Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out again today, despite not originally intending to. Back on friday the forecast said rain for here today but yesterday that was changed so I thought I'd do the Ellesmere ride I originally planned to do back in November.

Although I've ridden round the Ellesmere area before, this is a first for me as I've always taken the bike in the car previously.:blush:

I started off by dropping into Shrewsbury and heading towards Montford Bridge (close pass here on a straight empty bit of road. I was not impressed!) then Little Ness and Ruyton XI Towns. From there I went down the lanes to Stanwardine-in-the-Fields and Bagley before riding along the Baggy Moor towards Hordley, Tetchhill and Ellesmere.

I had my lunch by The Mere then started back taking a slightly scenic route past Whitemere, Colemere, English Frankton, Cockshutt, Stanwardine-in-the-Wood and Baschurch.

On the approach to Baschurch I had someone come up behind me, wait patiently for a safe place to pass and do a really nice wide overtake. I was about to wave in thanks when I noticed he was surfing the net on his iphone.:wacko:

When I passed Cockshutt I was starting to run out of energy a bit. (The 3 beers I had last night have nothing to do with this.:whistle:) I was okay on the flat but was down to a crawl on the slightest of hills so I decided to take the most direct route home through Walford and down the main road to Shrewsbury.

Todays mileage was 47.5 miles at 11.85 mph average.

DSC00919.JPG

At Montford Bridge - one of the octagonal toll houses designed by Thomas Telford.

DSC00922.JPG

Ruyton XI Towns (this is a shortened version - the full name is Ruyton of the Eleven Towns)

DSC00929.JPG

Looking down on the canal at Ellesmere, another of Thomas Telford's projects. When this canal got to the Mersey, the new port at the village of Netherpool was named Ellesmere Port.

DSC00931.JPG

In the centre of Ellesmere.

DSC00934.JPG

In Ellesmere. No, I don't know how it got the name.

DSC00937.JPG

The Mere.

DSC00945.JPG

I knew I shouldn't have turned down Scotland Street.:laugh: (This was taken at Colemere).

DSC00946.JPG

Yes, it is for real. Cockshutt's claim to fame is that the first project funded by the National Lottery was the Millennium Hall in the village.

DSC00950.JPG

This is education country. I have today ridden past Adcote School, Ellesmere College and this, Walford Agricultural College.

DSC00951.JPG

Back in Shrewsbury. The high water has left a souvenir. That'll be good for navigation on the river.:wacko:

EDIT: I've uploaded more of the pictures from today HERE if you are interested.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
37 miles to Hertford and back. Took in all the hills, rather than choosing the normal flat route. Lots of cyclists out today - everyone looked happy and all said hello....not often that happens. Average speed 12.5mph - not too bad for my Surly LHT on 35c tyres.

I did the Hertford loop this morning with a couple of friends. Did you go clockwise or anti? We must meet up sometime.

Steve H

Large Member
First 100km audax of the year. Goodbye Christmas Pud organised by Huddersfield CTC. 100km in the flatlands of South and East Yorkshire. Got round in under five hours with an average speed of 15mph. Rounded it off with a mug of tea and a humungous wedge of cake.

A grand day out.

HI Vernon! I also did this audax today. The flattest audax ride I've ever seen! Really nice route away from the main roads just about all the way around. Thought the weather was great for this time of year.

Paulus

Hertford loop? Have a linky or gpx for this?
Hi there mallory, I don't unfortunately go in for modern technology, But, from where I live in Barnet, head north through Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, and take the B158 towards Essendon and Hertford. Go under the railway viaduct and then turn right towards Brickendon and Bayford. Follow the signs to Epping Green and then Newgate Street. At the roundabout in Newgate Street turn right, Down Carbone Hill and up to the ridgeway. Straight across into Vineyard Hill to Northaw. Bear right towards Potters bar and back to Barnet, Hope this helps.

Mallory

Thanks. I'll try to trace the route on toaster.

I live in hendon and like to head over to Ridge so this gives me more options :smile:

Paulus

Thanks. I'll try to trace the route on toaster.

I live in hendon and like to head over to Ridge so this gives me more options :smile:
There are a great many lanes around Ridge and Shenley, which I know well, should you want to meet up at some point for a ride out let me know. :smile:

Mallory

There are a great many lanes around Ridge and Shenley, which I know well, should you want to meet up at some point for a ride out let me know. :smile:

I may just do that :smile:

Just trying to rebuild my base level and get used to hills again ;)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Cycle geocaching again today but with a difference. Our friend Mark was with us and brought his two husky dogs. He does Bike Joring with them so he got pulled along while we cycled. Same as yesterday, pedal - stop - search for cache - sign log - back on bike - cycle etc.. We took our little Jack Russell with us as we thought that a 7.5 mile run would tire the little so and so out. It did Yay! We reached a staggering top speed of 13.8mph but averaged only 5mph, but that would be the stopping and walking about that brought the average down. 13.8mph is not fast for us on a MTB, but for a very small 6 year old Jack Russell with an attitude problem, its not too shoddy.

Had an absolute blast. We only have the middle section of the event caches along the Marriotts Way - between Drayton & Taverham to find now. I forsee more cycle geocaching this week.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
HI Vernon! I also did this audax today. The flattest audax ride I've ever seen! Really nice route away from the main roads just about all the way around. Thought the weather was great for this time of year.

There was sufficient moisture in the air for it to condense in my beard and remove the need to stop for a drink - I just sucked my beard.

Not only is the route flat it also goes past the most featureless square kiliometre of land in the UK.

081429_ba9ccedc.jpg
Officially the dullest Geograph square in the UK.
Yes really. According to the OS who have scanned the whole of the UK maps by computer, this is the most featureless square in the UK. In the distance there is a row of pylons and one of them stands in the far corner of the square. The land is billiard table flat and there are no drainage ditches in it to speak of. The mud is a rather nice shade of brown. It really is that dull.
_1600225_ousefleet_300map.gif

My wife and I e-biked to the local country park for a coffee and a muffin, then home again.

On the way back we encountered a group of CTC riders. I hope I don't offend anyone on this Forum if I observe that they seemed a bit of a wierd bunch.... they were all riding along in silence and seemed oblivious of anyone else - such as my wife. She was browned off all the way home by their attitude.

(I sincerely hope I have not offended anyone by my comments. I only report what we experienced today, and would not wish to imply in any way that all CTC groups act in the same way......)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My wife and I e-biked to the local country park for a coffee and a muffin, then home again.

On the way back we encountered a group of CTC riders. I hope I don't offend anyone on this Forum if I observe that they seemed a bit of a wierd bunch.... they were all riding along in silence and seemed oblivious of anyone else - such as my wife. She was browned off all the way home by their attitude.

Had you not considered that they might have considered you weird for being out on e-bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom