Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nice sunny stuff out there so I thought a bit more rehab would be a good idea. Cold wasn't a deterrent but there turned out to be some ice in places. Not show stopping amounts thankfully. It seemed a good idea to take the standard Strensham loop. I seemed to pedal fairly well except for the westerly sections when a strong nagging breeze had my pace dropping to below 10 mph on the run up the Guarlford road. The River is going down now but New Street in Upton is still under. Won't be long now I suspect. Nice outing and normality is gradually being restored.

Slow (very) and steady 20.25 miles from Longtown to home via Gretna, Rockcliffe and Carlisle. Went down to see what state the Sheepmount tracks are in but the bridge to the gym and tracks is barred off. Nice to get a decent ride in again, this was the first twenty I have done in at least three months and boy do my legs know it. One spot in the road near Cargo where the ice was very thick and slushy and a couple of other places where there was patches of late black ice other than these bits of Chili Peppers the only problem was the log lorries between Longtown and Gretna.These were scary.

https://www.strava.com/activities/470942343

103 miles (actually 115, but my phone died for 12 miles weirdly) up to Guildford and back. My god it was cold in North Hampshire this morning:eek:. Lots of Ice and frost and slushy mud.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Nice way to get my imperial a month off the ground though:thumbsup:.

Archeress

Veteran
I finished my loonie-versity exams yesterday and before lectures start again next week I wanted to stretch my legs. My ride also had another purpose in that my parents gave me a cycle bell for Xmas but the clamp was too small for the handlebars so I wanted to see Rob at http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk to see if he would exchange it for me (I didn't have the receipt).

My route took me out to Winterborne and then heading for Westerleigh where Robs shop is based. Spent a while chatting with him and he kindly exchanged the bell for a nice shiny brass mini bell, http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/_shop/bells--brass/mini-brass-bell/.

After leaving Rob, I headed for the Acorn cafe and had some tasty carrot cake and coffee (laced with some whiskey from my hip flask). Getting back on the bike I headed for the ring road along a quiet cycle path.

At this point my Garmin Edge 810 decided to shorten my route by cutting across a section of the ring road, and whilst I didn't get lost, the directions could have been clearer.

Heading for my loonie-versity, I knew I was not far from home and was glad of it as I had taken the GT MTB out for a spin and I was feeling puffed.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/470866399

Hugs
Archeress x

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A day off here today so a shortish loop around the fens here.

With the low afternoon sun it made for great owl spotting weather with 4 barn owls and 1 short eared owl seen around Wicken and Burwell Fens. They show up beautifully in the sunshine.

image.jpeg

The windmill at Wicken.

The frost stayed all day in sheltered spots- that's a first this winter here. By about 4pm it was around freezing point so I didn't hang about on the home straight. 18 miles in about 3 hours which included lots of tea/ owl breaks!

https://www.strava.com/activities/470942343

103 miles (actually 115, but my phone died for 12 miles weirdly) up to Guildford and back. My god it was cold in North Hampshire this morning:eek:. Lots of Ice and frost and slushy mud.

View attachment 115979

View attachment 115980

View attachment 115981

View attachment 115982

View attachment 115983

Nice way to get my imperial a month off the ground though:thumbsup:.
Amazing to do such a ride in the chilly conditions, CHAPEAU

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Like most of the nation I'm carrying some extra Chrimbo ballast that needs shifting, so decided a city jaunt on the Mercian single speed was in order to kick start some fat burning.
P1020456%20Large_zpsenvxzbft.jpg

Went past a sour faced old ladies house, she's probably struggling to heat this pile on her pensioners winter fuel allowance. It was cold and windy, this week is the first I've worn full fingered gloves. I was hoping to get some nice winter sunshine or sunset shots but the weather wasn't playing ball.

Despite the missing sun and my 8 year old bog standard compact camera, I like this photo
P1020468%20Large_zpsgi1v4304.jpg

I don't think I'll ever tire of cycling around London, every time I'm away I'm surprised how much I miss it., even in winter. The headwind sections kept me honest and after a few hours it was cold enough I got that numb face feeling, Amanda Holden must feel like that all the time^_^. Back across the river past the Shard, which just needs an eye of Sauron photoshopping in.
P1020473%20Large_zpsbovmvbkc.jpg

36.5 miles is a nice primer for a longer geared ride at the weekend, weather permitting. It feels like my cycle legs are returning, roll on spring.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/7574326
You should get a couple of those pics in the Cycling Photo Challenge :okay:

Attachments

• P1020468%20Large_zpsgi1v4304.jpg
    P1020468%20Large_zpsgi1v4304.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P1020456%20Large_zpsenvxzbft.jpg
    P1020456%20Large_zpsenvxzbft.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 27
  • P1020473%20Large_zpsbovmvbkc.jpg
    P1020473%20Large_zpsbovmvbkc.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 30
Amazing to do such a ride in the chilly conditions, CHAPEAU

That's the thing about the challenges, without them, there would be no way I'd put those miles in in these conditions:blink:.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
32 miles of winter sun fun today on the ice bike, very cold but once I got going I was soon nice and warm. Front wheel decided to go a bit wobbly on me and make some horrible grinding noises with still a few miles to go, so I limped it to the lbs and then walked home. Stopped and took one picture and my hands went that cold I decided that I wasn't stopping for another.

WP_20160116_10_04_14_Pro.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/471355063

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpg
Mini maiden voyage for "Gloria".
Just a couple of wee spins around the block to test her out. Sorted the front brake this morning (in the living room, when Mr M was away golfing :okay:).
Wee rattle from the rear mudguard and needs some minor adjustments for position but on the whole really pleased, nice comfy saddle too.
Was a bit worried about the weight but once we get going just fly along :smile:.
I think we're going to have lots of fun :bicycle:

View attachment 116053 Mini maiden voyage for "Gloria".
Just a couple of wee spins around the block to test her out. Sorted the front brake this morning (in the living room, when Mr M was away golfing :okay:).
Wee rattle from the rear mudguard and needs some minor adjustments for position but on the whole really pleased, nice comfy saddle too.
Was a bit worried about the weight but once we get going just fly along :smile:.
I think we're going to have lots of fun :bicycle:
Gulf Porsche 917 colours:ohmy:. Fair play:okay:

image.jpeg

Top Bottom