Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done @User9609, 38 miles in the freezing cold is still good going.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 4083170, member: 9609"]I had a failure and needed to call rescue - the plan was to cycle the 65 mile down to my parents, meet my wife there and get a lift home, I knew it would be a tough day, heading SE into a strong southerly, but the wind was much more of a head wind and it was a cold persistent energy sapping wind, temperature was only 2 above, hands and feet were freezing and my energy levels were low, my heart just wasn't in it. So I phoned the wife up and asked her to use the same road, and after 38 mile when she was about to pass, I threw in the towel, flagged her down, put the bike on the roof, and took the easy way out. So not a good start to the year, I hate giving up at stuff :sad:[/QUOTE]
It's 38 miles more than I did today. Disappointing for you but still respectable.

the_craig

Veteran
Well done everyone on their efforts today - I had my first ever off today 12km into my proposed 60km ride today. Coming up to a roundabout and I hit black ice and hit the deck hard. A grazed hip and ankle were all the injuries I sustained but the bike didn't get off so lightly. My front dérailleur ended up bent down towards the rear wheel and my left pedal is all scraped.

Called it a day right there and then and cycled home with my tail between my legs.

Happy New Year.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done everyone on their efforts today - I had my first ever off today 12km into my proposed 60km ride today. Coming up to a roundabout and I hit black ice and hit the deck hard. A grazed hip and ankle were all the injuries I sustained but the bike didn't get off so lightly. My front dérailleur ended up bent down towards the rear wheel and my left pedal is all scraped.

Called it a day right there and then and cycled home with my tail between my legs.

Happy New Year.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Still not sure whether I want to put myself through the Metric Century a month Challenge again this year (they don't even give you stars for that one, you know). Thought I'd start the year like I meant business, though, and did a Gloucester-Chepstow-Gloucester "Bridge and Back" loop anyway.

Had the genius idea of using my number two bike, my 17 year old, refurbished, Saracen Skyline flat-barred touring bike. Boy did that backfire on me. After 20 miles one of my metal toe strap holders fell off (two bolts just disappeared) - leaving me cycling slightly lop-sided for the rest of the ride. After 30, I lost the use of my middle chain ring, leaving me either straining to get up every incline in top gear, or else spinning myself into a blur on the granny ring ... eitherway making painfully slow progress. By about the 40 mile mark the saddle left me feeling like I'd fallen on an anvil from a great height. Instead of the strongish SW wind I was expecting to push me home up the A38, I encountered a strongish and changeable E/NE/N/E/SE/N wind that was a bit full-on in my face when crossing the Severn Bridge, and then conspired to wreck my every effort to get a rythm going on the way home.

This was meant to be a "relaxed" all-dayer, with a packed lunch and my camera taken along for a bit of sight-seeing. Ended up being rather painful, and was glad to get home with my computer reading "100.28km". Ached everywhere it is possible to ache by the end. They don't get any easier.

Did take some pictures, though it was a drab, grey day, finished in a drizzle. For what they are worth, then:
(1) The lighthouse at the White Hart at Broadoak (Severn Estuary in the background, typically muddy and quite full):

DSCF3814.JPG

2) Steam engine of the Forest of Dean Railway crossing the road near Lydney Harbour (a welcome excuse to stop):
DSCF3815.JPG

3) Chepstow castle, from the old bridge (taken from the English side of the Wye):
DSCF3818.JPG

4) On the Severn Bridge (normally crawling with cyclists, but very few others daft enough to be out there on a bike today):
DSCF3819.JPG

5) Mission accomplished:
DSCF3822.JPG

That's got that out of the way for now. ..... gives me nearly two whole months to decide whether to take the Challlenge seriously again this year. If I do, it'll be on the Ridgeback, that's for sure. Well done to everyone else who got out today. Happy New Year everyone.
Donger.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

Happy New Year.
Ouch - can't like that!
Hope you're ok and the bike is fixable at not too much expense.

Katherine

Guru
Not sure about the legality of this one:whistle:.

Only pulling your leg, well done for getting out at such a daft time:thumbsup:.

However:
31 miles came up at 11:55

Katherine

Guru
[QUOTE 4083170, member: 9609"]I had a failure and needed to call rescue - the plan was to cycle the 65 mile down to my parents, meet my wife there and get a lift home, I knew it would be a tough day, heading SE into a strong southerly, but the wind was much more of a head wind and it was a cold persistent energy sapping wind, temperature was only 2 above, hands and feet were freezing and my energy levels were low, my heart just wasn't in it. So I phoned the wife up and asked her to use the same road, and after 38 mile when she was about to pass, I threw in the towel, flagged her down, put the bike on the roof, and took the easy way out. So not a good start to the year, I hate giving up at stuff :sad:[/QUOTE]

Not a failure, just a sensible change of plan. You have done a metric half century after all!

the_craig

Veteran
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Ouch - can't like that!
Hope you're ok and the bike is fixable at not too much expense.

Thanks guys. My pride has taken a bit of a knock and dare I say it, my confidence too.

I have a week off work next week and was hoping to squeeze a few rides in, hopefully make a start on joining the Metric ton a month challenge but hey ho.

:B):B):B)

Pat "5mph"

Thanks guys. My pride has taken a bit of a knock and dare I say it, my confidence too.

I have a week off work next week and was hoping to squeeze a few rides in, hopefully make a start on joining the Metric ton a month challenge but hey ho.

If my over 60's friend that took a tumble on ice today, dusted herself off and went on to do 30 miles, you can do it too!

Katherine

Guru

Fingers crosses that you can get it fixed as soon as possible so you can get started with the challenge. Good luck.

Katherine

Guru
I was invited to join a New Year's Day ride from Chorlton. 10 of us started but 2 decided to take a shorter route and waited at the pub, then another didn't stop for lunch , so 7 on the return. A lovely half of Wainwright and delicious fish cakes and chips enjoyed at The Railway in Mobberley. At 47 miles, I knew that I should add loops to start the year with a half century. It was a cold start and seemed more into a headwind than not but I felt the benefit of the tailwind on my journey home from Chorlton. So, 50.7 miles. Winton, Patricroft, Barton, Stretford, Chorlton, Wythenshaw, Hale, Ashley, Mobberley, Knutsford, Tatton. Similar return route, plus loops between Walkden and Ellenbrook to make up the distance. There were plenty of people about today, burning off their Christmas pudding and we saw a few children on shiny bikes (only a bit wobbly) in some of the parks we cut through, which was good to see.

Top Bottom