Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I did wonder about going for a split at Aqueduc, but the legs weren't keen on the idea and the pack was still large so all it would have done was waste energy.

I set a new PB up the aqueduct, was really on the limit, but knew I had to keep hold of the lead pack. This was the first marker, I was in a tough ranked event. I wanted to get over the serpentine with the lead pack. I know I wouldn't have had much left, but just popped on the final ramp.

What did you think of the race score ranking, did the result reflect your current ability/fitness?

alex_cycles

Veteran
I set a new PB up the aqueduct, was really on the limit, but knew I had to keep hold of the lead pack. This was the first marker, I was in a tough ranked event. I wanted to get over the serpentine with the lead pack. I know I wouldn't have had much left, but just popped on the final ramp.

What did you think of the race score ranking, did the result reflect your current ability/fitness?

If I hadn't thrown away my aero I could have been top 5. ZwiftRacing.app vELO had me predicted 3rd. I was 10th.
I think the ZRS seeding wasn't too far off in my case - relative to the others in the race. But as 540 in a race up to 575 I was always meant to be in the top few. Very early days yet.

My initial comments based on observation are...

It looks as if heavier riders get seeded with a higher score
I don't think the points changes are large enough to put people in the right groups quickly.

But you can't judge a system like this on race 1. It has to be allowed some weeks to self-adjust.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy and @alex_cycles so if you Andy were at 425, and Alex at 540 before the race, why were you in the same category? Because when I look at the boundaries on Companion App they go 375-450 and then 450-550?

It was the recommended category for me on companion app

They have tightened up the category for my level

Race later today same event

So I would have been a bigger fish later this afternoon :cursing::laugh:

1000013274.jpg

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I think I read somewhere that they were still experimenting with categories and boundaries. Some races are set up to have 4, others 5 and some (by splitting it into two races) essentially get 10. So that means the same score could get you into lots of different cats.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I think I read somewhere that they were still experimenting with categories and boundaries. Some races are set up to have 4, others 5 and some (by splitting it into two races) essentially get 10. So that means the same score could get you into lots of different cats.

Ah yeah I see now - I was looking at the next one which has 10 categories by splitting into a "high" and "low" race with 5 Cats in each, whilst others have just one race with 5 Cats - which must have been what Andy and Alex did.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I think the whole idea of the labs events is testing stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if the boundaries were different in each race and they're just looking at how it's working.

alex_cycles

Veteran
@CXRAndy and @alex_cycles so if you Andy were at 425, and Alex at 540 before the race, why were you in the same category? Because when I look at the boundaries on Companion App they go 375-450 and then 450-550?

The morning races are broader cats (5 pens). Evening primetime ones are split into Low and High (10 pens)

Our pen was 400-575, the others were 725-1000, 575-725, 225-400, 0-225

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
The morning races are broader cats (5 pens). Evening primetime ones are split into Low and High (10 pens)

Our pen was 400-575, the others were 725-1000, 575-725, 225-400, 0-225

That doesn't suit my morning cycling preference. There again, it was a great workout above my normal level. I only just missed the group finish. So will keep trying these when I'm available

Top Bottom