Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Well update on the trainer. Neo not expected before September now 🤨. Can’t wait that long so after some haggling have gone with the stages. Lots of pros and cons with all of the bikes to be honest. We will see but I will be back in watopia tomorrow 😁

Fingers crossed mate! Even them saying September might not of turned out to be September so I think you’ve made the right choice being trainer less at the mo

I want to get on a training plan in a month or two, and was considering TrainerRoad but tbh I think it’s too expensive for what they offer, and it makes Zwift look like better value!

Instead I’m likely to go for TrainerDay which is very reasonable, but doesn’t offer a power match feature yet (listed as coming soon on their website). I’m basically waiting for them to get that before subscribing and building a plan based on their library of workouts:okay:

If they don’t bring PowerMatch them I will probably stick with Zwift and build my own workouts. I can’t quite see enough value in TR to pay almost as much as Zwift but lose the option to join races, group rides, special events etc

<Tommy>

I want to get on a training plan in a month or two, and was considering TrainerRoad but tbh I think it’s too expensive for what they offer, and it makes Zwift look like better value!

Instead I’m likely to go for TrainerDay which is very reasonable, but doesn’t offer a power match feature yet (listed as coming soon on their website). I’m basically waiting for them to get that before subscribing and building a plan based on their library of workouts:okay:

If they don’t bring PowerMatch them I will probably stick with Zwift and build my own workouts. I can’t quite see enough value in TR to pay almost as much as Zwift but lose the option to join races, group rides, special events etc

@kipster showed me an app that allows you to easily make your own workouts. If I was to do another training block that’s what I’d do. I feel like I could set my own workouts relatively similar to anything trainer road offers. In fact you could join trainer road briefly through a free trial or pay. Take a copy of a training block, and then just re create it yourself. Needles to say I can’t remember the name of the app...

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

For me one of the positives of Zwift workouts is you can create your own. You can also take an existing workout, copy it and edit to your own preference.

I tried Sufferfest but got bored really quickly - the few workouts i tried were good, but the options were limited. Quite a few of the workouts were 'no video' too which made the workouts a bit uninteresting! Others like it though so could be worth giving the free trial a go :okay:

Whorty

@kipster showed me an app that allows you to easily make your own workouts. If I was to do another training block that’s what I’d do. I feel like I could set my own workouts relatively similar to anything trainer road offers. In fact you could join trainer road briefly through a free trial or pay. Take a copy of a training block, and then just re create it yourself. Needles to say I can’t remember the name of the app...
Zwift has this feature too - really easy to use. Stores the ZWO file on your local \Zwift folder. I use this all the time.

kipster

Guru
That'll be https://app.trainerday.com/search

Download the zwo file for any workout, pop it in the right folder for zwift and it appears under custom workouts in zwift.

kipster

Guru
zwift doesn’t store training data though does it?
No, if you want to record and analyze the plan and training regime you could use something like golden cheetah which is free.

Whorty

zwift doesn’t store training data though does it?
No, but isn't that what Strava is for if you pay premium? Or as Paul says Golden Cheetah. I don't analyse the data after the session personally - if I complete the session at 100% then I tweak it to make it more difficult next time until I can do 100% again etc etc. This is simple and works for me for what I need.

Last edited:
That'll be https://app.trainerday.com/search

Download the zwo file for any workout, pop it in the right folder for zwift and it appears under custom workouts in zwift.
That’s the platform I’m considering for training (but need power match because I’m now on a power meter). $4 per month to do workouts from my iPhone, so could cancel Zwift for a few months to get some training done.

Good idea @<Tommy> to do a trial of TR to build a plan then replicate on the cheaper platform :okay:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

You could use BigRingVR software with your own videos/gps files and zwofactory workouts (basically swift training plans). That is all free.

BigRingVR software is free to dl/use and will run your videos/gps files from your pc so you'll not need to pay for access to BRVR videos.

Zwift zwo files can be imported to the workouts folder and overlayed on you video in erg mode.

From my experience the zwo files work seamlessly. I'll be testing my own video files once I get them sync'd with gps files when I get home.

<Tommy>

No, but isn't that what Strava is for if yo pay premium? Or as Paul says Golden Cheetah. I don't analyse the data after the session personally - if I complete the session at 100% then I tweak it to make it more difficult next time until I can do 100% again etc etc. This is simple and works for me for what I need.

I’m glad it works for you Carl. But it’s safe to assume other people may want more metrics when they train. So in a conversation about training plans it is probably worth noting which app do what :smile:

Trainer road offers a concise package of training plans and also very detailed after session analysis. But it comes at a premium. So it’s worth trying to work out the best way of building a similar package in the most concise way at the lowest cost. Strava premium is obviously a pay for service. And it also has very limited metrics so it isn’t an alternative no. Golden cheetah I like and I’ve used a lot in the past. It’s a bit clunky at uploading data from real rides but it bridges the gap between real and turbo rides, and the metrics are excellent I think.

But what would really bridge the gap is if you could create training sessions on the same application that stores your ride data. @kipster I thought the app you suggested did that?

Top Bottom