Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
f*** me ragged.
I picked up a trike from somewhere in Peterborough, got comprehensively lost trying to get out of Peterborough, had a visitation at Stilton, then rode the trike to Huntingdon, where I wimped out and got the train.
About 30 miles in three hours of actually pedalling. Into a headwind. On something that weighs twice what my Carbon Uberbike weighs and has the aerodynamics of a garden shed.
Not a terribly long day, but a pretty hard one.
You should have said you were in town and I could have guided you out.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Didn't think of it, TBH. Nor did I imagine it'd be so difficult to navigate out of Orton Waterville onto the Yaxley road. I knew things were not going to plan when I went past Wilkinsons for the second time...

Yesterday was my main ride, a couple of mates and me headed over to do the Ronde Picarde, we took a wrong turning though and ended up on the medium route rather than the long one. It was forecast to be constant rain :rain: but we were pretty lucky on that front and it was just occasional drizzle.
There was a little jaunt through town back to the hotel and I managed a 6th place on strava (if Id known it was a segment I might gave it some welly. I was 7th but the KOM maxed at 99mph and averaged 66mph over 396miles and he was at least double the speed of everyone, so I flagged it :rolleyes:)
Today I met the same folk again and a few others in a cafe in the town centre and headed out to see a local road race, we weren't so lucky with the weather :rain:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
90kms this morning which included a (80km) 50 mile Time Trial !

http://www.strava.com/segments/1462296

Possibly the toughtest cycling event I've done, for the last 5 miles my legs were screaming at me to stop.
Managed to finish & although I was the slowest male rider, was pleased to beat the Vet. standard for my age.

Some awesome riders out there today, and I doff my hat, sorry helmet to them :thanks:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Yesterday was my main ride, a couple of mates and me headed over to do the Ronde Picarde, we took a wrong turning though and ended up on the medium route rather than the long one. It was forecast to be constant rain :rain: but we were pretty lucky on that front and it was just occasional drizzle.
There was a little jaunt through town back to the hotel and I managed a 6th place on strava (if Id known it was a segment I might gave it some welly. I was 7th but the KOM maxed at 99mph and averaged 66mph over 396miles and he was at least double the speed of everyone, so I flagged it :rolleyes:)
Today I met the same folk again and a few others in a cafe in the town centre and headed out to see a local road race, we weren't so lucky with the weather :rain:

Rode the Ronde Picarde last year, in fantastic weather 30 degrees & no wind.
Finished the 135km route in 4 hours 10 minutes !

Hoping to ride it again next year :smile:

Didn't think of it, TBH. Nor did I imagine it'd be so difficult to navigate out of Orton Waterville onto the Yaxley road. I knew things were not going to plan when I went past Wilkinsons for the second time...
Too late now, but the easiest way from (Bristows ? Orton Longville) is to north on to Oundle Road and go left and you are out of town very quickly and you can cut down south easy. I'm guessing you went through the estate and into the town centre then out to Yaxley.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Just 10 miles - that itself not of note, however

1. Pumping your tires up to the correct pressure is the best-est & cheapest upgrade
  2. There was a field of sunflowers just coming into 'bloom' - what's happened to our weather / crops this year ?

robjh

Legendary Member
Joined the fast group on this morning's club ride, rather than my usual middle group. Same as every time with the top group, had a great fast ride for 3/4 of the route then imperceptibly something happened and I realised I was at the back, caught up twice, slipped back again and knew this time I wouldn't be catching up. A couple of other stragglers made me feel not quite so bad! My legs will be reminding me of this ride for some days to come.
Oh, and autumn has properly arrived - fallen leaves all over the place.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I did the Leeds York 100 yesterday with a few others I have started riding with, two stepping up and doing their first 100. Rode in on my own to meet them there and pay my £20.00, the ride started well with a short wait at the first stop to let a couple catch up. the second leg was probably the best bit where we all stopped together along some good roads before the weather closed in to make it a somewhat miserable ride. Once in York one of us punctured (using cycle ways always results in this in my experience so I try to avoid them) a few more punctures followed this over the next few miles all the same rider and the ride started to slip away a bit. One of the '100 newbies' hadn't brought rain wear and was starting to get a tad cold and the Sunday paper up his jersey wasn't cutting it, I had a survival blanket in my pocket so that was wrapped around him inside his jersey too and he was sent to the next feed station to warm up whilst we fixed yet another puncture. a few good climbs and descents were made in the next few miles before the return half. at this stage our group was split in two as we battled (inclement) weather conditions at this point another puncture was incurred by those in the rear group, this time needing the ride mechanic to come out, and an enforced ride in the broom wagon to the next feed station.once we had all met up and warmed up in a feed tent the ride continued and we finally finished the ride within 5 minutes of the final mop up and event closure. I got a lift home as enough cold, wind and wet was encountered throughout the day
I was a bit sorry to see that no food or water was supplied with the event and some of the stops had in my mind inappropriate food stalls for a ride of this distance. The masseurs had all gone home by the time I got to the finish and again no drink or snack in with the ride price. This was the first ride the organisers had run and some parts they got so right and others so wrong, it should be better next year but I might give it a miss for a year or two. well done to the two that soldiered through on their first 100 and every one else that turned up on such a rotten day.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Only a short 28 miles this morning as i wanted to beat the rain. Did a new route that meant i had to go onto a pretty fast busy country A road for what the map said was only a short distance. What i didn't know was that distance was vertical and my life flashed before me several times.

Once i had escaped back onto the lanes it was a very pleasant ride through Hildenborough and then back up through Hadlow and West Peckham to home.

With the harvest now over the farmers are out scaling down the overgrown hedgerows which today with the wind would have come in useful as shelter from the wind and there was loads of crud on the road from the storms last night. Made for some interesting chicanery on the road.

DSCF1062.JPG

The fields look a bit bare now

DSCF1064.JPG

colly

Re member eR
I did the Leeds York 100 yesterday with a few others I have started riding with, two stepping up and doing their first 100. Rode in on my own to meet them there and pay my £20.00, the ride started well with a short wait at the first stop to let a couple catch up. the second leg was probably the best bit where we all stopped together along some good roads before the weather closed in to make it a somewhat miserable ride. Once in York one of us punctured (using cycle ways always results in this in my experience so I try to avoid them) a few more punctures followed this over the next few miles all the same rider and the ride started to slip away a bit. One of the '100 newbies' hadn't brought rain wear and was starting to get a tad cold and the Sunday paper up his jersey wasn't cutting it, I had a survival blanket in my pocket so that was wrapped around him inside his jersey too and he was sent to the next feed station to warm up whilst we fixed yet another puncture. a few good climbs and descents were made in the next few miles before the return half. at this stage our group was split in two as we battled (inclement) weather conditions at this point another puncture was incurred by those in the rear group, this time needing the ride mechanic to come out, and an enforced ride in the broom wagon to the next feed station.once we had all met up and warmed up in a feed tent the ride continued and we finally finished the ride within 5 minutes of the final mop up and event closure. I got a lift home as enough cold, wind and wet was encountered throughout the day
I was a bit sorry to see that no food or water was supplied with the event and some of the stops had in my mind inappropriate food stalls for a ride of this distance. The masseurs had all gone home by the time I got to the finish and again no drink or snack in with the ride price. This was the first ride the organisers had run and some parts they got so right and others so wrong, it should be better next year but I might give it a miss for a year or two. well done to the two that soldiered through on their first 100 and every one else that turned up on such a rotten day.
Was that the organised ride out of Roundhay Park? I saw that as I set off yesterday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom