Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20 mile today,Blackburn - Ribchester - Whalley- Gt Harwood and home, legs a little stiff from Pendle hill yesterday. Stopped for a quick toilet break down one of the quiet country lanes,a quick look round no one in sight over the hedge I went,Cycling jersey lifted up bib longs pulled down just enough,,let the flow begin.. its never a good sign when a dog comes sniffing around your ankles but my fear was realised,when I turned round and stood there two ladies walking there dogs,my reaction was to say hello..:blush:
Unlucky Stu but like the Pringles advert once you pop you cant stop!!!!!:stop:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was an overcast but almost spring-like day today so I decided to go a bit further afield than usual and head for Much Wenlock and Ironbridge.

The route took me through my regular territory to start with: Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell and Cressage but then I headed up over Wenlock Edge to Much Wenlock, Benthall, Broseley and dropped down to Ironbridge before returning via Buildwas and Cressage again.

This route took me to the epicentre of the industrial revolution and is one of the few places where you can go and honestly say "history changed here".

DSC00884.JPG

Concord College, Acton Burnell. They'll be preparing for the students to return from the Christmas break.

DSC00885.JPG

The ford at Cound Moor. It looks low and placid but closer inspection revealed it's actually about hub deep. I took the soft option.:thumbsup:

DSC00889.JPG

Further down the road at Sheinton. The bridge is new and replaced the one which collapsed when restoration work was attempted after flood damage in 2007.:wacko:

DSC00898.JPG

Much Wenlock. Historic market town & famous as the birthplace of the modern Olympic Games.

DSC00902.JPG

Descending into the town of Ironbridge.

DSC00905.JPG

On The Iron Bridge.

DSC00909.JPG

And here is the bridge itself. It was constructed by Abraham Darby III in 1779 and officially opened on New Years Day 1781.
The bridge is significant because as well as being the first in the world, the advancements in iron production pioneered by Darby to build it, made the modern world we take for granted possible.

DSC00914.JPG

On the way home now. I'm having a mince pie and taking in the view near Buildwas. The river has gone down quite a lot.

DSC00917.JPG

At Cressage. This pill box is a wartime relic and a reminder that had we been invaded, areas like this would have become the front line.

I did 39.86 miles today (damn, should have gone round the block to make a round 40) at an average of 11.6 mph.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Tried a different middle to a regualr route (one of mrs craigwends) today which normally is 17 - ended up doing 18!

Interesting that be varying the route felt much longer than just one extra mile, though the 'new bit' was strewn with hawthorn clippngs the bane of my punctures locally, even the marathon +'s

snorri

Legendary Member
Lots of watery pictures from down south, but at least no waves or white horses to be seen!
I just couldn't be bothered peching in to a gale on a bike today and went for a walk instead:smile:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom