Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Yes It was.

My first outdoor TT for 10 years. Didn’t think it had been that long until I checked back on Strava.

I’d been running our virtual TTs during lockdown, so thought I’d have another go and support the organiser who’d helped me out with the finishing tables for scratch times, handicaps and vets.

It’s a ‘sporting’ course which basically means its hilly. Straight out the gate and the first 1.2 miles are uphill at 3-4%. Last night we had a brisk south westerly wind and that meant it was blowing across us at 45 degrees which made the start tougher. At the top of the hill, you start a descent which initially takes you over a bridge across the deepest cutting of the M23 motorway, so the crosswind was extra special there!

The wind continued to be a factor all the way to the turn and made the front end of the bike unstable on the steeper descents. That got better on the way back, mainly I think because of more tree cover and by then the wind was more of a tail wind. The times backed that up as I was 26 seconds slower than my previous time over about 4.5 miles from the start of the decent to the turn, but 2m 14s faster after the turn to the finishing line, which is on an uphill finish of 6% over 0.5 mile. Took 17 seconds off my PB there at 2.46, so very happy with that after a tough 10.5 miles

Finished 11th in a field of 21 with a time of 33m 23s. Strava distance and times are a little longer but that’s the difference between having humans on the finish line versus someone guessing where the finish line is on a Strava map.

But I enjoyed it. 3 more to go on a truncated season and I’ll try to ride them if I can.
I know that neck of the woods a bit. Specifically the main road from M25 through to Lingfield. Used to go out with a girl that lived in Lingfield (opposite the race course). When Rach and I were looking at camper vans we headed down there to Bilbos too, and had some fun at the camping shop next door - where you can buy a giant gorilla and giraffe for the garden!!!!! We lived in London at the time with a small city garden so rach said no ... wonder if she'll let me buy one now :whistle:

Great ride by the way :okay:

Last edited:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Just ridden the Aussie Crit Crushers Race 1 of 2 on the Downtown Dolphin ..... Crikey those lightweight Japanese riders go off quick... 😳

Race 2 on the LaGuardia Loop in 6 minutes.... 😉

Del C

Veteran
I know that neck of the woods a bit. Specifically the main road from M25 through to Lingfield. Used to go out with a girl that lived in Lingfield (opposite the race course). When Rach and I were looking at camper vans we headed down there to Bilbos too, and had some fun at the camping shop next door - where you can buy giant gorilla's and giraffe for the garden!!!!! We lived in London at the time with a small city garden so rach said no ... wonder if she'll let me buy one now :whistle:

Great ride by the way :okay:
Never been into Bilbo’s.

May need to check out a giant gorilla for the garden to scare the grandchildren!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Flippin eck mate, what happened? You Ok?
Bit sore, I think I may have pulled a muscle in panic getting out of the clips. :cursing:

I Didn't see the sign on the cycle path informing me of it going to 18% switchbacks as I approached and got caught in the wrong gear and power level and ground to a halt and tipped over :sad:

Where I fell over :cursing::cry:
Nowt wrong with that, perfect for velodrome cornering;)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back wheel has a slight bow to it as well I think, gonna try to get a local bike shop to look at the rear wheel and see if they can true it. I'll also get them to look at the front wheel and order a new one, if it is not salvageable :sad:

Last edited:

Whorty

Bit sore, I think I may have pulled a muscle in panic getting out of the clips. :cursing:

I Didn't see the sign on the cycle path informing me of it going to 18% switchbacks as I approached and got caught in the wrong gear and power level and ground to a halt and tipped over :sad:

View attachment 539911

Where I fell over :cursing::cry:
Doesn't look like Anerley :tongue: And I know the hill up past Crystal Palace Park is steep, but don't recall it being 18% ^_^

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Nothing wrong with a tumble
I am slowly but surely leaving bits of skin all over the country
You did a number on your wheels though - next time try and save the bike
Heal well sir
I got caught out as I thought the track went straight after the initial rise. It didn't.

Instead it went 170° to the right and up 18%. I think I panicked and tried to pedal and unclip at the same time and in the process knee'd the bars causing them to turn sharply thus bend the wheels. Operator error.

Now quite sore in the left hip area so I think no riding for at least a few days. May not be able to ride until I get home 😢

Whorty

Signed up for Cycling Weekly iTT later if anyone fancies a spin. Open categories, timed starts, Box Hill finish :okay:

Whorty

Signed up for Cycling Weekly iTT later if anyone fancies a spin. Open categories, timed starts, Box Hill finish :okay:
Just looked at the results and saw that @Brusgaard rode tonight too :okay: Didn't see you on the ride Steen, but looks like you beat my time by 32 seconds :notworthy: Really good turnout on that course so was never on my own - always someone to chase or try to hold off. Hard due to the lumps, but good exercise :training:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Just looked at the results and saw that @Brusgaard rode tonight too :okay: Didn't see you on the ride Steen, but looks like you beat my time by 32 seconds :notworthy: Really good turnout on that course so was never on my own - always someone to chase or try to hold off. Hard due to the lumps, but good exercise :training:

I meant to do another race at 5.30 (UK) but woke up on the couch at 5.29. :laugh: So I just signed up to the next one, not really checking the route, and was taken by surprise when I realised it was a Box Hill finish.
Heck when I crested Box Hill (or rather the small climb after that), I didn’t push, as I was not paying attention to the distance travelled.:banghead: Might have lost a few seconds there, as the finish was actually just up the road.
Kind of annoying that distance remaining is not shown in these TT races. :sad:

Thankfully BH is not too long, otherwise you would have beat me easily. :smile:

Top Bottom