Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
More new parts fitted - and then out to test (And just because it’s too nice of an evening to be sitting inside).

Didn’t get changed from work - so had no suitable pockets for my phone / Strava recording. But being out for 70 minutes - at my normal 15mph’ish pace - means I likely did nearly 17 miles. And each and every one was a joy on what felt like a proper Summers Evening……

**Keeping my old but much loved steed on the road - is starting to feel like owning Triggers Broom 😎

Attachments

• IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1st ride outside in nearly 4 weeks due to my operation using clip on aero bars to give me hand position where i was not stressing the thumb joint although TBH it was no more comfy than riding on the hoods in my usual position and not as aero as my puppy paws position.
I have been doing half hour zwift sessions so i started fairly strong but my lack of any real distance training soon became apparent .For the 1st 19 miles i was averaging 18.7 mph but as i got hotter and hit the gradual climb back home the speed fell to an avg of 17.5 for 24 miles.
I could normally do this speed and distance and class it as a nice steady ride but i was all in for this one , i have some fitness to gain and fatness to lose :smile:

1721245604446.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A slightly longer pubrun yesterday evening. We met as usual at the shops, then headed via Clyst St Mary to cross the Topsham road and take the path towards Powderham and Starcross - I dislike cycle paths, but there you go. We got to the Anchor ahead of the South Devon lot. A jolly evening was had. I was one of the later ones to leave, describing a rather wombly return route after taking the wrong turn on the path and finding the road at Exminster. Got home about 00.30 with 82km on the clock.
82.JPG

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
A slightly longer pubrun yesterday evening. We met as usual at the shops, then headed via Clyst St Mary to cross the Topsham road and take the path towards Powderham and Starcross - I dislike cycle paths, but there you go. We got to the Anchor ahead of the South Devon lot. A jolly evening was had. I was one of the later ones to leave, describing a rather wombly return route after taking the wrong turn on the path and finding the road at Exminster. Got home about 00.30 with 82km on the clock.
View attachment 738004

Getting home from your run at 00.30 is a typo right ? ;)

Joking aside; - no more daft than me normally / preferring to start rides at 4 - 4.30am this time of year i guess........

cyberknight

Another one in the bank , dug out the full carbon today and it was a bit more comfy to ride although someone pulling out of the doctors nearly took me out .According to them i was speeding and i assured them i was not as i was clocking 24 mph down a hill then they claimed it was a blind spot although i clearly saw them dither then pull out .
Hot ride today so im dripping and managed to get the avg closer to 18 mph on a similar course to yesterday . I did stop for a couple of mins to talk to 2 riders from my club who told me they dont ride with them any-more as the club seems to be turning into more of a social cake ride club , of course if thats what they want then thats fine but not catering for the long serving members seems a bit odd .

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another one in the bank , dug out the full carbon today and it was a bit more comfy to ride although someone pulling out of the doctors nearly took me out .According to them i was speeding and i assured them i was not as i was clocking 24 mph down a hill then they claimed it was a blind spot although i clearly saw them dither then pull out .
Hot ride today so im dripping and managed to get the avg closer to 18 mph on a similar course to yesterday . I did stop for a couple of mins to talk to 2 riders from my club who told me they dont ride with them any-more as the club seems to be turning into more of a social cake ride club , of course if thats what they want then thats fine but not catering for the long serving members seems a bit odd .
Makes me think of one of the serial letter writers to the local paper who had a rant published about cyclists descending off the Long Mynd at 70 mph.:laugh:
Amazing how we are always either causing a hold up or we're hurtling round at breakneck speed.:blink:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wednesday: I had an unexpected couple of hours free on a fabulous morning so decided to make the best of it. The Hawk was easy to get out and my regular Acton Burnell route was favourite to get the most miles in the time available.

It was a proper summer morning for once - warm but fresh feeling and not much in the way of wind. The morning rush was underway when I set out so the A49 was quite busy but I was lucky enough to catch a gap in the traffic and got out onto the main road with barely a pause. It was good that everyone seemed quite well behaved this time.

I met the odd vehicle on the lanes to Longnor, Acton Burnell and Cound Moor but generally it was nice and quiet and with the lack of wind the riding was quite nice and relaxed. I didn't feel like I was pushing the bike particularly hard so the average speed at the end was a pleasant surprise, especially as I decided to go for a change of route towards the end, heading from Cound to Pitchford then to Weeping Cross and Meole. I know that Pulley Lane near the end of the ride is not a road I can keep up a good average speed on.

24.6 miles at 14.3 mph average. 1229 feet of climbing. Great to get out and a nice way to start the day.

20240717_085134.jpg

Across the playing field to Concord College.

20240717_090519.jpg

20240717_090525.jpg

A couple of views on the way to Harnage.

20240717_090721.jpg

At Harnage.

-------------------------------------------------

Today: After fitting shorter 165mm cranks on the Raleigh, and liking them, I wanted to make the same modification on my Dawes Galaxy. I've had the parts for a couple of weeks or so and had the chance to fit them yesterday so got out for its first proper test today.

I'd have liked to try longer ride but thought that a repeat of Wednesday's route would be good as none of it is too far from home if anything went wrong. The bike felt pretty good from the off but after about a mile and a half I felt that the saddle could do with adjusting so paused to move it forwards a few mm. That worked and I made decent progress into a brisk headwind ( 14 gusting to 22 according to the met office) though Condover, Ryton and Longnor. Passing the school in Longnor a group was waiting to cross with a couple of teachers stood in the road - they did stand aside to let me through before the children crossed.

After the crossroads I picked up a tailwind and had a good run to Frodesley and Acton Burnell, only marred by getting held up by a couple of vehicles. The wind kept on helping to Cound Moor (got held up by a chap walking his dog - him one side of the road and the dog the other) where I enjoyed a good run along the long straight. Perhaps pushing hard at the warmest part of the day on the warmest day of the year so far wasn't the best idea and by the time I climbed to Harnage I was feeling it a bit. The descent to Cound was quite fun though. Flag of the day was the St George's Cross - unchanged from when I came through on Wednesday.

I did almost change my mind about the route at Cound Stank but a large tractor coming along the road made me decide to stick with it and head for Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton. It's quite undulating going this way but the plus side is there were some good speeds recorded on the downhill bits, particularly as I had the wind helping.

At Weeping Cross I had a long wait to join the main road and it would have been even longer if not for a polite Tesla driver who let me out ointo traffic. I picked up a headwind again at Meole Brace and it is also a climb from here to home so I lost a lot off my average speed in the last mile or so. Strava seems determined to take more off than my speedometer though, which is annoying.

24.6 miles at 15.7 mph average. 1228 feet of climbing recorded (at least that's reasonably consistent). 36.8 mph top speed.
Nice to get out as always. The new cranks feel good and I'm looking forward to getting in some more miles with them. I'm not entirely sure I've got saddle height/reach right just yet - I'll get there though.

No photos from this one.

cyberknight

Got out today with the intention of getting the metric century challenge ride in as im running out of opportunities this month, i had arranged to ride with a long term acquaintance who wanted to get around 40 miles in so i did 12 miles before we met up then rode on the front for most of the ride as hes recovering from hernia surgery .Cafe stop at the skinny kitten in barton under needwood which he paid for as thanks for drafting him around the ride .
We then came back through walton on trent where the bailey bridge has been closed when a bin lorry tried to get across ripping the barriers and as it was over the max weight the bridge also needs inspecting , luckily the footpath is open so we walked over it before continuing .
I started to struggle after about 48 miles due to dehydration even though i had taken 2 bottles and a coffee due to the humidity and my fitness has slipped due to no long rides for a month , doesnt help i have put weight on either !
I had 11 miles left to do when we split at the end of the planned ride so i eased back on the pace plodding around to get my target distance in. Thumb was hurting towards the end after i caught a pothole wrong. Feeling a bit drained now so i can say i have earned a beer tonight :smile:
1721490686365.jpeg

1721490793540.png

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Got out today with the intention of getting the metric century challenge ride in as im running out of opportunities this month, i had arranged to ride with a long term acquaintance who wanted to get around 40 miles in so i did 12 miles before we met up then rode on the front for most of the ride as hes recovering from hernia surgery .Cafe stop at the skinny kitten in barton under needwood which he paid for as thanks for drafting him around the ride .
We then came back through walton on trent where the bailey bridge has been closed when a bin lorry tried to get across ripping the barriers and as it was over the max weight the bridge also needs inspecting , luckily the footpath is open so we walked over it before continuing .
I started to struggle after about 48 miles due to dehydration even though i had taken 2 bottles and a coffee due to the humidity and my fitness has slipped due to no long rides for a month , doesnt help i have put weight on either !
I had 11 miles left to do when we split at the end of the planned ride so i eased back on the pace plodding around to get my target distance in. Thumb was hurting towards the end after i caught a pothole wrong. Feeling a bit drained now so i can say i have earned a beer tonight :smile:
View attachment 738233

View attachment 738235

Was silly hot here in Suffolk today. I’m not great in the heat….even more reason why we started out at / before first light.

So: Kudos to you for persisting through !!

Top Bottom