Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/476644330

Newbury and back, for about 103 miles. The weather forecast was particularly wrong today:eek:.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It was harsh as soon as I reached Hurstbourne Tarrant (out and back) particularly bad on the return, because the hill is 14%, which is bad if you can't see your hand in front of your face for the fog.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
6 of us out today. The call was Trioscape but with some shelter. Some were concerned about to slight southerly breeze which would be a little hindrance on the way down the Hams. So we took to the hedged Castlemorton lanes for Pendock and the trees around Redmarley. Shelter plans worked apart from the unavoidable mile or two from Brand Green. Easy tho' as that's mostly downhill.

Soup for some of us (not sure what some had) and coffee all round set us up for the tail wind return along the Hams. The evidence of the flooding was everywhere on the road and in the hedges with a tide mark quite well up in the hedges. The normal winter flooding has gone mostly now. All good as we have our lanes back. Nice ride out today with a bunch of good pals. Longest one for me in 2016 so far too. Always helps when the temperatures rise.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
First long ride since October (!), the Jack & Grace Cotton memorial audax providing 105 km of mostly lovely South Gloucester lanes.

A nice peloton on the flat fast roads up to the info control at Berkeley, where the group splintered, with some people speeding through and other taking the opportunity for bonus cake - the info was about the local coffee shop! The first proper control was at a very small pub in Epney filled with a lot of cyclists, so I decided to push on. As the route turned back South a strong wind informed me that the good speed so far was not entirely attributable to the legs. The sole longer climb of the day at Cam is not a huge challenge, but some further lumps was taking its toll on my out of form legs. Happily the second control at a lovely farm shop/cafe arrived shortly to refill the energy a bit. From there only a short struggle into the wind to the finish, and then off home.

126 km in total. https://www.strava.com/activities/476544442

Oldbloke

Guru
https://www.strava.com/activities/476644330

Newbury and back, for about 103 miles. The weather forecast was particularly wrong today:eek:.

View attachment 116824

View attachment 116825

View attachment 116826

View attachment 116828

View attachment 116829

View attachment 116830

It was harsh as soon as I reached Hurstbourne Tarrant (out and back) particularly bad on the return, because the hill is 14%, which is bad if you can't see your hand in front of your face for the fog.

Impressive ride that! I used to live near Hurstbourne T and did that one regularly (on motorbike I hasten to add)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A ride of two parts here today heading home from north Norfolk. First up, 24 miles to Kings Lynn station.

image.jpeg

A nice quiet spot (above) near Houghton Hall.

image.jpeg

Another quiet lane on the way to Anmer.

image.jpeg

Heading down towards West Newton near Sandringham.

image.jpeg

The above road is great- wide, quiet and surrounded by woodland- you can smell the pines. Cycling bliss (downhill too!)

Kings Lynn seemed manic after a fairly solitary couple of hours. The traffic jams there always amaze me- the place often seems gridlocked. A joy to cut through that lot by bike of course.

Any ways, after a brew at what has to be the best station caff in the country, I got the train to Ely- just a half hour journey.

image.jpeg

Finally the home straight from Ely- a tad under 16 miles. The above is the riverside path heading south from Ely.

Then on home through Barway and Wicken. I'd been carrying quite some weight in my panniers after a few days away (including work stuff- books, laptop etc), and was certainly feeling it by the time I got home. Early night for me tonight!

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
First long ride since October (!), the Jack & Grace Cotton memorial audax providing 105 km of mostly lovely South Gloucester lanes.

A nice peloton on the flat fast roads up to the info control at Berkeley, where the group splintered, with some people speeding through and other taking the opportunity for bonus cake - the info was about the local coffee shop! The first proper control was at a very small pub in Epney filled with a lot of cyclists, so I decided to push on. As the route turned back South a strong wind informed me that the good speed so far was not entirely attributable to the legs. The sole longer climb of the day at Cam is not a huge challenge, but some further lumps was taking its toll on my out of form legs. Happily the second control at a lovely farm shop/cafe arrived shortly to refill the energy a bit. From there only a short struggle into the wind to the finish, and then off home.

126 km in total. https://www.strava.com/activities/476544442
I did wonder at all the cyclists coming towards me on my ride this afternoon. I wonder if we passed each other? I was on a black carrera wearing a blue endura soft shell.

Hugs
Archeress x

Archeress

Veteran
I did wonder at all the cyclists coming towards me on my ride this afternoon. I wonder if we passed each other? I was on a black carrera wearing a blue endura soft shell.

Hugs
Archeress x

Having looked at your Flyby, I think you turned up Gaunts Earthcott about 30 minutes before I got to that same junction.

Hugs
Archeress x

wonderloaf

Veteran
My first ride report .... my normal route mileage is around the 20 - 25 mile mark , but am aiming to get to 50 miles by the end of the summer so thought today I would try to break the 30 mile barrier. 30 miles is probably not a big ride to a lot of you guys but to me it's like climbing Everest ... well getting to Base Camp anyway!

Set out from Oakley in Hampshire about 7.00 am down towards Popham Airfield then up over Kingsclere Downs towards Hannington along the old Roman Road. The steady climb up this road is really difficult for me (not being match fit) and normally have to stop half way, but today managed to get up there without stopping... result! Only about another 4 or ascents like that to go then :sad: Then down towards Ashe and a quick stop at the source of the River Test, a couple of pics below:
DSC_0058_zpsxamwhgua.jpg

DSC_0061_zps2hooexsh.jpg

From there it was up to Ramsdell for a quick unplanned stop, yet an other bl**dy puncture, still at least there was a bit of variety as it was in the front wheel, (normally I get punctures in the back wheel). If any of the other cyclists who went past and offered their help are reading this post then many thanks it was much appreciated. From there I was on the home leg down through Monk Sherborne and Upper Wootton, was going extend the ride for a few more miles but that's when the legs and the back said "No!" so decided to head straight back home into Oakley for a well deserved cup of tea. :cuppa:

In the end managed nearly 35 miles so at the moment am basking in the glow of my achievement, just looking forward to the next ride! I've just read roadkill's post, 103 miles in one day, how the hell do you manage that! :notworthy:

I've just read roadkill's post, 103 miles in one day, how the hell do you manage that! :notworthy:

It was the worst I've experienced in many years, and I nearly called it at 25 miles, when I'd realised the weather was not close to what I expected. But hey ho, in for a penny, in for a pound.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My first ride report .... my normal route mileage is around the 20 - 25 mile mark , but am aiming to get to 50 miles by the end of the summer so thought today I would try to break the 30 mile barrier. 30 miles is probably not a big ride to a lot of you guys but to me it's like climbing Everest ... well getting to Base Camp anyway!

Set out from Oakley in Hampshire about 7.00 am down towards Popham Airfield then up over Kingsclere Downs towards Hannington along the old Roman Road. The steady climb up this road is really difficult for me (not being match fit) and normally have to stop half way, but today managed to get up there without stopping... result! Only about another 4 or ascents like that to go then :sad: Then down towards Ashe and a quick stop at the source of the River Test, a couple of pics below:
DSC_0058_zpsxamwhgua.jpg

DSC_0061_zps2hooexsh.jpg

From there it was up to Ramsdell for a quick unplanned stop, yet an other bl**dy puncture, still at least there was a bit of variety as it was in the front wheel, (normally I get punctures in the back wheel). If any of the other cyclists who went past and offered their help are reading this post then many thanks it was much appreciated. From there I was on the home leg down through Monk Sherborne and Upper Wootton, was going extend the ride for a few more miles but that's when the legs and the back said "No!" so decided to head straight back home into Oakley for a well deserved cup of tea. :cuppa:

In the end managed nearly 35 miles so at the moment am basking in the glow of my achievement, just looking forward to the next ride! I've just read roadkill's post, 103 miles in one day, how the hell do you manage that! :notworthy:
Well done on your achievement - 35 miles is well over 50km (metric half century) so you've ticked that one off. :okay:
Why not sign up for the half century challenge?

Top Bottom