Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a change in weather here today, it has been pretty damp, luckily though my ride finished before it turned to heavy rain. It was just a gentle spin with the DCC; I think their faster regulars are away to sunnier climates. It gave me a good chance to test out my hub service and the job seems like a good one :-)

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I finished all my University assignments and emerged, blinking, into the sunlight. Just did a lovely 20 miler with a bastard of a hill climb (followed by an exhilarating downhill section). I got scalped twice by some very serious-looking proper roadies and it took me 1.5 hours to do the circuit, but I don't care! It felt fantastic and it's the first time I've had the time to get a serious ride in for a few weeks! I'm also fitter than I thought I would be, which is always pleasant to find out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Took the only gap in the day I had (hospital and care home visits to my in-laws) and rattled off 21 miles in an hour and two minutes - shattered at the end as had to fight the clock right to the door to keep it over the magic 20mph average - chuffed with that, and it's all uphill the last two miles. Nice and sunny, bit hazy and a stiff breeze. Some tough sections on my loop, but a steady 25 mph on the more sheltered sections on 53 x 15 and 16

Drivers were all pretty good as well....

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Just spent four days building a patio; my back was aching on the way in this morning.

Maybe I should take the car tomorrow...

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Just spent four days building a patio; my back was aching on the way in this morning.

Maybe I should take the car tomorrow...

I have all that to come ... raised beds in a walled garden, digging proper drainage, decking patio and shingle between, then paint the walls and bed white for that mediterranian (or however you spell it!) look. Will look nice, but it's gonna kill me!

ajb

74mls around North Devon, Bideford-Barnstaple-South Molton-Witheridge-Eggesford-Winkleigh-Roborough-Torrington-Bideford, not exactly flat, 1200m of climbing, really happy as I managed 18.4mph av.

Lovely ride - 56.7 miles. Left Clevedon over moors to Yatton , Yatton on to Burrington Coombe, up to the beacon and along. Took a right and went down through Cheddar gorge and onto Wedmore where I took the road to Burnham and from Burnham back on A38 and then through Weston SM onto the Congresbury road and back over the moors from Yatton, home. 17.7 mph average and really getting used to the carbon feel and spending ever more time on the drops!

Some new ground today - first was a fairly good test up the Coombe with my new double; 11-28 SRAM Rival (am used to a triple) and very chuffed at how much quicker I was. Secondly, the handling down the gorge put a massive smile on my face. Never felt as fast or as stable on the alu. Giant. Also, as mentioned, spending more time on the drops than ever before and whilst the back might take a bit of getting used to, it isn't as bad as the first time out on this bike. Only the fourth time out today.

:biggrin: :biggrin: and :biggrin: .

Brandane

Legendary Member
A good bit chillier here today than it has been. Went from Largs over the Haylie Brae to Dalry, then back roads to Kilmaurs. Was trying to meet up with the Ayrshire CTC guys, that is why I was out of my house at 8.40 on a Sunday morning. Must read the website properly next time as the start time was 10.00, not the 10.30 I had read :blush:.

By 10.30 I realised I had messed up so headed off to Irvine then back up the coast to Largs. 52 miles all in, at 13 mph average, with the gentle (??) breeze in my face for what seemed like 75% of the ride!

pepecat

Gees, you lot are all so fit!!
Did 19 miles in 1 hour 40 mins today, but it included my first 'big' hill climb. Went up to Clent via hunnington / romsley.....one long grind of a hill (for me anyway) 810ft of climbing, and that was enough!!

jayonabike