Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Nipped out mid afternoon for a fast 10 miles in just under 33 minutes :smile:

postman

Squire
A little tootle into Otley,very surprised at the weather very mild.Roads damp and muddy,but what did please me was the new butterfly bars which i got as a christmas present ,off e -bay.Now i have got four hand positions on the mountain bike,much better.And a very nice sarnie and bit of coffee cake at Cafe,cafe Newmarket Otley,he told me he is a cyclist friendly cafe,as a group from Harrogate pop in there,i guess that must be Easy Wheelers.All in all a grand day out,first one since late November,i have to confess.i just couldn't be bothered before.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I managed a bit of a jaunt this afternoon. Another new route and the first time I've ventured into Wales on one of my rides.

It's quite cold out today which was a bit of a shock to the system after the last few fairly mild days.

The route started out going the same way as the last one: into Shrewsbury and out past Bicton to Montford Bridge, where this time I turned left and joined NCN route 81 towards Melverley.

This took me through various little villages such as Shrawardine and Pentre and also round the edge of the Nesscliffe military training ground.

After Melverley I went through Crewgreen, Halfway House, Westbury (met a flock of sheep), via the lanes to Pontesbury then home via Plealey and over Lyth Hill.

The ride was 33.2 miles and because the first half was fairly flat I was able to keep up a reasonable 12.8 mph average speed.:thumbsup:

DSC00953.JPG

Nearing Melverley. This whole area is flat and low lying so the village can often be completely cut off when the Severn is in flood.

DSC00954.JPG

The River Severn crossing at Melverley. This bridge used to carry the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway's Criggion branch over the river but was changed to a road bridge after the line closed. It's also the Welsh Border although there are no signs to say so.

DSC00956.JPG

Looking back towards Crewgreen. It's quite misty down there.

DSC00959.JPG

Approaching Westbury & giving way to sheep. (apologies for the poor focus)

DSC00960.JPG

Pontesbury. The village was in the news for the wrong reasons last summer.

DSC00961.JPG

On Lyth Hill. Looks misty over towards Church Stretton too - I expect there'll be fog tonight.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
32.18 shopping errand today on the 'brid. Then I met the enemy for tea and cake at a cafe then we cycled home together in the luvverly sunny sunshine which was shining its sunniness on us. If it wasn't for it being cold it could've been summer.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 2245173, member: 259"]07:30 - rode to Doctor's
07:55 - told not to ride any more for the next three or four weeks.
08:00 - put bike in garage and walked to bus stop :cry:[/quote]
:sad: Sorry to hear this.

Rob500

First ride out of the 2013 Season for me today.:smile: 25 Miles.

Also this was the first time out with the Crud Mk II guards on. Fantastic. Ok, it wasn't raining but the ground was still wet in places and some gritty grime was thrown up by the wheels. There were several puddles along the route. I was amazed at how well they worked. The chainring protection offered by the Mk II was a great idea.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nice little potter out for lunch and back in time for a :cuppa:. 43 miles in lovely sunny shine

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
..... the first time I've ventured into Wales on one of my rides.
When I was staying in Shrewsbury, I would ride into New Town (Wales) & ride around the hills, lovely quiet lanes. Also, I remember riding by the Pontecellin Viaduct (not sure I've spelt that right), & then rode up to it & looked back down where I had just come from, holding onto the railings as I don't like heights, but it was worth it. I must admit I ventured into Wales more than riding around the Long Myndd area. Your rides remind me of some good rides I had up there.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When I was staying in Shrewsbury, I would ride into New Town (Wales) & ride around the hills, lovely quiet lanes. Also, I remember riding by the Pontecellin Viaduct (not sure I've spelt that right), & then rode up to it & looked back down where I had just come from, holding onto the railings as I don't like heights, but it was worth it. I must admit I ventured into Wales more than riding around the Long Myndd area. Your rides remind me of some good rides I had up there.
I'm glad you like. One of the things I want to do this year is to expand my repertoire of routes as I do have a tendancy to stick to what I know a bit too much. I'll still do my usual routes, coz they're easily accessable, but I want to get into Wales and go further afield in Shropshire more.

I have been studying my OS maps and have quite a few ideas.:thumbsup:

wait4me

Veteran
Did about 20 miles on the local roads today. Some of the B roads are being resurfaced/repared (and they are making a decent job of them). Hopefully they will catch up with the craters still about on other roads. Started at about 13.30 and after about 1 hour I could feel the temperature starting to drop from a dizzy 7deg.but the sunshine was well received. Don't knock Aldi-- most of my winter gear is from there, and it does a good job for me.

postman

Squire
[QUOTE 2245173, member: 259"]07:30 - rode to Doctor's
07:55 - told not to ride any more for the next three or four weeks.
08:00 - put bike in garage and walked to bus stop :cry:[/quote]

Is it serious or can the bike be repaired.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
38 miles up into the Blackdown Hills. Was meant to be challenging but fun. Challenging? Yes. Could also be described as agonising, exhausting and soul-destroying ... though coming back off the hills via Staple Fitzpaine was indeed fun and is my new favourite descent.

West Buckland Church 10jan13 (800x450).jpg

West Buckland church - photo taken against the sun as I liked the effect of it silhouetted against the Blackdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom