Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Evening movement with a mate on his new bike…..

Attachments

• IMG_4388.jpeg
    IMG_4388.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 11

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Lovely way to start a Sunday 😎

I’ve always said I’m really a walker / rambler. And cycling was a means to an end - to be able to eat copious amounts of cake and not explode.

Times are changing. I’m REALLY enjoying my rides….👌

Attachments

• IMG_4397.jpeg
    IMG_4397.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4396.jpeg
    IMG_4396.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4389.jpeg
    IMG_4389.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 22

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No pictures and im not sure it counts as a ride ?
Just rode up and down the road too see how the hand copes with it and its still uncomfortable to brake so im not ready to try it any further yet , its only been just over 3 weeks since i had the surgery so i cant really expect more .
Back on zwift for another 35 min session and i was dripping as i joined a higher pacer group.

Cavalol

Legendary Member
No pictures and im not sure it counts as a ride ?
Just rode up and down the road too see how the hand copes with it and its still uncomfortable to brake so im not ready to try it any further yet , its only been just over 3 weeks since i had the surgery so i cant really expect more .
Back on zwift for another 35 min session and i was dripping as i joined a higher pacer group.

It all counts and even riding it up/down the road is more than some people will have done today.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This weekends cycling shenanigans. Seeing as the weather is so nice here down in the South East of Englandshire, I decided a trip to the seaside for a full English would be the order of the day.
So got myself up and out the door at silly o'clock for a ride to Herne Bay on the north Kent coast.
Heading along the rolling hills of the Pilgrims way pulling myself up Hollingbourne Hill before a nice 10 mile descent to Faversham, followed by the speedy run in along the Graveny Marshes to Whitstable that the Friday Night Riders Club love so much. Then a nice bimble along the sea wall dodging all the dog walkers to Herne Bay. Grabbing a full English at Mackaris on the sea front whilst watching the world go by before winging my way back Via Hempstead Valley and Rochester and the rolling hills back to home.
So scores on the doors.
120.01 nice, warm weather, sometimes sunny miles for the day.
July's imperial challenge ride done.
Imperial century #342
Imperial Century month #164 in a row.
1 more 118 Eddington to get that number. Now for beer, curry and footy.

GShZDj9WAAA0MOE?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Tankerton. Herne Bay in the distance.
20240714_094859.jpg

The village of Offham's Quintain (for those who like to Joust)
20240714_072159.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
This weekends cycling shenanigans. Seeing as the weather is so nice here down in the South East of Englandshir, I decided a trip to the seaside for a full English would be the order of the day.
So got myself up and out the door at silly o'clock for a ride to Herne Bay on the north Kent coast.
Heading along the rolling hills of the Pilgrims way pulling myself up Hollingbourne Hill before a nice 10 mile descent to Faversham, followed by the speedy run in along the Graveny Marshes to Whitstable that the Friday Night Riders Club love so much. Then a nice bimble along the sea wall dodging all the dog walkers to Herne Bay. Grabbing a full English at Mackaris on the sea front whikst watching the workd go by before winging my way back Via Hempstead Valley and Rochester and the rolling hills back to home.
So scores on the doors.
120.01 nice, warm weather, sometimes sunny miles for the day.
July's imperial challenge ride done.
Imperial century #342
Imperial Century month #164 in a row.
1 more 118 Eddington to get that number. Now for beer, curry and footy.
View attachment 737508
Tankerton. Herne Bay in the distance.
View attachment 737509
The village of Offham's Quintain (for those who like to Joust)
View attachment 737510

Wow ! Fabulous effort, write-up and pics.

Enjoy the food and entertainment…..

Two rides for me today. In the morning I went out with a local group to Clopton.

In the afternoon I went Veloviewer OS Tile bagging on the gravel bike.

I got to one tiny village with a main road running through it and it was totally jammed with cars. Then I noticed the car park in the local pub.

One other thing of not it isn’t half flat out there in the Fens
:wink:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nearly didn't go out as I'm utterly exhausted, however wanted to make the most of the football, the last two weeks have been a little short on cycling and I've not been out on the Fuji for a while.

Roads were noticeably quieter if not dead and the weather was fantastic - a proper hazy summer evening.

I feel even more ruined now but really relaxed in bed after a nice hot shower, so will hopefully get a good night's kip for once.

About 19 very slow but mostly pleasant miles..

IMG_20240714_212036.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Went out for a short ride around sunset, taking advantage of deathly quiet roads whilst the match was on.
(I'd already seen my choice of sports earlier from Wimbledon).

Went past some parked motorcyclists on Box Hill who made a few rude noises/comments about the effort I was making as I steamed past trying to get a personal best. Because motorbikes never go fast? :wacko:
Utter failed to improve my PB but it was my best effort in 6 years.

Reached the vewpoint but the valley below was already in the shade.
1721006975011.png
Turned for home and got one more glimpse of the sun over the cafe before descending to the A24 and making my way home.
1721007143149.png

1721007242767.png

Only a tiny ride, just shy of 13 miles. Legs were feeling rather tired from 3 hours of weeding at the allotment the day before, so I hadn't wanted to go further.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Lots of things to distract me lately so I haven't got many rides in over the last month. I have had a couple of recent ones though and here they are:
Friday: I'd managed to get the bike out a couple of times for short utility rides but really wanted to get something longer in and kept getting frustrated by other things. One that particularly annoyed was going to do some tinkering on the Raleigh and finding both that and the Galaxy had punctures. A short window of opportunity arrived on Friday afternoon so I took it.

Just a quick run round one of my regular routes and I used the Hawk as it was easiest to get out. Waterproofs were taken as it had been raining on and off during the day while I was trying to work, however they weren't needed in the end.
I had a decent tailwind on the way to Condover which was good for progress but it didn't seem to hinder when I changed direction in the village.

It was getting into the rush hour so there was plenty of traffic about but I found more than the usual share of polite drivers and everyone else treated me well even if I did see signs that some were a bit stressed.

The road past Attingham Park has been surface dressed but it does appear to have been done fairly well for once. I expect it will make it more draggy on the downhill side of the road though.

Having headed through Upton Magna and Uffington I took a little bit of a tour round the town centre and was going to go from Victoria Quay through The Quarry, however there was a stage set up for concerts over the weekend and I didn't fancy the narrow path being used as a diversion so crossed the footbridge and climbed up Porthill, which I haven't done for a while.

20.4 miles, 12.7 mph average and 782 feet of climbing from this one. It was great to get out and blow away those frustrations from the week.

20240712_155610.jpg

The view to the Wrekin from Berrington.

20240712_161536.jpg

Roses at Upton Magna.

20240712_164002.jpg

St Mary's Water Lane

-----------------------------------------------------

Yesterday (Sunday): It would have been good to get my brother out for a ride but having done a couple of long shifts beforehand he wasn't feeling like a ride - not even when I offered a pub stop.:huh: I used the Hawk and headed out to do my own thing instead.

I mentioned recently about riding to Picklescott and being tempted by the road to Thresholds so decided to go for that route. I started out on very familiar roads through Condover to Ryton. There were a couple of riders here that I overtook, they were going at a sociable pace though to be fair. At the Longnor crossroads a rider came past at a drink stop and was only just going quicker than I was so I was tempted to give chase. That lasted a mile or so before it got a bit much on this heavy bike, then when I pulled in to let a car past he disappeared out of sight. I did catch up again just before crossing the A49 to Dudgeley and I presume he must have had a stop at some point.

At Dudgeley Farm I met a Range Rover at the narrowest point of the lane. The driver says "Good job you're skinny". After that it was all pretty quiet on the way towards Leebotwood and up the climb through Smethcott and on to Picklescott.

Starting up the lane to Thresholds I heard a large vehicle somewhere behind me and pulled into a driveway to let it past. The livestock lorry was very large and only just fitted up this lane - at least I wouldn't have any issues with vehicles coming down the hill for a bit. The climb was slow and steady - never too steep and the biggest problem I found with it was all the annoying flies that pestered me until I'd crested the summit. The views at the top were good and I enjoyed the descent to Stitt where I joined the main road to Pulverbatch, there wasn't much traffic at all and what there was didn't seem to be in a rush which made for enjoyable riding through the rolling scenery.

The descent of Cothercott Hill was quite exhilirating and I hit a new personal best top speed - 44.2 mph. Quite something on this bike and I'm pleased to report that it felt super stable at this speed. Towards the bottom of the descent I actually caught the traffic that had overtaken me at the top. The climb into Pulverbatch felt a lot easier going into it with a good fast run up.

I took it easy for the rest of the ride back - enjoyed the fast bits when they came, but not pushing it. Crossing Lyth Hill via Little Lyth just finished off the climbing nicely.

28.4 miles at 12 mph average. That new top speed of course and Strava claims 2223 feet of climbing. This was one of those rides that makes me feel alive. I really needed that.

20240714_113912.jpg

Looking towards Caer Caradoc on my way to cross the A49 for Dudgeley.

20240714_121601.jpg

20240714_121626.jpg

A couple of views at Picklescott.

20240714_123050.jpg

The top of the climb.

20240714_123500.jpg

I think I might have accidentally cycled into The Shire.

20240714_124612.jpg

More rolling scenery en route to Pulverbatch.

20240714_124802.jpg

The view before I descend Cothercott Hill.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've not been enthusiastic recently about doing more than local rides, so today's plan was to cycle the six miles to the excellent Willowbrook Cafe, eat and then return.

As I got going on the sadly underused Temple I quickly realised that my mojo had returned. I took a right turn instead of a left and enjoyed the 11 miles to the White Post cafe in Langford Budville.
20240716_122928.jpg

Shocking photo - sorry! And yes, the saddle has shifted, that was quickly remedied.

From the cafe I decided to extend my return along the bottom of the Blackdown Hills looking up to the Wellington Monument.
20240716_125621.jpg

A further 17 miles saw me back home and invigorated. This is the first ride on which I've really got the Temple - it's very different from my other bikes; shorter, and lower at the front.

Last edited:
I've not been enthusiastic recently about doing more than local rides, so today's plan was to cycle the six miles to the excellent Willowbrook Cafe, eat and then return.

As I got going on the sadly underused Temple I quickly realised that my mojo had returned. I took a right turn instead of a left and enjoyed the 11 miles to the White Post cafe in Langford Budville.
View attachment 737793
Shocking photo - sorry! And yes, the saddle has shifted, that was quickly remedied.

From the cafe I decided to extend my return along the bottom of the Blackdown Hills looking up to the Wellington Monument.
View attachment 737794

17 miles saw me back home and invigorated. This is the first ride on which I've really got the Temple - it's very different from my other bikes; shorter, and lower at the front.

That looks very close to my commute from when I worked in Taunton in the late 1990's. I rode on a fairly new Raliegh M-Trax with A halogen light that used two large batteries a week and was so bad that it was better to switch it off on the lanes and use night vision.

The light is long gone, but the M-Trax is in the workshop next to me as I type this...

Last edited:
Top Bottom