Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
It was one of those things that started off with me just looking and a map and having one of those "I wonder if it's possible..." moments and then the most challenging thing was devising a route which didn't cross over itself. It's not something I'll be doing again now it's been done once as, while I could just put up with the vehicular traffic in the tourist trap areas, the sightseers/pedestrians wandering all over the place were another matter.

Give me the narrow country roads and decent photo opportunities of Suffolk, South Norfolk and East Cambridgeshire any day.

Great job there!
I once did a ride around Leicester visiting the remaining old tram stops, plus the remaining hints of terminus and main stations (now awaiting development!). Fun for a day, but doesn’t need to be done again!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Started off as a pleasant Sunday morning ride, down the coast towards Troon, about 20k away. Town was busy with people going to the open, and queue at cafe was big. Nice coffee.

Turned back by same route.

About 400 yards from home, going along a path through park. Some rubbish on path, so onto the grass on the left for a few yards.

The last thing I remember was the feeling of the bike slipping out from under me. Apparently I was unconscious for about 2 mins.

Walked home, with the dog walkers who had seen it happen. Spent the next 3-4 hours at A&E. 4 stitches and tetanus jab. A few other cuts and bruises.

View attachment 738400

Helmet has a huge scuff on it, looks like that's what hit the path - things would have been much worse if I hadn't been wearing it. The cut is where my glasses went into the skin.

Clothes covered in blood; most of that was from a tiny cut on my finger!

Bike is OK :smile:

From the small portion of face in the picture, that little scratch won’t take away from those film star looks!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: After lugging boxes round in the morning for a friend who will be moving house soon, I was free from mid afternoon. Stay in and see the last stage of the Tour de France or get out and ride? I chose the latter and went for a quick excursion on the Galaxy again. Just one of my regular routes via Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington and back through Shrewsbury.

From the off the bike felt better than it had at the start of the last ride but by Condover I knew that the setup still wasn't quite right and stopped to raise the saddle by another 3mm. This made quite a difference and the bike seemed to fly along with ease - more so than merely assistance from the tailwind I'd just picked up.

No incidents to note on the way through Berrington, Atcham and on to Upton Magna which was great as I could really enjoy the riding. I seemed to have a headwind on the way to Uffington but it didn't hold me back at all. I decided to leave the old canal path at Pimley and take to the road towards Sundorne Island. This was probably a mistake as the canal path would have been quicker as it's more direct but I still got on alright into the headwind here then round to Sydney Avenue and the weir.

I thought I'd try another change and head past the old gaol and along Smithfield Road, thinking there wouldn't be too much traffic at this time on a Sunday afternoon - another mistake as there was lots of traffic and the temporary lights under the railway bridge had got out of sync with the permanent lights causing tailbacks as people blocked the junction. I filtered through to the lights by the station where, when we got a green light, the guy in the left lane attempted to jump ahead of everyone with a squeal of tyres to turn right.:wacko:

Victoria Avenue was busy with people walking and cycling so care had to be taken then I headed out of town via Greyfriars Bridge and Belle Vue. The climb to home seemed easier than it had on the previous ride.

20.6 miles at 15.3 mph average. A pretty good average for this particular route and sounds less impressive than most of it actually was. If only I'd tried 165mm cranks when I first considered the idea about 10 years ago - they do seem to make a difference for me.

No photos this time.

geocycle

Legendary Member
A wet day in Cumbria for day 2 of my cycling break based in Penrith. I could have been put off but d3cided it was warm rain and would be ok. I decided to reprise the first section of the C2C I did 20 years ago, so I took the train around the coast to Whitehaven and headed west. The rail trail out of the town is not in great condition, I soon heard and saw the Catherine wheeling of sealant signalling a puncture but fortunately this time it did it’s job and didn’t lose much pressure. The tarmac surface was also corrugated thanks to tree roots pushing through and another section was closed due to some work. So I was a bit miffed when I etched the Lake District proper and my spirits soon rose with the fabulous ride along Loweswater. That was followed by the major climb of the day up Whinlatter pass. The cafe in the forestry woodland near the top was an excellent place for lunch and then I descended in sunshine toward Keswick. Any notion of stopping was abandoned as it was absolutely heaving with people. My route continued along the restored Threlkeld rail path and then over the hills in the rain again back to Penrith. A nice 81 km with 1130 m of climbing, have to say I thought it was hillier than that.

Pictures of Whitehaven harbour and Loweswater.

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yesterday’s rain disappeared and the prospects for a third ride in as many days presented. Having had two hilly climbing days I decided on a sprint stage, well a saunter across the flatter parts of Cumbria to the Solway firth. This was new a new quarter of the county for me and I wasn’t disappointed. The road rolled out through lovely villages to the north of Penrith, the houses were hewn from the red Penrith sandstone and richly decorated by lichens. After yesterday’s front puncture I noted the rear tyre was a bit soft this morning so I duly set about it with my hand pump only to deflate it completely as the valve unscrewed with the hose. Fortunately I’d packed my nano Fumpa which is a press fit and that got it to a sensible pressure at the outset. However, by the time I got to Dalston I was sensing a squidgyness from the rear just as I was passing a sign for Mystery Cycles. This turned out to be a workshop adjacent to the undertakers run by a nice chap straight out of Wizard. He checked and added a bit more air. I continued heading north until I got glimpses of the Solway and Scotland behind it. I stopped in Bowness on Solway, famed for its position as the start of Hadrian’s wall and enjoyed a coffee and a scone. The ride around the peninsula was fantastic with excellent views and birds. Unfortunately I then heard the sound of something rubbing the mudguard and it turned out to be a scab of sealant showing it had indeed punctured and partially sealed at a lower pressure. I continued to Wigton and lunch when idealised the rear tyre was really soft. Given the bike shop shuts on Tuesday I gave it a blast with the Fumpa, much to the consternation of the locals. That took the edge off the return as I kept having to stop and check the tyre. I really don’t like tubeless! Despite the mechanical I had a great day with 120 km and 870 m of climbing.

pictures of the Solway.

IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
My last day in Penrith and it dawned dry with light winds. I’d been oscillating between the big empty hills of the north Pennines or the Lakes again. Given the tubeless difficulty I had yesterday I needed to get a replacement spare tube so it made sense to head back into the Lakes and call in Keswick. It’s quite a big pull up through Greystoke then up to Eycott hill. It’s worth it for the views of Blencathra that great you. I went down into Mungrisedale then climbed again along a narrow gated road before picking up the Threlkeld to Keswick track. It’s a lovely route and satisfies lots of different tastes. I had a successful trip to Bike Treks and an open air coffee and cake in Fitz Park. I’d recommend that if you are travelling by bike and want to sit with it in the centre of a Keswick. Next it was a loop of Derwent water, first along the busy east shore then the return along the raised western curtain road. Having ticked Derwent Water off I headed along the east shore of its compatriot Bassenthwaite. The view of the lake from the road is not as good as some others but nice enough. I was also on a mission because the sawmill cafe at Dodd Wood does the best cheese scones I’ve ever tasted. After lunch the ride changed in character and mine was also tested. You climb steeply to the northern Lake District moorland through a series of very steep pitches linking hamlets. I was further tested by sealant
from the front tyre covering me at regular intervals. The tyre deflated to about half its operating pressure but was still rideable if more difficult. I continued across the commons of Caldbeck and Hesketh Newmarket before picking my routs back to Penrith via another bike shop. An excellent ride which I’m trying not to let the tubeless traumas over shadow. 101 km with 1400 m of climbing.

Pictures are of bike getting its first look at Blencathra, two shots of Derwent Water and the descent across the largely unexplored commons north of Skiddaw.
IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0655.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0656.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Out earlier on the now-usual little utility run on the little bike.

Blood pressure had already started to rise passing through the village packed with confused looking boomers haplessly rolling around in unfeasibly large four-wheeled abominations, when I nearly got wiped out by some stupid woman in a pickup swinging wide out of a residential junction past some parked cars on her side; heading straight towards me while gazing fecklessly in the other direction.

I braked and swerved, she saw me and wrenched on the steering wheel once she'd started paying attention to what was actually in front of her vehicle. Her window was open and I wasn't shy of voicing my displeasure as she passed..

Now in a wonderful mindset I continued to the farm for eggs, somewhat distant when chatting to the lovely owner as I still tried to process whether I'd provided an appropriate quantity of fks in return for nearly being run over..

Back through boomerville and out to the next village for the sake of it, stopped at the community centre on the way back for some punishment on the rings before heading back into the village and to the shop for breakfast mushrooms.

Upon exiting I bumped into my occasional bike-mate Dave from up the road. Last time I saw him he was on some nasty cheapo ally MTB; today he was on a slightly battered but still lovely Raleigh Esquire... so we had a chat about that and some other things which helped restore some nice pro-cycling balance to the day.

A slightly shorter ride than usual of around six miles as this week I've had no bottles to dispose of, on account of being alcohol-free for about ten days.. :smile:

A quick gravel ride squeezed into my WfH lunch hour.

I chose a near out and back route to maximise the gravel. From the door to the A1 (the big road pointing 11 o’clock). Fortunately I go under the A1 as its a motorway. The section over Haddon is a rural lane and Bullock Road past the golf course and Oundle Road to Elton are pretty quiet, To complete the triangle the track from Elton back to Bullock Rd (by Over End) is all bridleway except the A507 crossing. I’m then back over the Haddon Hump (lanes) to the bridle way which takes me home
:slight_smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lead the club ride today , a rarity as im normally working or on late shift so home late but with being off work and near the end of my "sick " period my hand is ok to ride .
I was in charge of the "faster" group looking for an average pace of around 16 mph over 50 miles so i planned a route with a cafe stop at the four shires farm shop at seckington .A mixed bunch of abilities and fortunately there were no heroes and everyone who could took turns at the front without killing those who were at the back and taking it steady on hills so we did not blow anyone out the back .
At the cafe we met 4 youngish blokes doing lejog on tandems over a few weeks visiting buddist temples on the way before we rode back home .
65 miles for me in total and the hand was ok apart from the odd bumpy surface i couldnt avoid which was not enjoyable.
Clipboard01.jpg

IMG_20240727_105310_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240727_105338.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My ride took me up to Membland and along the coast road, it was high tide at Mothecombe so traffic was light. Down to Ermington on the A379 and through to the edge of Ivybridge.

Then it was up to the top of Westlake. A car passed me going up the steep hill, then it met 3 vehicles coming down… he started to reverse at me, so I had to jump quickly , around the car I went, but for the red of the hill I felt like my right quad was going to cramp up. I couldn’t stop, I’d have had to walk!

19 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11993937351

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Had some really sh*tty (non-health-related) news yesterday. Escaped on the Ragley for an hour for a slow amble on some local bridleways.

The weather was absolutely beautiful; blue sky with fat fluffy clouds and plenty of sun, a fresh, cool breeze and much lower humidity than recently making it a fantastic afternoon for a ride.

My legs were tired but I just wanted to keep riding forever to avoid having to crawl back into the freshly miserable recesses of my own head.. However, available routes are limited and I ran out of places to go; so reluctantly headed home.. to find another chip on the bike's frame despite taking it very steady on dry ground :sad:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Steady 31 miles with a mix of gravel and road (probably 50/50) on the CX bike. Got a bit wet halfway round but decided against the waterproof. On the way home I diverted to the canal so I could pay a visit to The Waltzing Matilda canal boat that serves coffee, cake and pizza. Just called in for a delicious coffee as I'm not a big cake fan (I know, flame me).
20240727_132944.jpg

First real ride on my 32mm tyre and it felt good. When we said we were doing the extra 5miles route I really decided to test it out too. I never went deep into the red but I gave it a lower threshold effort for circa 20 mins. With the aim of recovering in the pub, lol the pub was shut for a private function, so me and a mate went to one closer to home.

Top Bottom