Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
Had a go on IndieVelo this afternoon. Very Zwift-like. Biggest difference I could see from the off is drafting - feels more realistic and doesn't let riders ride through each other's avatars.

I like the HUD too, more information than Zwift (and not as confusing as Sauce).

Claimed there were 5200 riders on when I was riding. If so, they really have started to eat into Zwift's user base. Obviously being free it's a no brainer to give it a go to see how it fairs. Nothing to lose. Be interesting come autumn how many drift back to Zwift or try something new. The pricing strategy will be interesting too.

Had a blast around the velodrome, that was fun (very BKool like). Could be good for interval training.

Didn't try a race or anything hilly so can't comment how that feels.
Wow less than 12k on zwift ATM so that's substantial

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I think IndieVelo counts the bots, though? If so, that’s a bit disingenuous!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had a go on IndieVelo this afternoon. Very Zwift-like. Biggest difference I could see from the off is drafting - feels more realistic and doesn't let riders ride through each other's avatars.

I like the HUD too, more information than Zwift (and not as confusing as Sauce).

Claimed there were 5200 riders on when I was riding. If so, they really have started to eat into Zwift's user base. Obviously being free it's a no brainer to give it a go to see how it fairs. Nothing to lose. Be interesting come autumn how many drift back to Zwift or try something new. The pricing strategy will be interesting too.

Had a blast around the velodrome, that was fun (very BKool like). Could be good for interval training.

need a power meter or a smart trainer so im out :sad:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Wow less than 12k on zwift ATM so that's substantial

Must confess, I was very surprised. I expected the platform to be empty but it felt as busy as Zwift (although only one world so probably not surprising it felt more busy). My assumption is those who's Zwift subs have run out recently are trying IndieV for free. There was a lot of chat from people who were trying it today for the first time, all saying they came from Zwift.
The next 6 months are going to be very interesting. Then add MyWhoosh into the mix and we have options at least.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
looking at subs i think i have a choice of rouvy or zwift with my set up , not enough of a difference for me to make it worth switching as i only tend to use zwift about 3 months a year and cancel membership in-between, another £20 for the year isn't going to make a difference .

Whorty

looking at subs i think i have a choice of rouvy or zwift with my set up , not enough of a difference for me to make it worth switching as i only tend to use zwift about 3 months a year and cancel membership in-between, another £20 for the year isn't going to make a difference .

Makes absolute sense, it's about value for money and that's good value for a few months riding. My Zwift still runs until Jan 2025 so I'll make a decision closer to that date but trying out other platforms in the meantime to stave away boredom.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **

That’s a huge jump in numbers. I was on a week or so ago and it was quite sparse in terms of riders. As others have said most of the others were bots but a bit of chat going on suggested there were a handful of other humans.

As you say the drafting and HUD seem better

The indievelo founders club is something like $12.99 a month. It would be a no brainer for them to pitch it at that level for all users come autumn and will get some of the zwift users to convert. They surely can’t stay free forever. I wonder how long Zwift can keep haemorrhaging money as they claim to??

Mo1959

Legendary Member

I’ve gone back to Rouvy. Suits what I do better as I’m not interested in racing. I had a spin in Italy yesterday and Spain today. :smile:

Whorty

That’s a huge jump in numbers. I was on a week or so ago and it was quite sparse in terms of riders. As others have said most of the others were bots but a bit of chat going on suggested there were a handful of other humans.

As you say the drafting and HUD seem better

The indievelo founders club is something like $12.99 a month. It would be a no brainer for them to pitch it at that level for all users come autumn and will get some of the zwift users to convert. They surely can’t stay free forever. I wonder how long Zwift can keep haemorrhaging money as they claim to??

There were definitely real riders as they were reacting to me ... unless they have programmed the bots to vary their power levels to match riders around them which I guess is possible but takes some processing power.
In races I think is where the bots are more obvious as they bolster the numbers in the pens, but to be honest, that's no bad thing. Adding a few bots of similar power (as we could do on Bkool 7 years ago) is useful and entertaining.
I get the feeling the early adopters may get the 12.99 if they pay that now, but the level for others may be higher. Maybe not as high as Zwift but not 12.99 either.
Really is hard to predict where the market will be come October, but given the barriers to entry are not massive each platform really does need to work hard to offer a value for money offering.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
There were definitely real riders as they were reacting to me ... unless they have programmed the bots to vary their power levels to match riders around them which I guess is possible but takes some processing power.

That is exactly how they are supposed (programmed) to act. There are bots with different abilities, mentalities etc., so they will act like if you rode with/against real people in a group.

bridgy

Legendary Member

I gave IndieVelo a try yesterday evening after reading your post. It also said 5200 riders but to be honest there didn't seem many around where I was riding! Nowhere near the numbers on Zwift, even at this time of year.

Graphics were a bit rubbish I thought - but do agree there was more useful info on the HUD and the drafting indicator was also useful (things we've been criticising Zwift for since for ever!)

Other than it currently being free, I can't see any reason to go from Zwift to that, although I'd happily try out a race on there - I like the idea of Alex's elimination race! Would still love Zwift to make some of the basic improvements with the HUD and other features for racing though

Top Bottom