Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
tell me about the pies.....

Devon-used-to-be-a-Cornish pasty (consumed last night with chips, peas and much enjoyment)
Pork and apple pasty
Chicken and mushroom pie
Steak and Stilton pie
Steak and onion pie

Now in my freezer, to be consumed once my mouth recovers from tomorrow's op.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mmmm....

I'm about to stage part two of my weekend 'pie burn off' ride. Having consumed a lamb and herb pie, a bacon and cheese tartlet and an excess of pork pies on Friday (if I didn't eat them they would have ended up in the bin - that my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

This coming Wednesday is designated home made steak and kidney pie day and I'm looking forwards to a trip up to Newcastle on Monday as I can call in at Ripon to buy and consume some Appleton's finest wares.

I am definitely going to piece together a 100km Audax based on pie stops as control points.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Wasting food is a no-no. You did the right thing.

A pie-based Audax? Here's hoping you don't mind 'er on a 'ybrid tagging along
biggrin.gif
:tongue:

Paladin - York

It's my turn to do the rota in the ticket hut at Sutton Park, Sutton-on-the Forest, York. So I'll be doing 5.27 miles round trip. I might get the chance to have a natter to some of the cyclists calling in at the tea rooms though.

kennyb

Just been out and clocked up 34 miles.I live in stoke so all I've scene is stoke city supporters going wembley. Good luck to all that's going, but I don't think I'd like to be stuck on a bus or car when it's this nice.:smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I just knocked out 28.3 miles at 16.9mph, solo too. To say I'm chuffed to bits is an understatement! I'm very VERY happy with that after a winter of pumping iron and doing intervals in the gym :wahhey:

I matched your numbers yesterday but using the metric system i.e. 28.3km @ 16.9km/hr.

After a winter of eating pies at regular intervals with Jim it came as a surprise to me. :whistle:

PpPete

Legendary Member
49 miles @ 16.1 mph.....my first club run. Was falling off the back at the end, which is hardly surprising as it was supposed to be the 14 mph group. Heard that riding in a group is good for an extra 3 mph, and I normally average around 12 mph.

Evidently need more pies if I'm to do that again.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just been out and clocked up 34 miles.I live in stoke so all I've scene is stoke city supporters going wembley. Good luck to all that's going, but I don't think I'd like to be stuck on a bus or car when it's this nice.:smile:

They should be happy Stoke fans as they're 3-0 up after half an hour!

A nice slow sunlit saunter across to Wicken Fen for me today (Wicken's a local nature reserve), using the newly created 'Lodes Way' cycle route. A 20 mile loop in total. Good to see so many out on bikes, the stands at Wicken were full. Was hoping to hear the first cuckoos but no luck. (Plenty of swallows, chiffs, black caps and willow warblers though). Passed a gypsy camp near Lode- cheerful bunch sat around a stove or something- could have been an ancient scene- shame they get such a hard time. Got caught up in some kind of cycle race in Bottisham. Seemed like a big event- lycra city. They always look so fierce and miserable though - makes me glad I'm just a pootler.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A slow saunter for me, too. Took the dog up to the Common, threw her in the stream, then cycled through the woods where she threw herself in her favourite water hole. Unfortunately, given the lack of rain, t'was a bog hole, so took our time coming back so she could dry off properly
rolleyes.gif

She's now flat out on the carpet and I'm reclining gracefully on the sofa.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Squire
A quick 21 miles (where do i get the time for any decent mileage anymore :sad: ) so i gave it a good blast and managed 17.9 mph average. Very hot and breathless when i got in, but 15 minutes sit down and a drink, soon recovered.

Its difficult to quantify taking into account different conditions, but having fitted fulcrum 5s, then immediately upgrading the bearings to low frictions, i frequently manage nearly 30mph down a local hill where i used to do 26/27 mph. The wheels really do run well.

I am nearly 53 and not been a serious cyclist all my life, but how the hell do TT'ers manage 20mph as a starting/reasonable benchmark :ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom