Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Somebody suggested that we go a different route today for the PCC Early Birds Ride, we had a bit of a chilly start but it was a good choice, it was a good route, we were mostly sheltered from the icy north wind and the weather was good (clear and bright). After that I decided to go out for another ride to make the most of the weather and the remaining light before the clocks go back. That wasn't such a good choice, the flat fens were totally exposed to the winds and the weather changed at times. Sods law :sad: when I got back the skies cleared and the clear skies meant it stayed light longer than it did last night.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
had a nice morning rid and came across this
2012-10-27095225.jpg

Rob500

Great day for owning a bike. Clear blue skies with a slight chill in the crisp morning air.
Just under 64 miles for me today. Unfortunately I'd no camera with me but I did see a nice Tall Ship coming in from the open sea when I was heading into Whitehead. Then when I was back in Belfast I saw it moving slowly by HMS Caroline on its way to being moored.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've just got back from a cold and windy ride. Thankfully not wet though although the clouds looked very threatening when I went out.

It was one of my regular routes via Condover and Longnor to Cardington, then back past Church Preen school, Kenley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Condover again.

The roads were pretty muddy again today until I got near Cardington. The bike looks like I've been off road.;) If it stays like this I suspect my Raleigh isn't going to get much use 'til the spring.

A few pics:

DSC00637.JPG

The lanes are in a bit of a state between Condover and Cardington. At least you can see the tarmac at this point.:thumbsup:

DSC00638.JPG

En route to Cardington

DSC00639.JPG

Caer Caradoc

DSC00640.JPG

Nearly at the top of today's big climb (Folly Bank). Approx 310 feet higher than where I took the last picture.

DSC00642.JPG

Anyone would think it had been raining. Looking towards the Wrekin from near Acton Burnell.

Stats, for those who like them: 28.75 miles, 12.25mph average. 28mph top speed. Not too bad.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We took part in the Ruff Stuff event today. We picked the 25 mile route. We were doing pretty well until about 17 miles in and we discovered that someone had nicked some of the signs. We found ourselves back towards the beginning, even though we had a route of the ride itself. It was all in words, no maps and said things like 'turn L into such and such road for .075 miles and right into bridle path' which is all well and good if the roads had their signs in the middle of the road and not at either end.

We did a tad over 20 before finding our way back early, soaking wet as it was a miserable cold and wet ride for the last hour of it. We started out happily enough though along the Marriotts Way, past Blickling hall etc. There was a narrow bridle path that then became a track at the side of a stubble field where we had to stop half way up as we were pedaling but the wheels were just spinning. We had a breather and carried on.

It was good fun, we wish that we had been able to do all of the route but the directions were confusing us (not to mention the ink was running a bit in the rain too) and the lack of signage was an issue too. Obviously the signage was not the organisers fault in any way. It was the scrotes who had nicked them that were the problem.

The cake and buttie at the end, as well as a nice reviving cup of tea was pretty fantastic too.
This off roading lark is bloody hard work. I like the marriotts way etc but the mud today really through me with my wheels skidding about all over the shop. We'll work out the route with an online map and have another go another time, just for the fun of it (when its not pouring with rain).

Nigel Pitts

Regular
Hi first post in this topic. My ride today was the villages around north Notts Bilsthorpe,Wellow,Knesall,Kersall,Maypole,Eakring,Kirklington, Edingley then home. Was very cold and quite windy but mercifully not wet. My feet were blocks of vice !! Loved it !!
21 miles 1 hr 45 mins and average 12.7 mph - not to shabby :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
A fine day to be out on the bike, but it was only me that thought that way apparently, didn't see another cyclist. Anyway, it took me within 3 miles of my target for October which is a lot better than I managed in September.:smile:

Cheshire Celt

Legend
Was out today with ssg cycling a 50 mile route in terrible weather wind and rain the ride took in Craggvale the longest continuous hill in England at 5-5 miles and with a strong wind it seemed a lot longer but all 20 of us made to the top

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
After waking with a hangover and forgetting to set the alarm i missed the morning ride. so went for an easy afternoon 22miles with the other half, felt so much better when i got home.^_^
I did enjoy lst night though.:whistle:

Davehateshills

A very wet 50 mile group ride. There were 19 of us and we headed from Heaton park (Manchester) through Rochdale, Littleborough, Todmorden, Hebdon Bridge and then up Cragg Vale (with a 30 mph head wind) and the a stop at Hollingworth Lake before the run back.

It was a bit of a tough one today especially with the atrocious weather :rain: but made all the better by the fact there were lots of us. :rolleyes:

Sandra6

Veteran
Weather was lovely this morning so I decided on a quick sprint along the river while the children were still sleeping.
The amount of wet leaves put paid to the sprinting, but it was a nice pedal out. Then the weather changed and turned all misty so I was glad it was only 4 miles to home!

Edwards80

Über Member
Finally got round to fitting mudguards to my bike. Perfect test weather really on today's ride to work, wet roads but no rain.

Should have done it sooner, face, feet and butt crevice all nice and dry and far less flob on the bike. I fitted SKS raceblade longs. Not too fiddly to fit and they seem to provide pretty good coverage. Now I am hoping for reverse sods law by having no rain for a while :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom