Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wayne Tully

After 3 days off due to the weather and that thing called work I had a great ride today - 66 mile loop around Malmesbury, Tetbury, Nailsworth and Wotton-under-Edge, was feeling ok so went on and did a smaller loop to take the miles up to 105 in 6thrs 40. Pretty chilly and a pain of a wind but a thoroughly enjoyable ride nonetheless.

First century ride for me in over 20 years so I think that almost counts as my first fullstop.
My wife is from Malmesbury. Wonderful part of the world. Great work on getting the 100.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

Well it’s pretty wiiiiiiindy down here today…from the west mostly and the sea has white horses etc. I felt pants when I woke up so it was up and out on the bike…anywhere…no plan…just get out and ride and see what happens.

What happened was that I rode around the town a bit, did a few errands, then had a cuppa in th eart café here on the beach..£1.40 for a cup of PG tips !!! Sometimes I get chatting to people there but today I was the only mug in the place. So I went round to the bike shop and asked about turbo trainers as it is a Tracx dealer…the bloke there was clueless…wasn’t even sure he was a dealer, so I informed him he was as Id seen his listing on the web….so he found me a brochure and gave it to me and went back to his tea…hmm..

So…it was time to head up to the hills….th eweather was rubbish…windy grey and threatening rain ..so I headed up through sompting up to the top of Steyning Bostal again, down into the village and a chat with a pompous estate agent woman dripping in jewellery and hooray henry arrogance…so I went over to the guitar shop for a poke around. Then I rode back down to the wind tunnel of DOOM…the A259 from Shoreham west to Worthing. Usual warfare rules apply, buses and trucks have instant right of way regardless of saftey or road conditions.

Im just getting back into a winter weather mindset and riding in longs and base layer..bah…bring back summer!

30 miles slow pootle but with a decent climb.

London Female

Über Member

Well it’s pretty wiiiiiiindy down here today…from the west mostly and the sea has white horses etc. I felt pants when I woke up so it was up and out on the bike…anywhere…no plan…just get out and ride and see what happens.

What happened was that I rode around the town a bit, did a few errands, then had a cuppa in th eart café here on the beach..£1.40 for a cup of PG tips !!! Sometimes I get chatting to people there but today I was the only mug in the place. So I went round to the bike shop and asked about turbo trainers as it is a Tracx dealer…the bloke there was clueless…wasn’t even sure he was a dealer, so I informed him he was as Id seen his listing on the web….so he found me a brochure and gave it to me and went back to his tea…hmm..

So…it was time to head up to the hills….th eweather was rubbish…windy grey and threatening rain ..so I headed up through sompting up to the top of Steyning Bostal again, down into the village and a chat with a pompous estate agent woman dripping in jewellery and hooray henry arrogance…so I went over to the guitar shop for a poke around. Then I rode back down to the wind tunnel of DOOM…the A259 from Shoreham west to Worthing. Usual warfare rules apply, buses and trucks have instant right of way regardless of saftey or road conditions.

Im just getting back into a winter weather mindset and riding in longs and base layer..bah…bring back summer!

30 miles slow pootle but with a decent climb.

Just how slow/fast do you consider a slow pootle?

colly

Re member eR
Todays route was almost the same as saturdays

Beercrocombe. What a blinding name for a place.^_^^_^

London Female

Über Member
Saw this on my ride today to Wittenham Clumps.

Wittenham Clumps.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
26 miles this morning on my own as everyone else was doing stuff. (Golfing, working, driving to Northumberland etc.) The weather was to good to waste so I did a regular road circuit of mine around Cogenhoe, Whiston, Grendon and Sywell.
I had to be back in time for a shower, lunch and off to work for 15:00 or I'd have been out all day, it was so lovely out :sun:

http://www.strava.com/activities/83623500

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

Just back from 40 miles on one of my regular loops...this is the pub at the bottom of Houghton Hill near Arundel. Nice to see th esunshine and blue skies making an appearance, but cool in shorts and just a shirt but that's what 'tough guys' do ha ha!

One numpty driver sounded her horn continuously as I climbed houghton hill even when you could have got a chieften tank past me...dippy blonde 20 something in the usual little citroeny tincan...other than that incident free. Not riding properly for a week has taken its toll....mostly in my right hip joint for some reason..aint age lovely ha ha.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
A nice day for it today, just a 15 miler that went up and down a bit. I've done that Houghton Hill BOB better than Bury is it anywhere near as hard as Devils Dyke?

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Had an evening meeting (yesterday) up at Wicken Fen so decided to test the recently poorly legs with a ride over there and back. Through Swaffham Prior then out across the fen onto the Lodes Way all the way to Wicken. Good to see plenty of swallows and house martins still about. I counted almost 50 swallows swooping over one turf field near Lords Ground Farm. I reckon they're picking off emerging crane flies among other tasty snacks. They'll soon be replaced by fieldfares and redwing- can't believe how fast summer has passed.

Only had time for a quick pic just before sunset, this is Wicken Fen (at a place called Monks Lode)

Monks Lode.jpg

After my meeting it was a wonderful ride home under the full moon. As its mostly off road, I did most of it without any lights at all and a lone fox was as startled as I was as we met eachother on the path. 16 mile round trip in all, the legs seem to be pain free at last - a really superb ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom