Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
Took 15 year old son with me to the club this morning. We did the foundation ride, 38.1 miles at 13.6 mph. He does athletics, but generally long jump, triple jump and hurdles so not a great deal of stamina but he did really well and is keen to come out again next week. I've checked the credit card and it's not quiet full so I can get him cycling jerseys etc.. Now to teach him how to change a tube.

http://www.strava.com/activities/83838665

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What with holidays, ropey weather recently etc etc hardly did any cycling in August so trying to get going again in September. Put on a couple of kgs and lost a chunk of fitness so it is tough going. Out Friday to replicate a bit of the route of a local sportive I did this May; High Peak Hog.
I seem to have repressed memory syndrome regarding this event as I had forgotten how tortuous the climbs were out of Castleton (Pindale Road) and Hathersage (Scotsmans). The wind picked up a bit late in the ride so back to Glossop into a W3 headwind over the Snake was tough going.
No stops apart from a bottle refill in Hathersage. Asda flapjack squares kept me going....just

http://www.strava.com/activities/83637514

postman

Squire
Superb ride don't know exactly how far, i forgot to put the computer on.But i used the heavy mountain bike and went to Cavendish Pavillion that is just past Bolton Abbey.But i was in such good form,and this might sound terrible i blew my mate away.I had already stopped twice to let him catch up before Bramhope which is only six miles from home.So i told him i would see him in Otley,which i did,he then dropped back so i said i would see him at Bolton Abbey,well i got just short of BA when the mobile rang.He had just got to Ilkley Golf Club and his legs had gone and he was going home.I know i should not have let him go home but i was on fire.In my defence this is the first time ever i have left someone.On a mountain bike hell i am so chuffed.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

78 miles today, Worthing>Shoreham>Storrington>Pulborough>Petworth>Midhurst>Chichester>Littlehampton>worthing

A bit overcast but otherwise ok. I headed up on a regular loop and deviated into a few new lanes. I had my longs on and overshoes and a base layer…I thought it wpould be to much but a few miles into the ride I knew it was the right ‘outfit’ to be seen out in lol!

I Saw this outside a pub and wondered what I’d done to deserve such a welcome! Maybe my outfit isn’t doing me any favours around here!

[/URL
]

My legs felt strong and I was cruising for the mostpart, even the hills seemed easier than usual, maybe because my legs staid warm in the longs??

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/5act.jpg/]

I stopped in Petworth at the market square..popped into @we are so up our own ***** estate agents to be treated like a peasant because I didn’t have more than £500K cash in my back pocket..nice to know the money club is alive and well in Sussex.

Petworth is a nice town, Midhurst isn’t so picturesque but the countryside around Midhurst is better.

I caught up with a CTC group riding out of Portsmouth in the lanes after Midhurst, friendly bunch.

Then the batteries on my phone ran out so no more pics. The ride back from Chichester was really quick as I had a tailwind for a change. Just one numpty hooting and yelling on the A259, which classes as an exceptionally good day in numptyland!

Most enjoyable ride![/URL]

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
A nice day for it today, just a 15 miler that went up and down a bit. I've done that Houghton Hill BOB better than Bury is it anywhere near as hard as Devils Dyke?

Houghton hill is ok...its the same hill as bury hill from the other side. Bury hill isnt a lot of fun mainly because its on a busy road and the road surface is that horrid large stoney crap in tarmac that saps your energy . I wouldnt call houghton hill easy though...its a short relatively sharp start then a longer drag up to arundel. Compared to Devils dyke ...hmm...well the Dyke from Brighton side isnt to bad...I ride from Hove and there is a killer hill to start with (forget its name) again on a busy road..then its a gently climb to the top...the Dyke from the north is tougher, saddlescombe farm area the hill is steeper, but I find it easier than Houghten hill for some reason...maybe its mental as houghton was one of the first decent hills i 'conquered' and it always seemed a toughy to me. Ditchling beacon is again a steep climb but I find it easier than houghton ...dunno why as its higher and steeper lol! The hill at Duncton is 'fun' long steady drag at just the wrong gradiant for me (UP lol!). I've done bigger hills than these in america and on le jog, all of which I refuse to not get up, even if i have to crawl on my belly, which I do regularly lol!

i had a nice ride ti Guildford... on a train. watched the cycling and came home on the train. i'm knackered now.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Got home from work earlier than I had anticipated, so in a spur of the moment I decided to ride to Welwick to see the gunpowder plot sculpture. I wanted this ride to be a bit of a training ride, not only for me to get miles in on the bike, but also to judge food/drink intake and energy levels and see their impact on my performance. I made another stupid error by setting off without eating breakfast (I hadn't planned on going), so that is something to avoid next time.

The initial route took me east towards Brandesburton, but that involved a bit of farm tracking and (cough) trespassing. After Brandesburton I initially headed towards Hornsea, then hung a right (south) and twisted my way down through the windswept Holderness countryside (met 2 lovely old blokes out riding with their maps and flasks near Ellerby) then taking in the lovely Burton Constable Hall before heading to Roos, Patrington and finally Welwick. Got to Welwick in good time so had a little cyclist's picnic in the hedgerow - as you do - and decided to push on towards Spurn Point. Got most of the way down to the lighthouse, but the road turned to dunes, and I didn't fancy getting sand in my SPD's with 50 more miles to ride to get home. The roads round Spurn are clogged most weekends with people twitching, and their seemingly desperate attempts to park as close to the reserve as possible to limit walking distance is comical - no worries for me, ride on through....

Heading home I knew I was low on energy, but I managed to stock up on goodies in Patrington. I stopped again on the way back at Burton Constable Hall, and sat chilling in the late sumer sun on a bench. Just as I got back to my bike a bloke ran past. He was almost out of sight before I got my stuff together and a leg swung ower. He was going at a right pace because It took me a mile to catch him. Might also have claimed my first CC'er spotted on a ride (Ping @craigwend) he looked resplendant riding south into New Ellerby in his Brooks top (If it was him?) - 75 miles in I was blowing out of my @rse and only registered who it was a mile up the road in Rise. Feeling quite tired the last 20 miles were dragging, but I got home with a round 99 miles under my belt, and I am comfortable enough with the 13.5mph average to not feel any pressure to got out for another 1,609 metres.

It was also my biggest ride of the year, biggest ride with my Audax bike, biggest ride ever on my self-built front dyno hub.

Photos later once I work out how to do it.

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Got home from work earlier than I had anticipated, so in a spur of the moment I decided to ride to Welwick to see the gunpowder plot sculpture. I wanted this ride to be a bit of a training ride, not only for me to get miles in on the bike, but also to judge food/drink intake and energy levels and see their impact on my performance. I made another stupid error by setting off without eating breakfast (I hadn't planned on going), so that is something to avoid next time.

The initial route took me east towards Brandesburton, but that involved a bit of farm tracking and (cough) trespassing. After Brandesburton I initially headed towards Hornsea, then hung a right (south) and twisted my way down through the windswept Holderness countryside (met 2 lovely old blokes out riding with their maps and flasks near Ellerby) then taking in the lovely Burton Constable Hall before heading to Roos, Patrington and finally Welwick. Got to Welwick in good time so had a little cyclist's picnic in the hedgerow - as you do - and decided to push on towards Spurn Point. Got most of the way down to the lighthouse, but the road turned to dunes, and I didn't fancy getting sand in my SPD's with 50 more miles to ride to get home. The roads round Spurn are clogged most weekends with people twitching, and their seemingly desperate attempts to park as close to the reserve as possible to limit walking distance is comical - no worries for me, ride on through....

Heading home I knew I was low on energy, but I managed to stock up on goodies in Patrington. I stopped again on the way back at Burton Constable Hall, and sat chilling in the late sumer sun on a bench. Just as I got back to my bike a bloke ran past. He was almost out of sight before I got my stuff together and a leg swung ower. He was going at a right pace because It took me a mile to catch him. Might also have claimed my first CC'er spotted on a ride (Ping @craigwend) he looked resplendant riding south into New Ellerby in his Brooks top (If it was him?) - 75 miles in I was blowing out of my @rse and only registered who it was a mile up the road in Rise. Feeling quite tired the last 20 miles were dragging, but I got home with a round 99 miles under my belt, and I am comfortable enough with the 13.5mph average to not feel any pressure to got out for another 1,609 metres.

It was also my biggest ride of the year, biggest ride with my Audax bike, biggest ride ever on my self-built front dyno hub.

Photos later once I work out how to do it.

Yes it was I, 'Le Craigwend' - sorry didn't spot you - though did I say hello? (where you on a tourer?) -

Just doing a quick 22.5 - my riding companion had bailed earlier claiming lack of 'fitness' I was listening to football at the time so may have been vaguely distracted :smile:

Must get down to Spurn one day; (is it free for bikes?) 10 years over this side - a bit lazey really...

Chapeau on your mileage !

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Yes it was I, 'Le Craigwend' - sorry didn't spot you - though did I say hello? (where you on a tourer?) -

Just doing a quick 22.5 - my riding companion had bailed earlier claiming lack of 'fitness' I was listening to football at the time so may have been vaguely distracted :smile:

Must get down to Spurn one day; (is it free for bikes?) 10 years over this side - a bit lazey really...

Chapeau on your mileage !

Yeah, you did say hello, but your distraction was not caused by derrierel breathing like mine....:blush:

At Spurn I didn't pay...:whistle:

Yes, I was on my light tourer (Ridgeback Tour 2013) c/w SON 28 hub and B&M lights.

It's that time of year again for CP night rides (aka an excuse to ride 5 miles to a pub and drink beer)...I'll have to get some sorted.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I left my phone at a client's house today. I say left it, it fell out of my pocket while I was bathing their dog and it fell into the towel basket.
I noticed that it was missing after the groom and en route to the bank so hubby went back to look for it at customer's house. Not there. I must have left it at home then, I thought and didn't worry about it again until I got home and it wasn't there either. Customer then rings hubbies phone (and changed half my settings finding his number) to say that she'd found my phone and this is where the cycling comes in.

Home to Dereham the most direct route that I could find so from home through the town to Barnham Broom, up the hill at Brandon Parva and then hooked left up Candlestick (really, that's what the road is called) and headed past Mattishall and on to Yaxham and then on the B1135 to Dereham, heading towards the town centre where customer lives. Gets phone and had a quick swig of water and explaining where my gear levers were as she couldn't see any. Then back the way I had come. I came a slightly different way at Barnham Broom because I forgot to turn at the post office and must have thought that I still lived in Barford. I then realised my mistake so turned right at the next sensible turning, over the B1108 and down Low road to the back of Carleton Forehoe and back on to the Barnham Broom Road towards Wymondam. There were a gazillion tractors and other farm vehicles out so I turned up Youngmans Lane and headed towards the top of Wramplingham Road and into the left hand side of the town. Happily the two roundabouts were devoid of traffic so I got over them and then headed along the cycle path at the edge of Harts Farm road. Its only a 40 zone but nobody ever heeds the speed limits even though the police station is at the top of it at the roundabout.

At the lights I turned left down the hill, past the station and headed towards home. My bike computer said 29 miles and I thought that was daft so I did a quick loop of some local roads before home.
33.15 miles in 2:27:33 so averaging 13.7 ish and I was quite pleased with that. I could have gone further, I had lights on but I am not keen on riding in the dark by myself and I needed some tea and a biccy anyway.

Not sure I'll get out tomorrow as my pal is moving house and we are helping her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom