Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
First weekend for a few months that i did not turn a peddle, still i got most of the decorating out the way, so if the weather is good in the coming weekends then i will be free to ride.^_^

deanE

Joined 100 others for the first Cornish Cyclist Awareness ride, marking the death of two local cyclists in separate incidents in recent weeks. Organised by the Newquay velos, the event was attended by cyclists from the Truro, Penzance, Helston and Falmouth clubs. The short ride took us from Truro to St Austell, after which two of us from Falmouth dropped down to Mevagissy for breakfast and to meet up with the regular Sunday morning Falmouth riders. Then it was an “undulating” weave back towards Truro and home, part on tarmac and part off.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
today was my 3rd group ride with the local club and i went down on a badly relaid country road (paying too much attention to rear wheel i was following) ive got a sprained wrist and bruised thigh, bikes got a bust derailleur hanger and the brake/gear changer is miss-shaped (why are they so exspensive?)
anyway could have been worse and i enjoyed the first 30miles
Ouch, sore! GWS!

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I went on a slightly longer route today, taking in The Quarry in Shrewsbury, Upton Magna, Wroxeter, Cressage, Cound Moor, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Condover and Lyth Hill.

The ride didn't start out that well. There are hawthorn cuttings left all over the cycleway near Bayston Hill and a diesel spillage all down Copthorne Road. It was :rain: when I got to the Quarry and the gates on the riverside path have been closed and locked despite the river not being in flood.:cursing: (I lifted the bike over and carried on anyway.:giggle: )

Once out of town things were a bit better, with just the mud on the lanes to contend with and I could enjoy the ride..... at least until Cressage where I turned towards the wind which was picking up a bit by now.

The rest of the ride was very hard work due to fighting against the wind (17mph gusting to 36mph recorded according to the met office) so I was quite glad to get back.

I did 34.4 miles at an average of 11.5mph, which I think is quite surprising considering how slow I was later on.
View attachment 16116
Crossing the A5. Sunshine lights up the Wrekin between the showers.

View attachment 16117
The new build Roman villa at Wroxeter. This little village was once Viroconium, the 4th largest Roman city in Britain

View attachment 16118
En route to Cressage. Looking at the Wrekin end-on this time.

I've been to Wroxeter a couple of times on Rob Waghorn's Ironbridge 200 Audax. Ironbridge itself is a fascinating place too. It's a great area for cycling:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Wellesbourne the destination, 47 miles the journey, on holiday today with only a couple of chores to do, up early and out in the car getting the jobs done, then back home for a change and to get the bike, cold and frosty but the road were clear and dry, just some frozen puddles to watch out for, progress was hard and slow but the countryside was pretty in its winter gown of frost and I was soon in the Cafe with a hot Coffee in my hand letting my feet thaw out. Took a fairly direct rout back through Barford and Warwick , pleasant mornings ride that started and ended in bright sunshine, but was cloudy in the middle.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=484766

Image0125.jpg
Image0126.jpg
Image0128.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
First proper ride for ages - 42 miles around the edges of the Blackdowns. Rather cold but sunny on the return leg and only one or two patches of ice, which was a relief as I was on the road bike.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
51 Miles today. Met @400bhp at Ashley planned to go on a leisurely ride upto the Policini Cafe in Romiley avoiding main roads where possible as his road bikes were both in the shop. Having allowed mapmyride to fill in the detail of the route, shortly after Marple we found ourselves entering a park with some twisting cinder trails around a river valley followed by cycling my carbon road bike across a muddy farmers field. At this point promised I would never moan about anyone elses route plotting again. One of the dog walkers we saw, looked at me like I was mad :crazy:. I suspect she might be right.
Found the cafe which was nice, offered locks for the bikes, nice touch. Had a warming drink and sustenance.:hungry:
Headed back confident that the fact the ride route had been tweeked by 400bhp would be fine. Mmmmmmm somwhere near Cheadle and Hazel Grove found ourselves crossing another muddy field with a playground in the middle. Must admit considering the terrain the Pro4 Race tyres did very well. :biggrin:

Good ride and missed all the rain that had been forecast :thumbsup:

Oh yes and for @potsy and @skudupnorth I lent on my phone in the cafe and seemed to have taken this.

Attachments

• IMAG0766.jpg
    IMAG0766.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom