Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

Confident that I knew the back road route to work, I set out with a smile...which ended up in laughter as I soon got lost and ended up 1/2 a mile from where I'd started...so ended up back on the A38. Had a Lorry wait patiently behind me for a good few minutes on a narrow strech of road by St Peter's, gave him a nice clear wave when he safley passed me. A Freind at work gave me the possible location of one of my missing gloves, which I recovered on the way home. Found my error on the way back, so now have a nice back lane route to work, instead of busy roads. around 15miles a few more to come latter, though am falling shy of my 30 mile a day target. I'll just have to give up work ;)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a 20 miler with the other half today, did Mott Street again am really enjoying that hill and getting faster every time i go up it, stopped for a coffee at High Beech. the other half is getting used to her clipless shoes, slowly getting her energy back after having a bit of a cold, hopefully she will be 100% for the weekend.

musa

Über Member
went house hunting today so ride from home to croydon/addiscombe and back down to elephant 30-45mins not bad 17.5 miles round trip not bad nice commute

An unexpected 41.4 miles up and over the beloved Mendips via Cheddar Gorge. The in-laws are down so the boy was sorted, the rain forecast said 'crap' so I decided to work but come the 'affy work said, there ain't none, on yer' bike. And I gladly obliged.

It's been a crap few days though for various reasons and I should have known better; first off a very un-civic Honda driver decides to cut me up at the bottom of my hill. There's always confusion at this place for retards who don't understand that when there's a line in the road whether it's physically straight on (or not) you're the one who has to indicate and he didn't, the stupid old twat. I have his number plate and I had the good caution to hear his pointless acceleration to gain that vital few seconds behind me and the danger was averted. If I do see him again, I'll follow him like I did today for a while as he pondered in his mirror what action I would take.

The wind is pretty rough and due the 'crap few days' above my only bib tights are in the wash and so I departed with bare legs, stubbly too, so stubbly they look like a pig's saddle at the moment, not being one to continue the ritual throughout the bib tight months. There'll be nobody out anyway, and I wasn't wrong. Come Cheddar Gorge I'm invigorated! I get to the top at a reasonable cadence and pile on the speed as is the custom and head past the firing range and hang a right. I continue about a hundred yards but the crosswind is so ridiculous I nearly end up in the gutter. I always loop this circuit and come back round again on a road that runs parallel taking me back down the Gorge and I know that if it's strong enough to blow me into the gutter this side, then the other side it's definitely strong enough to blow me into the road instead. For the first time in a long time then, what I figure was about 40 mph plus winds turned me back.

I did climb Shipham Hill on the way back though and that wasn't on the agenda (I did the other side on the way to the Gorge) and then the rain starts. Only a little trinkle as it happens but enough to reinvigorate the desire to get home and shower (which probably isn't fixed due the plumbing nightmares of the preceding days).

It is sorted though and my son smiles a greeting as I walk rather wet through the door. My daughter, who has just started school on the other hand, prefers to carry on watching fairies on Disney Junior.

I rubbed the bike down and got in the shower looking forward to the pint of cider I now hold proudly in my hand.

Nearly there

Veteran
Well its p*ssed it down for two days but cleared up at 3 today so the temptation to ride got the better of me so I went out for an hour n a half whizz around the back roads and had to turn back on a couple of roads due to being in passable due to flooding,I was proper sh*t up by time I got home but it was worth it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Miss A_T completed her first 10+ miles on her brother's old MTB and now wants a new bike for Christmas.... a shiny red btwin! She'll be 22! Another convert:dance:

Took advantage of the work's flexi time and disappeared at 4pm and went exploring and then hit (not literally ;)) the roads I am more familiar with for a spot of night riding under a full moon
446.gif

http://app.strava.com/rides/23912472

defy-one

Had a late start,and so decided to try my quick training lap around the village x 3.
9.85 miles in 34 m 20 secs. Average speed of 16.7 MPH :smile:
How can the headwind be pushing against me on two roads that are perpendicular to each other?????

asterix

Comrade Member
After the shock of being dropped from a social ride by a local cyling club, Sunday, I thought I'd better go out and get the fitness up. So I did Castle Howard and back via Bulmer Bank on my tourer. It's a round trip of 44 miles, including the hassle of getting across York City centre twice, which I achieved not too uncomfortably in 2.5 hours elapsed time or 17.6 mph .

Given that the cycling club's
Sunday Club run is .a. ride of 60-80 miles at 14-16 mph (discounting stops).

I reckon I should be able to get them under the trade descriptions act! One of them did explain that they'd done a season's racing and were rather good road cyclists. I feel better now.

Am thinking I might supplement the tourer with something more sporty. Probably still in steel!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just back from a run to Black Callerton, Stamfordham, Belsay, Bolam, Whalton and Ogle. Just over 30 miles in 2 hours. Really quiet but derailleur cable snapped just below the downtube shifter coming back up the hill to Ogle so had to return using 52/11 or 39/11... tired now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom