Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Born2die

Jut done a 27 mile loop to market bosworth and back time for lunch then off o the gym

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I just extended the commute this morning into the rural countryside, it was nice (bright and sunny) and fresh so I did so without a sweat :smile: I looped into the wind, so although pace was slow I got blown into work :bicycle:. Its turned wet this evening so I think I might take a shorter way home (I do need to divert to a supermarket for milk but its not a massive diversion).
I was hoping for a visual feast of photos :sad:

Peteaud

Veteran
Todays route was almost the same as saturdays but anticlockwise and with an added bit half way round.

large.jpg

Got a weird puncture at Ilton and ended up having to use the spare tube. It looks like the valve has been torn by the rock or flint i hit??

Puncture fixed (CO2wins again) and it was onwards towards the Levels and North Curry

large.jpg

large.jpg

Before crossing the Taunton Canal and heading back south alongside the M5

large.jpg

large.jpg

Back down past Taunton Golf course and around Taunton to cross the A358 by the Nags Head pub (the safe place to cross)

large.jpg

Back into Chard via the Stop Line.

All in 37 miles, 1 nutty horse who was dancing about all over the road, 1 suicidal squirrel and a dragon fly bouncing of my hand!!!

Even turned out sunny :hyper:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As some of you may have heard there was a bit of a bike race coming through my area today so I headed off to Market Drayton to have a look.

After getting in a mood due to things not going to plan and me leaving the house 15 minutes late the ride itself went quite smoothly. I went out past the New Meadow (football ground) and headed to Atcham where I turned towards Upton Magna. Then down the lanes through Rodington Heath and onto the main road to High Ercall and to Stoke Heath via Eaton upton Tern and Stoke on Tern. A quick run up the A41 for a bit (not very keen on that) and finally finished up at a village called Longslow which looked good for viewing on the map as the riders would have to negotiate a series of S-bends.

Despite setting out late I made up the time en route (in spite of a blustery cross wind) so had plenty of time to look around and pick my spot.

The entourage starts coming through up to half an hour before the riders with plenty of police bikes to make sure the road is clear. The police riders were also having a bit of a laugh with the crowds and getting them in the mood, which was nice.^_^

When the two groups came through (there was a breakaway group with approx 2.5 minutes lead) they were shifting a bit so it was practically impossible to tell who was who. I just pointed the camera and got off as many shots as I could. They've mostly come out okay.:thumbsup:

I then faced the return home. Getting back into Market Drayton was slow due to all the crowds and the held up traffic dispersing. I ended up in a part of town I didn't know and had to navigate by guesswork - that actually worked okay.:laugh:

The route back was mostly the reverse of the way out, except that I headed to Condover and Lyth Hill to add a few miles. The wind was stronger and wasn't helping on the way back so the journey was quite a bit slower. (I did still manage to catch two other riders on the way back and had a nice chat with one of them)

When nearly home I realised I'd have done over 60 miles but not quite 100km by the finish, so an extra figure-of-eight loop was added in the village to get the mileage where I wanted it.

62.4 miles this trip at 14mph average overall and although tired, my legs don't feel as bad as after Saturday's ride.

HPIM1305 Edit.jpg

The spot I picked to watch from.

HPIM1308 Edit.jpg

I was impressed with how many outriders they had to keep the road clear.

HPIM1310 Edit.jpg

I wonder who they are supporting?:whistle:

HPIM1312 Edit.jpg

Arrival of the breakaway group.....

HPIM1317 Edit.jpg

...and a couple of minutes later, here comes the main peloton.

DSC02029.JPG

Lunch stop on the way home. The elephant grass is doing well.

DSC02030.JPG

Near Upton Magna - archery butts set up ready for later.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
All I can say is phew! And :dance:. Just 3 miles today, but the best 3 miles of the year. After some enforced saddle leave for two weeks (caused by thigh muscle pains), managed a pain free ride just now - to the barbers in the next village, then a quick circuit of my own on the way back, just to make sure. Should be OK now for a few months - I'm sure Mrs G will be pleased there'll be a lot less moping about the place now! Good to be back. ^_^

mooseracer

Guru
After 3 days off due to the weather and that thing called work I had a great ride today - 66 mile loop around Malmesbury, Tetbury, Nailsworth and Wotton-under-Edge, was feeling ok so went on and did a smaller loop to take the miles up to 105 in 6thrs 40. Pretty chilly and a pain of a wind but a thoroughly enjoyable ride nonetheless.

First century ride for me in over 20 years so I think that almost counts as my first fullstop.

As some of you may have heard there was a bit of a bike race coming through my area today so I headed off to Market Drayton to have a look.

After getting in a mood due to things not going to plan and me leaving the house 15 minutes late the ride itself went quite smoothly. I went out past the New Meadow (football ground) and headed to Atcham where I turned towards Upton Magna. Then down the lanes through Rodington Heath and onto the main road to High Ercall and to Stoke Heath via Eaton upton Tern and Stoke on Tern. A quick run up the A41 for a bit (not very keen on that) and finally finished up at a village called Longslow which looked good for viewing on the map as the riders would have to negotiate a series of S-bends.

Despite setting out late I made up the time en route (in spite of a blustery cross wind) so had plenty of time to look around and pick my spot.

The entourage starts coming through up to half an hour before the riders with plenty of police bikes to make sure the road is clear. The police riders were also having a bit of a laugh with the crowds and getting them in the mood, which was nice.^_^

When the two groups came through (there was a breakaway group with approx 2.5 minutes lead) they were shifting a bit so it was practically impossible to tell who was who. I just pointed the camera and got off as many shots as I could. They've mostly come out okay.:thumbsup:

I then faced the return home. Getting back into Market Drayton was slow due to all the crowds and the held up traffic dispersing. I ended up in a part of town I didn't know and had to navigate by guesswork - that actually worked okay.:laugh:

The route back was mostly the reverse of the way out, except that I headed to Condover and Lyth Hill to add a few miles. The wind was stronger and wasn't helping on the way back so the journey was quite a bit slower. (I did still manage to catch two other riders on the way back and had a nice chat with one of them)

When nearly home I realised I'd have done over 60 miles but not quite 100km by the finish, so an extra figure-of-eight loop was added in the village to get the mileage where I wanted it.

62.4 miles this trip at 14mph average overall and although tired, my legs don't feel as bad as after Saturday's ride.

View attachment 29485

View attachment 29486

View attachment 29487

View attachment 29488

View attachment 29489

View attachment 29492

View attachment 29493

View attachment 29485

View attachment 29486

View attachment 29487

View attachment 29488

View attachment 29489

View attachment 29492

View attachment 29493
Nice report and pics Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom