Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
......I saw I'd done about 34 miles. So I started thinking "If I do the same route back, that over 100km!". You don't know what you can do until you try, so I went for it! I'm not going to lie - it was hard. The last 10 miles my legs were jelly and even moderate inclines were torture. But what are you going to do? I still had to get home, so I just kept peddling and peddling...
And I did it. 65 miles - just over 100km - and I'm tired but quite proud of myself.
Well done & congrats, next target 100 miles. ^_^

clockhammer

Lovely commute today, riding through the misty woods in the dark was fantastic, only downside was that my old mtb seemed to have developed some strange clicking noises, hard to pinpoint where they were coming from, sounded like both wheels and the bb.

Kinda reticent to take the road bike out as there are so many wet leaves at the sides of a couple of roads on my route, dont fancy hitting them on skinny tires :eek:

Might be better risking the roadie rather than a major mechanical failure though! :confused:

Seryth

Went on my usual 20 miles today - actually turns out it's 18 miles, I got lost the first time I did it last week! It's a nice mix of terrain - lanes with awful surfaces and horse manure/mud everywhere to long straight A-roads! It's very hilly, but great fun to do. Today was: 18.05 miles, 1hr 11mins 0secs, 15.26MPH average, 36.33MPH max. Being in hilly Devon isn't particularly nice though - the route is just like a saw blade: /\/\/\/\!

1if4U

And a photo of one of the hills:

1ifao

Ah well, it's all good fun, even if I am going at ~6MPH up it :heat:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Went on my usual 20 miles today - actually turns out it's 18 miles, I got lost the first time I did it last week! It's a nice mix of terrain - lanes with awful surfaces and horse manure/mud everywhere to long straight A-roads! It's very hilly, but great fun to do. Today was: 18.05 miles, 1hr 11mins 0secs, 15.26MPH average, 36.33MPH max. Being in hilly Devon isn't particularly nice though - the route is just like a saw blade: /\/\/\/\!

1if4U

And a photo of one of the hills:

1ifao

Ah well, it's all good fun, even if I am going at ~6MPH up it :heat:
That looks tight and nasty !

The daily commute, bit damp this morning but kinda enjoyed it, then coming home I don't think I've ever been so wet!!! Glad I had the covers for my shoesand my Vaude backpacks starting to get moist inside

Seryth

That looks tight and nasty !

Something you should never say to a 15 year old...*ahem*.

But yeah, it really is nasty! Some points are very steep downhills, but it's hard to pick up speed because they wiggle so much!

Ajay

Veteran
Great little ride today in the autumn sunshine, out on the lanes behind Garstang/Lancaster, stunning clear views from Harris End Fell taking in everything from Blackpool Tower to Scafell Pike. Tasty broth at the Barn Scorton.
Loved every minute.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Something you should never say to a 15 year old...*ahem*.

But yeah, it really is nasty! Some points are very steep downhills, but it's hard to pick up speed because they wiggle so much!
I rode along the A39 a couple of years back and the hills were killers,i thought we had good ones up north but Devon and Cornwall hurt more !

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I did my first proper commute. 12.5 miles each way. 55 mins out 1hr 10 mins coming back. Started getting tired 2 miles from home. Need to have lunch before I go tomorrow. I'm working as a Bikeability Instructor and only working for 2.75 hrs so not getting paid much but when I get the full qualification I can work more (hopefully) and add this to my supply teaching.

Really enjoyed the fact that the Head Teacher was impressed with the distance and grateful for my commitment.

Clutch went on the car Monday and it's looking like it will be over £700 to fix. I can't use bike to get to supply work as I get phoned up at 8:00 to be in at 8:30, sometimes with a 45min to 1hr drive.

If you look at my Sports Tracker you will see that in my case cycling would not be quicker.

trampyjoe

Popped out for a nice foggy evening ride. Had no problems and didn't let anything get to me (including all the ninjas).
Although I did have a word with one chap as I passed him (bless him, he must be new in the country as he clearly didn't understand how red lights on junctions worked) as his rear light was obscured by the carrier bag covering his saddle.

10miles of bliss (except the blooming headwind) http://app.strava.com/rides/25987682

Seryth

Nice
Popped out for a nice foggy evening ride. Had no problems and didn't let anything get to me (including all the ninjas).
Although I did have a word with one chap as I passed him (bless him, he must be new in the country as he clearly didn't understand how red lights on junctions worked) as his rear light was obscured by the carrier bag covering his saddle.

10miles of bliss (except the blooming headwind) http://app.strava.com/rides/25987682
Nice! Headwinds are awful, especially if they're just slightly off to one side, it's just the worst thing to cycle in! Kudos!
N.B: How do you find the Strava Android app works? I'm going to buy a new phone sometime soon, and I'm wondering if I should get one with decent GPS on it or not, for Strava. I've heard mixed results about it...some people say that it's very inaccurate and runs out of battery fast, others say it works fine?! Any info would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom