggrin:

I can now I'm back under 425.
What seems bizare though is B's are in D races and racers with the same power as me, who finish around the same time but have race scores 200 less than me. The rankings need to sort themselves out pretty fast else we'll be in the autumn leagues and it could be a real mess.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I can now I'm back under 425.
What seems bizare though is B's are in D races and racers with the same power as me, who finish around the same time but have race scores 200 less than me. The rankings need to sort themselves out pretty fast else we'll be in the autumn leagues and it could be a real mess.

I don't think ZRL will be using racing score this season because it won't be ready in time. It's still only 1 month into the Zwift Labs experiment.

DRS won't be using it either as far as I know because vELO has worked so well for us.

Top Bottom