Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
A lovely sunny 30 miles with a nice Holderness breeze to keep me cool.

An average a tad under 18mph; beat most of the bank holday drivers & no major hills today :rolleyes: -
well it is Holderness!

DaHjaj 'oH [a] QaQ jaj Daq

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I have all that to come ... raised beds in a walled garden, digging proper drainage, decking patio and shingle between, then paint the walls and bed white for that mediterranian (or however you spell it!) look. Will look nice, but it's gonna kill me!

Good luck with your project!

All this building stuff is really, really hard. I'm glad I'm not a builder. Everything weighs a ton.

Cycling to work & back is by far the hardest thing I do, usually.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
40 miles over the Pennines to Buxton via the Goyt and back again. The Street is definitely not as much fun going up as down. 3500 ft of ascents all in the sun :becool: :sun: Didn't manage to overtake Panter on the Endomondo 5K challenge which I thought I might going into Buxton, but a cracking ride never the less.

I went out for a wee recovery ride today, 116.8 miles later I got home :rolleyes: After a wee break I decided to go out and make a dual metric century. It was pretty slow paced and all ad hoc; I ended up going to Dundee, cutting across to Perth and back home

On route I stopped at this place and talked to the owner of the bike on the right. At one point he commented that I'd have 25 miles before I got home, it turned out to be a long 25miles, 3.5 times long ;)
Image0072.jpg
I stopped again by some boat, the last time I was there I'd put the bike on the train!
Image0073.jpg
I then stopped to admire the view up top of Glenfarg (a sign said I'd just come up a 20% er, but I think it was telling porkies).
Image0075.jpg
This is an old photo but its the other side.
100_1327.jpg

Bayerd

Über Member
30 miles for me today with 2995 ft of climbing to the top of Holme Moss. It was a bit breezy at the top, and freezing coming back down into a head wind. The temperature meant I only stopped at the top long enough to take a couple of photos of the view....

Ride uo Holme Moss 28.04.11 005.JPG Ride uo Holme Moss 28.04.11 004.JPG Ride uo Holme Moss 28.04.11 007.JPG

postman

Squire
Nothing today .But yesterday a cracking 50 to lovely York .I love going there .But nearly had to pay to get on a bendy bus .He was very very close .But got quite a shock,i actually shouted at him ."Do i have to pay".

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Monday was a"recovery" ride of maybe 15 miles , today was a 30 ish mile blast till bonk as i had not planned on going far and had not fuelled :ohmy:

I went out on a wee relaxed ride with my bro this evening, nothing really happened but it was enjoyable. Except on the way home after climbing Uquhart Cut, etc. into a head wind I then shifted rapidly to the bigger gears on the flat dual carriageway but my chain came off in that moment I was stopped to refit it a car of neds/ chavs passed and threw something out there window and shouted something like 'mawwaa'; their aim was crap though and they missed and a few moments later I caught them; unfortunately the lights changed to red and they jumped them, because they were that scared :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

Middleton Hall 02.jpg Middleton Hall 01.jpg

What a difference to last Fridays sun and warmth. Out to Middleton Hall this morning, cold grey and blowing a hoolie, 43 miles covered, a lot of them slogging into a strong head wind, still a pleasant mornings cycling and as I arrived home the sun came out. On the way out I'd just crossed the roundabout at the end of the road that crosses the Counden Wedge and was heading towards the White Lion and I heard the sound of a trucks reversing beeper, but could not see a truck, it stopped then started again, then I realized it was a bird off to my right doing impression!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
60 miles up to Park Head cafe and back... into an easterly wind for a change!

Lovely day though, cuppa and the best bacon butty I've had for years!

Smashing!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Squire
48 Fenland miles. God i hate going out there, so flat, open and moderately boring, when its windy there's just no respite from it but the wind direction dictates my route. The outrun with a slight head, mostly side wind was going well, Peterborough to March at 16.9 mph average...yes, you think a good run home will really up it to maybe 18mph average...no chance.
Turned at March to take a different route home, not too bad, but soon realised the wind direction had changed somewhat...at times down to 12mph on the drops for mile after mile of straight, open road.
Stopped at an old friends who i was lucky enough to see working on his car in his drive, had a cuppa and a natter then off again. Must have slightly overdone it on the outrun because i soon slowed on any inclines (there's not many in the Fens) with the wind. All of a sudden, it was hard work.
Roads were very quiet, a few street parties here and there which made me smile, nice and bright out there.

16.5 mph average over 48 miles, i should be happy given the conditions.

Your distances make my 22 mile ride seem a bit feeble :huh:. I am getting over a few ankle ops so I was pleased with how the ride went, especially in that wind. I can't wait to get to 50 miles though, so I'll keep trying until I've got my mileage up to that!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Squire
Your distances make my 22 mile ride seem a bit feeble :huh:. I am getting over a few ankle ops so I was pleased with how the ride went, especially in that wind. I can't wait to get to 50 miles though, so I'll keep trying until I've got my mileage up to that!
I was riding old racers, mostly for commuting for years, but rarely ever did more than 10 miles. I still remember getting my first new roadbike at 42 and struggling like hell to do 10 fast miles. I looked so red faced and knackered when i got back. All of a sudden 25's were the norm, but i took ages to extend that.
Ive been 'seriously' riding for 10 years, but rarely ever done over 50 miles...one 82 miler, one 60 plus miler, but even 50 miles is occasional. Its all relative, i read some replys and wonder...why cant i do 100 miles. Time is the main answer, or lack of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom