Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Raced EVR yesterday, and did Zone 2/3 Korea Ride today, so plan on a couple of easy days as I'm working nights.

Next race likely to be EVR at 1100 on Friday, if I can get backside out of bed in time.

Breedon

Legendary Member
xx(

sore calves still don't want to work either.

I will race thursday:okay:
Note to self dont go up Alp D'Huez day before a hard and fast session.
I struggled on the warm up lap and i knew i wasn't going to do well, my legs felt heavy and just didn't seem to have enough energy.
So im resting tomorrow ready for full on race mode Thursday if there's any decent one's on.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Note to self dont go up Alp D'Huez day before a hard and fast session.
I struggled on the warm up lap and i knew i wasn't going to do well, my legs felt heavy and just didn't seem to have enough energy.
So im resting tomorrow ready for full on race mode Thursday if there's any decent one's on.

Dean, that was B/A race pace. You did pretty darned well with lots of PB's.

bridgy

Legendary Member
First Zwift race done :okay:. I did KISS Europe if that means anything to you, and chose cat B.

To be honest I found it all a bit crowded and chaotic with riders everywhere which made following the actual race and where everyone was quite hard.

I put the difficulty to 100, and I still think the hills were a little easier than bkool, but flats and downs much harder.

Question - can you freewheel downhill like in bkool or do you have to keep pedalling? I just pedalled as I wasn't sure what would happen!

Zwift watts are also much less generous than bkool watts aren't they?!

JLaw

Veteran
First Zwift race done :okay:. I did KISS Europe if that means anything to you, and chose cat B.

To be honest I found it all a bit crowded and chaotic with riders everywhere which made following the actual race and where everyone was quite hard.

I put the difficulty to 100, and I still think the hills were a little easier than bkool, but flats and downs much harder.

Question - can you freewheel downhill like in bkool or do you have to keep pedalling? I just pedalled as I wasn't sure what would happen!

I was looking for you, but I'm not sure what your handle is on zwift. It's unlikely we'd have seen each other as we were riding different cats, but I did look.

It is crowded and chaotic, but that feels "normal" to me as the only race I do the real world is the same. As you do a few you'll get used to it and get better at understanding how to interpret the various tidbits of info. zwiftpower also has some live data that can be useful (they pull segments from strava I guess as they happen to get position). If they ever separate races from everyone else, it'd be a lot less chaotic.

You can coast the downhills, I haven't done any experimentation to see if laying down marginal watts helps or not. Certainly spinning a bit helps the legs feel better. Can't comment on watts since I'm on a kickr and thus have a real power meter.

As for the "C" race, I got caught in no-mans land on the approach to the climb. While I did manage to set a PB on the climb, I came in about 10 seconds slower overall than last week's race on the same route. I actually felt I'd done far worse and was going to blame it on yesterday's effort (2nd, but a *much* smaller field). But the final #s weren't too bad.

While I like the short, intense races of the last couple weeks, clocking in around 30 minutes, I feel that the longer ones would do me more good. I could ride "B" to get the extra lap on the flatter courses. I'd likely be fighting to stay out of last place. But it's something I'm pondering.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

The race groups are very busy, just like a big club ride, or peleton :laugh: You do need to keep an eye on the pack because it can suddenly leave you behind if you take your eye of it. I like to stay near the front for two reasons, I can see the front of the pack, its easier to gauge your overall position, cover breakaways and when I hit climbs and drop back, I'm still in the pack albeit at the back-hopefully

Yes you can freewheel to some degree and speed falls away but eventually the software decides you've stopped, You need a Neo for motorised down hill freewheels.

Watts are for those with power meters accurate and non PM trainers reflect more accurate to normal capabilities..:okay: On Bkool I would average 350W, but in reality I can only manage high 200s with trainer road and Zwift. The latter numbers I can use outside for TT

Looking at your Strava race analysis number look good, overall average 289W, 300W average for climbing and low 200s for decents. Unless you put in a massive effort for downhills to generate lots of watts your speed wont creep up a great deal. The platform really reflects outside riding. There are no spikes you can develop by trying unusual techniques.

BTW .(edit you came 35th overall with 3.6W/Kg):thumbsup: You should tag up with Clown on here, he is a high level B rider and won a B race last week

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Paul,
Nothing much I can add to the responses above. If you have worked hard enough on the hills you will be grateful for the chance to freewheel down:okay:
Great ride there even accounting for the small benefit you get on the pro. Well done.

bridgy

Legendary Member
The race groups are very busy, just like a big club ride, or peleton :laugh: You do need to keep an eye on the pack because it can suddenly leave you behind if you take your eye of it. I like to stay near the front for two reasons, I can see the front of the pack, its easier to gauge your overall position, cover breakaways and when I hit climbs and drop back, I'm still in the pack albeit at the back-hopefully

Yes you can freewheel to some degree and speed falls away but eventually the software decides you've stopped, You need a Neo for motorised down hill freewheels.

Watts are for those with power meters accurate and non PM trainers reflect more accurate to normal capabilities..:okay: On Bkool I would average 350W, but in reality I can only manage high 200s with trainer road and Zwift. The latter numbers I can use outside for TT

Looking at your Strava race analysis number look good, overall average 289W, 300W average for climbing and low 200s for decents. Unless you put in a massive effort for downhills to generate lots of watts your speed wont creep up a great deal. The platform really reflects outside riding. There are no spikes you can develop by trying unusual techniques.

BTW .(edit you came 35th overall with 3.6W/Kg):thumbsup: You should tag up with Clown on here, he is a high level B rider and won a B race last week
Thanks all for the feedback.

Andy - I like your idea of staying near the front etc, but not really an option for me as I couldn't stay with the leaders, but my watts/kg were higher than the max allowed for the Cat C race! I never really managed to settle in with a group at all, except for a very short time a couple of times despite the number of riders in the race! It would help if they could have races where only those in the race were on screen as @JLaw says.

BTW @JLaw my name on Zwift is P.Bridgman. I was keeping my eye out for any names I recognised from here but didn't see anyone. This was a bit of a last minute decision as I got in quite late so I'll try and coordinate with some of you on here next time

bridgy

Legendary Member

Hi @CXRAndy - where are you getting the Strava race analysis info from with the average watts for climbing and descents? Cheers

Top Bottom