Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today has been a shocker in South Devon. We walked the dogs at the beach and got a soaking, then I came home and baked crackers, played my guitar and fixed a door handle…..

At about 4ish there was a window big enough to go around the Battisborough loop.

The rain had washed the topsoil into the river.

The honeysuckle was looking and smelling good.

Along the coast road I could see that the clouds were hugging the land.

As I went through the road wide puddles I felt sorry for the weddings and holiday makers who had a rotten day.

11 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11936843742

IMG_3218.jpeg

IMG_3220.jpeg

IMG_3222.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg

IMG_3224.jpeg

IMG_3225.jpeg

IMG_3226.jpeg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Small loop to end the day *Actually two rides, but just one shown. Split [Sic] by a puncture which I walked home to fix; as I was close-by and rear tyre isn’t easy to seat properly / squarely.

Stifling hot here today (Car was reading 28/29c at 11.30am coming back from Town) and still seriously muggy this evening…….

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4492.jpeg
    IMG_4492.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 5

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A few months ago I was playing with the Strave course creator and found that it was possible to make a route starting & finishing at London Liverpool Street station that crossed the 16 vehicle bridges over the Thames to the west from Tower Bridge down to Kew Bridge and then added the bridge over the Serpentine on the way back.
Having ridden it on a wet day in May, I took another look and realised that by adding an additional 5 miles all the vehicle bridges down to Richmond could be covered to make a total of 18 Thames bridges plus the Serpentine, so that was today's ride. The indirect bit towards the end was included so I could have a couple of drinks at the Euston Tap and then made a couple of wrong turns (these may be related!)
1721511666110.png

1721511986457.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
18/7/24
My Ride Today-Recumbent Ride
Trip to Tattenhall on the Spirit recumbent.

As usual I started with the best of intentions, hoping to get going by 0800 but the usual slippage occurred and I didn’t get going until 0850. My original plan had been to join up several shorter rides which I’d done previously to see how far I could go by say, 2pm to give me time to get home in good time. If things went well it might even be possible to go beyond the end of the Chester Greenway to get to Flint or further, though that would involve getting back after dark.

It was overcast with the occasional spell of sunshine which was already quite strong at this early hour of the day.

From Home to Wrenbury
I set off including a turn round the block just to top up the mileage as I probably wouldn’t feel like it at the end of the day if I needed to round it up. Then along NCN 551 in the direction of Nantwich. It started well, with the lights at Darnhall bridge being unusually at green as I approached downhill. Up the other side, I felt rather underpowered, as if my effort wasn’t being efficiently used. I put it down to not having done a good long run recently. Also there was a slight but pernicious headwind, as there often is in this direction.

I continued through Wettenhall. Something still wasn’t right. I stopped in a field gateway and found that the seat had slowly reclined itself by a few degrees since I’d reset it a few weeks ago. Once sorted, it immediately felt better. I’d fitted some different pedals since the last long trip, and I couldn’t help thinking that the seat might benefit from being set back a little. I pressed on. It’s always slow going here, as it looks like a gradual downhill but isn’t, and I always make better progress in the opposite direction. As if to rub it in, two cyclists came the other way, going well.

After passing the marina at Cholmondeston I came across a sign. “Road closed due to Emergency Work”. I carried on, hoping that a cyclist might squeeze through. I made better progress here, and although the sun was out, it was shady in this lane. I came across a truck with some workmen tidying up and putting equipment away, with a long queue of vehicles behind it. As I passed it, it got going, followed by the tailback, in the direction that I’d just come from.

I carried on, feeling a bit more relaxed. I came to a road works sign facing the other way. A car was stopped by it. As I came level, the driver’s window opened, and a woman asked if I’d just come through, and if she could get through by car. I told her what I’d seen, and she thanked me and went on her way.

I came to a downhill leading to a bridge, beautifully resurfaced, and got into top and pedalled madly to get enough momentum to get up the other side. I got up there feeling better about my performance.

Out on to the Chester-Wrexham road, I turned left for Nantwich rather than wait for a gap to get across to Welshman’s Lane. Just before I reached Reaseheath College I pulled in to let the following traffic past then a little further on went right onto a pavement cycle path to avoid the busy roundabout ahead. Soon after that I turned right on to a shared path alongside the river Weaver, then under the road to come out on a path near Town Bridge. Waiting for the lights, then on to Welsh Row, left on to Queen’s Drive to follow NCN 451 to Wrenbury. 451 is relatively harmless with no big climbs but in this direction at least it is a gradual speed sapping incline along Queen’s Drive, over the canal bridge, down and up a couple of dips, through Ravensmoor. It is only in Wrenbury itself that it levels out or allows a slight downhill. I know from experience that it’s a lot faster and easier in the other direction.

Wrenbury to Cholmondeley
I joined NCN 45 at Wrenbury then I came across a traffic queue waiting for the canal lift bridge to rise. I went to the front then pulled in alongside a pub to wait for it all to clear. A boat went by, the bridge came down, the traffic lights let the traffic through in turn, and off I went. Much more countrified from here on, but a steady rise.

Somehow it felt easier being able to see the road rising and dipping as it ascended than just plodding along up an unnoticeable incline making you feel underpowered. The high hedge banks helped to break up the steady headwind that had been in my face until Wrenbury.

I was passed by a couple of cyclists and then ahead was another Road Closed due to Emergency Repairs sign. The two cyclists never came back so I assumed that they’d got through. Further along I came across a road maintenance truck. It looked as if they’d been filling in potholes and were just tidying up. I got through between the truck and a hedge bank and found a car stopped and another one turning around in a gateway.

I carried on. Ten minutes later the truck came past me. A little further on I came to the matching road closed sign facing oncoming traffic. A bit more uphill, a long cooling dip then another climb and I was at the A49.

On the other side I was in Cholmondeley with its unseen castle and surrounding woodlands full of tall scots pines. Despite the road being another stealth climb it was shady here and with the rustling of these ancient trees and their piney smell, very pleasant. There were many large brown dragonflies whizzing about. I imagined there must be a lake nearby. I was aiming for my first refreshment stop at Castle Farm shop and cafe, after about 27 miles. A couple came the other way on bikes, the lady on something electric, though she seemed to be struggling.

I passed the turning for Malpas on the left, then came to some temporary traffic lights at the top of a short climb. There was some work going on at the roadside. As I came to the lights they changed to green and I rolled over the summit. The entrance to Castle Farm was just beyond and I turned gratefully into it.

There were some outdoor tables with umbrellas but they were full. There was a bench in a corner in the shade by a hedge so I locked the bike to it. I had a cheese and ham toastie and a full fat coke thinking I could do with a sugar boost. It was mid day by now. If I’d been at a table with a plate I might have photographed my exotic feast.

Having slowly but surely gained height over the last couple of hours I felt that once I’d got to Harthill the going would be much easier. Following the road that I was on would keep me on the NCN 45. I’d looked at the map before setting off and thought that despite the health warnings about the road to Malpas I could go part way along it then turn right towards Larkton before reaching Hampton Heath then join the Bickerton road and meet up with NCN 45 again in the interest of adding a few more miles to the route.

I was also tempted by the thought of just going back the way I’d just come: downhill towards home with a following wind had its attractions. But no, I told myself. I’m made of sterner stuff. I lingered in the shade for longer than I’d intended and it was 12:40 by the time I got going again.

Cholmondeley to Harthill
Downhill back the way I’d come, right at the junction for Malpas. I was disconcerted by the gradual downhillery of the road, squandering some of the height I’d so painfully gained earlier. Then the road climbed and dipped, and climbed again. Fifteen minutes later I was sheltering sweatily in the shade of an overhanging hedge bank wondering when this frigging hill would end. It was definitely too hot for this stuff. Having cooled off a bit with breathing and heart rate nearly back to normal I got going again. Up and up, slower and slower, hotter and hotter. Finally I came to a crossroads. The road on the right plunged steeply downhill. I’d better be sure that it was the right one because I didn’t fancy coming back up it. Larkton was on the signpost: Bickerton wasn’t. There didn’t seem to be any alternative routes. Looking at the map in the blistering sun made this the most likely road. This must be it. I just hoped there wasn’t an equivalent hill on the other side of wherever this road went.

Up with the stand, on to the bike, off with the brakes, and wheee, casually discarding the height I’d just gained in a mad rush downhill. The road gradually levelled out, no monster climbs, and I came to Ashton’s Cross, turning right for Larkton, then following the main route when a minor road forked off left for Larkton. This was a busier road than before, and undulated a fair bit so I was able to get some speed up on the dips, crawl over the summits, and repeat. Eventually it became more level, a sign for Bickerton appeared then signs for the NCN 45 which joined from the right. Downhill, then suddenly at a crossroads with the A534.

Straight across on to Harthill Lane then gradually climbing again. This was still the NCN 45, and at the next T junction a sign directed me right. Then started a stiff climb up to Harthill. The heat was oppressive, no wind, and it got progressively steeper. I stopped to cool down about halfway up. It was hot when I last came this way, on the Linear, and cycled to the top without stopping but it was a dry heat then, whereas today the very air felt heavy. I carried on, and arrived at the church at the top of the hill.

I stopped to cool down, and I had a look at the Church of All Saints, Harthill. To the left of the lytch gate is a sign stating that there are commonwealth war graves here. Surprising, in a remote wayside church.
P1030113.JPG

Above the porch is an inscription, “RONDVLL PRICKETT CHVRCHWARDEN:EVER SINCE 1600 VNTILL 1611”.
P1030112.JPG

There are many ancient gravestones in the churchyard, and a low family mausoleum near the road. Perhaps in former centuries Harthill was a more influential place than the sleepy village it now appears to be.
P1030110.JPG

P1030111.JPG

Harthill to Tattenhall
Feeling better, I hit the road again. The road leads downhill to the Cheshire Plain and Tattenhall. Last time, I hurtled past the right turn to Burwardsley instead of following NCN 45. For the sake of completeness I intended to turn right this time. I just let the brakes off and gravity did the rest. 35 point something flashed up briefly on the Garmin before I had to brake for an oncoming SUV. Shortly afterwards I turned right following NCN 45. This didn’t look good. I could see a steep downhill but then a steep uphill across a small valley, to a road about level with the one I was on.

Ah well, it couldn’t be that bad. I’d got up the hill to Harthill O.K. To my right a couple of tractors were making a lot of noise in a field, probably getting the hay in. I hoped to be up the other side before they left the field. Down I went, pushing in top to to cover as much distance as I could before I had to start grinding up the rest of other side in low gear.

The road levelled then round a bend appeared an extremely steep hill. I ground up it, hoping that it would ease off soon. Another bend, another steep stretch. This was ridiculous. I was heating up again. I stopped to cool off a bit, then had another go. Then I got off and pushed. If I’d been on my upright bike I’d have got off and walked. If I’d been walking, I’d have got out and walked, if that’s even possible. To add insult to injury the Garmin only recorded a max speed of 29.8 mph from my recent downhill from Harthill. When I checked the route on Bikehike after getting home it showed an uphill gradient of 18% here.

I carried on walking up this cliff of tarmac, on the sunny side of the valley at the hottest time of day with the tractor-y noise in the background, stopping to cool off at intervals, until the gradient eased. Fortunately, after a few mild ups and downs the long downhill through Burwardsley to Tattenhall began. I felt thoroughly wrung out after that experience. I certainly wouldn’t recommend this stretch. The route to Tattenhall that I accidentally took last time was much more accessible despite some climbs.

After the looong downhill I found myself on the outskirts of Tattenhall. After taking the Huxley road I came across a park where I found a bench and took a break. It was about school finishing time with mums and kids about. Tattenhall seems very pleasant. Nevertheless, it would soon be time to turn for home as I’d well exceeded my deadline for turning back. I’d found today slow going. It was only a few miles to Huxley where I could have turned left for Waverton and Chester or right for the route home. An hour or so earlier and I might have decided to carry on further.

Tattenhall to Tarporley
So, to Huxley. Not a bad road despite the traffic. I climbed the high bridge over the Chester -Crewe railway line then another one over the Shropshire Union canal. Soon I came to the right turn for Huxley then another one in the village. The road near the school was crammed with cars, naturally jumbo sized ones but once past this point there was a stretch of downhill to take it easy for a bit. Once beyond this the trend was gradually uphill. It looked as if I would reach Four Lane ends at the start of the rush hour, which would make the narrow road to Eaton fairly unpleasant. I looked at the map and saw that I could branch off to Tarporley then take a minor lane directly to Eaton from there.

I came to the sign for Tiverton and Brassey Green then opposite the entrance to Hulgrave Hall I turned left into Crib Lane. A gradual uphill in the full sun with intermittent shade from trees led to some more heating up.

I stopped before a steep climb up to Birch Heath which narrowed uphill under some trees, waiting for a gap in traffic (or more realistically, a gap in the sound of approaching traffic) and went for it. It wasn’t too bad under the trees, and as the road opened out again into Birch Heath it levelled. Soon afterwards I passed over the A49 far below on a high bridge and was soon in Tarporley. I turned left into the old high st which must have originally been the A49 before the bypass was built.

It was busy with people and traffic and looked the way many main streets in many towns must have looked years ago before they were hollowed out by out of town retail parks and online trading, with pubs, hotels, shops and businesses all looking well attended. It was like a time warp to when I was a young man.

I proceeded up the gradual hill looking for the turning on the right that I needed. Into Forest Road, some more uphill. If it had been cooler I would have appreciated them more, but there were some impressive houses on this stretch of road. I had to keep stopping to cool off despite the shady trees hereabouts. Fortunately there were some open stretches of greenery between the houses where I could stop to catch a breeze. After stopping and starting a few times I could see the summit and plodded steadily towards it. Once the road levelled and I was cooled by my own breeze I started to feel better.

Tarporley to Home
I turned right at the top then after checking the map turned left down Sapling Lane. This went steeply downhill so I just let it rip despite the surface and only slowed down when a car came the other way. Once past, the speed rose again, and even when it levelled out I kept pedalling to keep the speed up over the next rise. In no time I was in Eaton, well cooled off. I stopped to take a picture of a floral display,
P1030114.JPG

P1030115.JPG

then came to a war memorial and a junction. I went straight across, the downhill continued, I pedalled up another rise, more freewheeling. As I passed Dogmore Lane on the left I noticed that someone had been having fun rearranging the signpost arms. Fortunately I knew where I was, but someone less familiar with the area would have been misled.

More freewheeling and easy pedalling along Hickhurst Lane to Hall Lane where I turned left for home. I felt with gravity and wind assistance I’d been going quite well, but slowed down considerably when left to my own meagre resources. Approaching Darnhall, a couple of cyclists with small panniers sped past me as if I was standing still. Well, that’ll teach me. I stopped at Darnhall Village Hall to have a brief sit on a bench and a handful of jelly babies before I trundled on to Darnhall bridge, waited for the lights, sped downhill, and ground up the other side.

Soon I was approaching my back gate, looking forward to a cold drink and a shower.

I’m beginning to have more doubts about the Garmin readings when used as a bike computer, particularly the average and max speed readings. I had better averages previously with several wired bike computers, and they would register even transient max speeds more reliably.

A morale boost:- 5th metric half century this year.

I definitely don’t do heat.

A bit of fine tuning of the seat/pedal distance before the next outing, methinks.

Distance 45.41 miles. Max speed 29.8 mph. Average speed 7.1 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 1497 ft. According to Bikehike.

It occurs to me that this should be in Recumbent Rides. A slip of the Finger! I hope the moderators will indulge me if I also post this in there. Will get it right next time.

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
A few months ago I was playing with the Strave course creator and found that it was possible to make a route starting & finishing at London Liverpool Street station that crossed the 16 vehicle bridges over the Thames to the west from Tower Bridge down to Kew Bridge and then added the bridge over the Serpentine on the way back.
Having ridden it on a wet day in May, I took another look and realised that by adding an additional 5 miles all the vehicle bridges down to Richmond could be covered to make a total of 18 Thames bridges plus the Serpentine, so that was today's ride. The indirect bit towards the end was included so I could have a couple of drinks at the Euston Tap and then made a couple of wrong turns (these may be related!)
View attachment 738274

View attachment 738275

Sounds a fun ‘challenge’. For me: It’s mostly (?) who you ride with / where you ride too that denotes the enjoyment ! Hence being mostly solo - the Photo threads here gives a ride a little more purpose…..

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A Princetown loop today.

It was a little chilly at the start but by Sheepstor the gilet came off.

Going up the rough track to Eylesbarrow I was overtaken by 3 people on gravel bikes who had to dismount… I sailed by albeit slowly, but I sailed by. Enjoy your walk!

The prison is empty at the moment, all the inmates are on holiday elsewhere as the radon gas levels are too high.

A finish with a bacon butty at the Foxtor cafe.

17 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11943684318

IMG_3228.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3231.jpeg

IMG_3233.jpeg

IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg

IMG_3258.jpeg

Until last weeks 40 miler, I hadn't ridden more than 30 miles for a couple of years. This morning went 54 miles! Am a wee bit sore, no pictures. Through Buxton to Dilham and hit the coast road at Bacton, followed this to Cromer for coffee at the Blue Sky cafe. Home via Metton Aldborough Aylsham and a loop to bring me over the fifty. Feeling quite satisfied at the moment, hopefully mojo has returned and will stay.

geocycle

Legendary Member
View attachment 738274

View attachment 738275
It might be that I’m hallucinating after a long ride today but im sure I can see a dragon in that Strava plot!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Interesting ride today to mark the start of this years cycling short break. I have rented a cottage in Penrith for a few days with the intention of exploring the north lakes, Eden valley and north Pennines. The Spa elan got to do some light touring duties for the first time. Today was the outward leg from home to Penrith. I followed the river Lune through Kirby Lonsdale dodging some pretty poor riding by the motorcyclists who gather there. Then I continued through Casterton where I came across a couple of mountain bikers. She was clearly in some distress having fallen off and I suspect broken a shoulder. I stayed with her while her husband went for their car and then A and E. I continued via Sedbergh and the lovely road at the foot of the Howgills, through Tebay to Orton. The cafe was rammed with more motorcycles so lunch was a flapjack and coffee. I did bump into a lot of LEJOGers on a Peak Tours ride. I climbed up Orton Scar which marks the end of the Lune Valley, or Lonsdale, and then entered Eden. It really is fabulous cycling country with quiet roads and beautiful villages. Arrived in Penrith to a really nice cottage behind a pub except they’d messed up the cleaning arrangements so first task was breaking into the linen cupboard and wrestling with a duvet. Definitely a curates egg of a day. 91 km with 1175 m of climbing.

Pictures are of Devils Bridge Kirby Lonsdale, looking toward the Lune Gorge, a stream by the Howgills, first view of Eden.

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I decided on Windgate Hill to start, 170m of climb in about 4km. Still, once you're up, you're up. I then followed the ridge road past Smeatharpe and Tricky Warren, and turned to follow the scarp above Wellington, past the monument, before descending off the Blackdowns towards Culmstock. I picked up another cyclist in the lanes, who was doing a shorter circuit from Uffculme. We parted at the Wyndham Arms - the pub looked inviting in the heat, but I resisted. I opted to go via Broadhembury to climb to Hembury Fort - it's a quieter lane and a gentler climb. Rejoined the main road at the top, got 77km/hr on the descent, but baulked by a horse box ahead. And home for 63km in total with 800m of climbing.
https://www.strava.com/activities/11944993883
image0001.jpg

IMG_20240721_143728969_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20240721_154008112_HDR.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and out early this morning to meet up with a few old clubmates, Dave, Tina, Lee and Paul for a a social ride. Rode out to Arlingham, turning round for our cake stop in Frampton before discovering that the cafe was closed. Cue a bit of improvisation. Rode out to the Eastington Farm Shop Cafe instead for coffee and cakes. Spent longer chatting, joking and catching up with each other's news than we spent getting there.
249..jpg

Then back home via Eastington, Westend, Stonehouse and Standish. A great, friendly, fun ride and all at a speed a couple of mph faster than I would have done on my own. Turns out I'm fitter than I thought I was. 36 miles closer to my target now.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Sounds a fun ‘challenge’. For me: It’s mostly (?) who you ride with / where you ride too that denotes the enjoyment ! Hence being mostly solo - the Photo threads here gives a ride a little more purpose…..
It was one of those things that started off with me just looking and a map and having one of those "I wonder if it's possible..." moments and then the most challenging thing was devising a route which didn't cross over itself. It's not something I'll be doing again now it's been done once as, while I could just put up with the vehicular traffic in the tourist trap areas, the sightseers/pedestrians wandering all over the place were another matter.

Give me the narrow country roads and decent photo opportunities of Suffolk, South Norfolk and East Cambridgeshire any day.

In the morning it was out to Rutland with a local cycling group. Lol, the group was massive but only 8 chose to go to Rutland, its a bit hilly
:wink:
It was a nice under, under, over workout for me.

FB_IMG_1721564418130
Screenshot_20240721-210843_Strava
Screenshot_20240721-210709_Facebook
Screenshot_20240721-210619_Facebook
Screenshot_20240721-210547_Facebook

By way of a recovery in the afternoon I popped out for a flat gravel ride. The destination I had chosen had a strange beauty to it, it was a 2 mile long dead straight and flat drove but it went through the middle of a nature reserve.

Screenshot_20240721-212115_Strava
20240721_140857
20240721_144032
20240721_144050
20240721_145838
20240721_145856
20240721_150200
20240721_150208
20240721_154459
20240721_154515
20240721_154525

bruce1530

Guru
Started off as a pleasant Sunday morning ride, down the coast towards Troon, about 20k away. Town was busy with people going to the open, and queue at cafe was big. Nice coffee.

Turned back by same route.

About 400 yards from home, going along a path through park. Some rubbish on path, so onto the grass on the left for a few yards.

The last thing I remember was the feeling of the bike slipping out from under me. Apparently I was unconscious for about 2 mins.

Walked home, with the dog walkers who had seen it happen. Spent the next 3-4 hours at A&E. 4 stitches and tetanus jab. A few other cuts and bruises.

1721594321477.png

Helmet has a huge scuff on it, looks like that's what hit the path - things would have been much worse if I hadn't been wearing it. The cut is where my glasses went into the skin.

Clothes covered in blood; most of that was from a tiny cut on my finger!

Bike is OK :smile:

Top Bottom