Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Did 4 hours or so at full whack in the hills. It has to be done or I won't make it round the sportive in a few weeks.
On the way some roadworks stopped me and the traffic lights were unusual. The middle bit is an LED with a number. At first I thought it was my speed: 20 km/h up hill, not bad I thought but then it kept going down however hard I pedalled and I realised it was actually a count-down to when I'd get the 'green' (flashing amber as it's France). Rather a neat idea. It doesn't tell you how long the amber will flash, though!

Coming back, a very large grass snake slithered at an amazing speed across the road in front.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
We stayed with friends in Ilkley this weekend and I did a couple of rides on the Moor. It was great; still technical but more rideable than 'round here. Somehow I managed to fall off in a straight line on the flat...

Today- had a ride on the singlespeed over to Castleton via Highgate Road, Rushup Edge and Winnat's Pass. Very headwindy so quite an achievement! It took 55 mins without a stop; at one point, every pedal stroke was a battle.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Another leisurely stroll, but longer this time. *SO* nice to be back on the bike
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 25

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yeah, given that 124% of my normal maximum, I think there might have been a tad of interference, its consistently high however, for a 20 minute period :ohmy:

Bdumbdumbdumbdumbdum HEART ATTACK beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Well, it's better than dying whilst pishing your pants in some old folks home anyway. :biggrin:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Luckily I had the day off today which proved timely after celebrating Norwich's promotion a little too enthusiastically last night! So, to clear my head- did a nice 40 mile pootle along the N. edge of Cambridge across the Fen to join the route of the guided bus thing near Milton and headed north along it up to Fen Drayton Lakes near St Ives. It's an RSPB reserve and didn't disappoint with hobbys and the first swifts of the summer being highlights. Beautiful sunshine all the way- I took a pic of the river (Great Ouse) which I'll try to attach.

The guided busway thing I travelled along for about 14 miles or so. With no buses on it yet, you get the choice of either cycling along the concrete strips, or a much wider, but poorer surface track adjacent. The concrete's only about 16 inches wide so you have to concentrate. I did come a cropper on the way back as I thought I spotted a marsh harrier and glanced away for a second or so too long and came off. Still, no damage done, but decided to use the track after that! I did like the concrete though as the traffic lights at road junctions think you are a bus and change to green for bikes which is great. Along the track, you have to dice with the motons at crossings instead and they all seemed hell bent on aiming for the cyclist today. It was far too nice a day to let the knuckledraggers get me down though. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMGP0139.JPG
    IMGP0139.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I went into Taunton and back this afternoon. Apart from the roadworks in the town centre, t'was a lovely ride. Beautifully sunny but with enough breeze to keep me cool. And yes, if anyone's wondering, it's perfectly possible to cycle 7 miles with a massive tub of fat balls on your rear bike rack.

jayonabike