Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craven2354

Did a relatively flat 45 miles this morning, out to the Solway and back. There plenty of puddles and mud on the road, and I don't think I saw one field without a flooded patch in it.

The bike's filthy... why did I buy a white one?

So you could clean it everytime you got back from a ride? ;)

D

Deleted member 23692

It certainly looks that way :smile:

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Did a comparatively sedate 14 miles - it's the first real ride for three weeks, what with one thing and another. As an unexpected bonus, I bumped into a local moped club with a few Velosolexes :biggrin:

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
A 31 mile spin down the coast to Deganwy on the Harry Hall. Sunny but a chilly wind on the outward leg.First time out for the Aldi winter jacket. Nice,wicked, sick or whatever the phrase is these days!:rolleyes:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Got out of my pit at 6am after seeing the weather forcast as being cold and clear today,perfect Skud ride conditions ! Nothing too giddy,headed down the Bridgewater canal on the fixie towards the Trafford Centre area before hitting the road past the big shops and rejoinding the canal again on part of the Trans Pennine trail.Had a little stop at Sale Water park and did a bit of off roading before heading back via Warburton Toll bridge and home,not sure or too fussed on the mileage because it was an ace ride ! Piccys as ever ........
Bridgewater canal at Worsley
002-5.jpg

003-4.jpg

We have lighthouses on our canals !
005-3.jpg

Canal swing bridge over the Manchester Ship canal
011-6.jpg

Back on the Bridgewater at Stretford
012-7.jpg

Sale/Chorlton water park
015-5.jpg

River Mersey and Potsy land
020-6.jpg

Sale Water park
029-5.jpg

030-6.jpg

Road near Hollins Green
046.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Squire
Excellent pics :smile:
+1. lovely....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I decided to do a Long Mynd ride today as the weather was good:sun: . I had originally intended to use the Raleigh but while watching the Grand Prix first thing, a gritter went round (first one of the season here I think) which was a bit off-putting.

Call me fussy if you wish, but I don't want to expose my good bike to road salt only 2 months after a big refit, so the knockabout bike came out instead.

I decided to go out to Leebotwood and climb up onto the Long Mynd via High Park which is almost an easy route (only 1 gradient arrow).

2205-38ed5245f58390ff4fb249098a71e0ca.jpg
2207-49fca512785061ccde8335771566577e.jpg

The view towards Church Stretton from Lyth Hill and The Pound at Leebotwood.

After a few stops for pictures I got to the main climb to High Park which I was pretty chuffed to be able to climb in one go (the knockabout bike is geared more for touring than climbing currently).

2212-fa170ea45ec225fc8e13a7ee832e4eed.jpg

Just past the cattle grid after High Park.
It's 1046 feet of climbing from Leebotwood to here. Just 200 feet more to the summit.

The next stop was Pole Bank, where I found a fell running event in progress. The marshalls at the checkpoint there certainly had a good view to look at while waiting!

2220-df42bce44e5b7d362151671d77618ce2.jpg

After having a bite of lunch I continued along the Long Mynd plateau to the gliding club before heading towards Nutbatch to descend towards Hamperley. Here there was a bit of an issue as there was a motorbike event going on and there were vehicles everywhere on the Forestry Commission land. Added to that the motorbikes had spread chunks of mud everywhere which were picked up on my tyres before being flung off again in all directions. A bit like a tractor that's just come out of a field.:ohmy: Suddenly I was very glad I used this bike rather than the Raleigh.

2226-6e916f58d07902da54b5d29dde612576.jpg

I didn't get the quick descent of Nutbatch that I'd hoped for as I had to follow a couple of cars with trailers full of bikes slowly down the hill.:wacko:

En route to Minton I realised that because I haven't ridden as much as usual lately my legs were starting to stiffen up. The climbs to Minton then to Little Stretton weren't as pleasant as they could have been.

I did make it back okay but the final climb over Lyth Hill very nearly beat me.

The final tally was just over 37 miles at 10mph average. Not quick but on the knockabout bike I'm happy with that.:thumbsup:

Link here to a gallery of all today's photo's (with captions so you're not guessing).

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Beautiful day here in Suffolk/ Cambs border country so decided to turn a mundane trip to Pets at Home in Newmarket (shudder) into a pleasant 25 mile or so idle amble around the place. Surpised to see two very late swallows near Exning passed over heading south, hopefully roosting safely in France tonight.
Out of Newmarket and up into the 'hills' towards Woodditton with only the tell tale signs of infestations of streetlights in some villages to enable me to know which side of the county boundary I was on. (Cambridgeshire are obsessed with lighting up the tiniest of Hamlets like Las Vegas- Suffolk fortunatley have a far more civilised approach).
Climbing higher to the East Anglian rarity of the 300 feet contour line, the landscape opened up to amazing views across into Norfolk, with steam from the sugar beet factory at Wissington cleary visible (just visible in the big pic). Looking the other way, you can see into Beds and Essex, though Norfolk, my home county, is the preferred view for me at least, every time!
Even the British motorist's best efforts to reinforce my views that they have to surely be the lousiest, dumbest, least patient and most dangerous in Europe didn't spoil a great ride (just a few scary numpties today sadly) with the pic below left taken at the end next to my home village sign.

Back Home.jpg
Lane near Dullingham.jpg

View into Norfolk.JPG

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Only a short ride today. Lenwade to Reepham (Norfolk) and back along the Marriotts Way. I did the Norwich to Lenwade bit yesterday and had planned to ride to Aylsham today but it rained, really quite hard, so I decided that I was heading back to the car.
I'll do the Reepham to Aylsham bit another day.

Lovely pics BTW Skudupnorth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom