Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I envy the lot of you.I managed 8 miles before my saddle,or more correctly, the b****y post bolt,gave up the fight,b****y thing.My temper has been restored and the cushion is just the job,but what a waste of the day!

Ouch!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yesterday saw a bit of a practice ride with a couple of newcomers for out TDF sonsored ride next weekend. Just a 16 mile spin between Denby Dale and Cannon Hall, although it did involve tea and flapjack(thanks Paul!) Martin came with us for the first time, and discovered the joys of cycling for the first time since he was 12! Gave me an excuse to wait for him and give him a wheel on the return leg.

Today however, I was determined to put in some miles. Round here you have to climb about a thousand feet for every ten miles ridden. Now, the downhills are fun, but everywhere you go there's a grinding great bastard of a hill to deal with, and as a consequence most rides I do are around 20 to 30 miles long. I needed to prove to myself I can spend hours in the saddle, so mapped out a 70 miler based around York on Mapmyride and exported it to my new (to me ) Edge 705 (I smashed up my 305 last week at Cannock) Unfortunately I left the "follow bike paths" box checked, and within 10 miles of setting out was faced with a forest bridleway. I ended up following my nose, and then looped back round to the road out to Howden, having taken in the delights of Sand Hutton and Strensall. I can't believe how little traffic is out around there! Here you're getting buzzed by cars every few seconds, but today was a real joy, very few cars to be seen on the lanes.

The weather was hot and humid, but it was a sheer delight to be out. I kept up a decent pace until the last fifteen miles where my legs started to complain a bit. I stopped off at the village stores in Elvington and had a pie and a bottle of chocolate milk and watched the kids playing in the village beck. total distance 68 miles , elapsed time just over five hours, and a moving average of 16mph, so I was well chuffed, considering all the buggering about I did trying to navigate back to the Garmin course I'd set.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride posted today just before I go out on todays ride that I'll try and post today or it'll get confusing which day it is.... :whistle:

I'd decided on a route, which is unusual for me when I just go out to stretch the legs as I wanted to take a couple of pics of the Northampton Boris Bikes to post in the thread about them.

DSC_2653.jpg

First lovely hill down was from Great Billing through the memorial trees in Billing park. Onwards through a bit of woodland that's been left between two housing estates.

DSC_2656.jpg

You can only just see the shopping trolley in the stream.. It must have taken a real effort to get it to where it now resides!
I rode along the banks of the Nene and watched the canoeists at the Bedford Road canoe centre.

DSC_2673.jpg

DSC_2658.jpg

This chap's definitely up somewhere without a paddle :laugh:

I decided to go round Delapre Park as there's a bit of an event going on, but there was nothing happening really, just some sound tests I think. Never mind, there's access to a circuit around a lake from the back of the park. I've not actually ridden all the way round before but certainly will again. There were a fair few people enjoying the day with BBQ's and swimming going on.

DSC_2672.jpg

I'll likely go there again soon and take my speedo's and have a dip to cool down on the ride :thumbsup:

Quite a leisurely 20 miles with no hills or problems to overcome, just good to get out!

Right. I'm out on todays ride now, and will attempt to post it today :becool:

http://www.strava.com/activities/168451772

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've no idea why this church in the sleepy Somerset village of Stogursey was flying the Saltire.
That would be the Church of St Andrew in Stogursey then? :thumbsup:

lesley_x

Über Member
Decided since the weather was so lovely to head to Botanic Gardens with Kindle in backpack. It was a good choice. Feel totally chilled out and relaxed right now!

45A1E69A-BC28-4B02-8D25-2F6D1822D3B0.jpg

B09A44FC-5475-4A2E-8164-4EB50D5EB6F5.jpg

241A231F-FC76-4585-A20C-A7C2CFAE1721.jpg

81DDB914-5E29-465E-B8BE-6641F476FE7D.jpg

I am rather happy because my health has kept me off the bike for a while and I seem to be getting it under control a little.

Also my 3rd ride clipless with no issues which has boosted my confidence.

Happy days!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A circular ride that was uphill all the way. How does that work? [or have i misunderstood the Strava graph?].
It is either the vaguries of the GPS or I live on the edge of a 300 foot cliff and started at the bottom. :whistle:
The 705 uses a barometric altimeter which can take a while to correct itself. I suspect in this instance it has zeroed when it was switched and adjusted back to reality during the first 6 or 7 miles of the ride.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I dragged Doug out for a big ride today as part of the preparation for his (and @gavgav's) first 50 miler at the end of the week. I offered a choice of routes of about 40 miles and surprisingly Doug opted for the hilliest one; another Long Mynd ride (he did have an ulterior motive for this.)

The route this time was the usual way down to Church Stretton then south to Minton and the climb up onto the Long Mynd via Nutbatch and past the gliding club before riding along the plateau to the summit and heading back.

The start was fairly uneventful and I made sure Doug didn't push on too hard so that he'd still have something in the legs for the climbs to come. The weather couldn't have been much better and it was a really pleasant leisurely ride out to Church Stretton. We had a stop here so I could have a quick chat with one of the owners at Plush Hill Cycles and drop off my CV (Wondering about that ulterior motive? Doug wanted to make sure I actually did go in and talk to them:shy:).

Back on the road we headed for Minton and the first proper climb of the day; an evil little short-sharp-shock which gets the lungs working.

Usually we would take the lane straight from Minton to Hamperley, but there is another bike shop (Blazing Bikes) so Doug made sure we dropped into the valley to drop my CV off there too. (Anyone would think he doesn't trust me to go and introduce myself :blush:)

To avoid the 275' climb back up to Minton to get back on course we took the B4370 up the valley instead. I've always avoided this road as I've never been that keen on how people drive. It was quiet today though so we gave it a try. All was okay apart from hearing a van coming up fast behind us. I could see a car coming the other way so was a little alarmed when I heard the engine of the van accelerate and he came past forcing the other driver to do an emergency stop.:ohmy: Gave us enough room though.:wacko: Didn't get the reg number it was however emblazoned with the Salvation Army logo.:thumbsdown:

The rest of the drivers behaved fine and we'd almost got to the turn for Hamperley when a dog came bounding out of the lane we were about to head into and into the main road. Afraid of it getting hit on this road Doug and I dropped our bikes on the verge and gave chase. Fortunately the dog headed off the road and into a field and the owner wasn't far away.

Reaching Hamperley we were now onto the main climb of the day (over 720' in about 2 miles). Doug was straight down into the granny gear and stayed there for most of the climb up through the woods. Just the one drink stop (which I had to suggest) on the way though so he didn't do too badly.:thumbsup:

After this climb we followed the paths to the gliding club where we paused for lunch. There was a group marking out a section of grass with poles and tape. Doug and I though it looked like they were setting up for an archeological dig, but in fact they'd marked out areas to search for a survey of insect life.

The summit reached, we started our trip back via High Park, Plush Hill and Gogbatch (on the road this time) before retracing our wheel tracks via Longnor and Condover. There was a lot of traffic on the A49 today so we had to wait for ages before being able to join the road. Doug had been flagging over the last few miles but faced with having to get into the first available gap in the traffic he found the energy to do the climb into Bayston Hill at an 18mph sprint.:bravo:

38.3 miles this time at 10.2 mph average. Doug did really well on a route with some big climbs I thought.:thumbsup:

DSC0001352.jpg

Doug at our rest stop part way up Nutbatch. My attempt at an arty cinematic angle.

DSC0001353.jpg

Looking the other way, the track winds its way up through the trees. Lots of climbing still to go,

DSC0001358.jpg

Not much wind today but enough for a glider to find some lift.

DSC0001361.jpg

Some fabulous views to the west when you get to the top of this climb.

DSC0001364.jpg

At Pole Bank (the summit) and someone has started a cairn since we were here a few days ago.

DSC0001366.jpg

Me at Pole Bank.

DSC0001367.jpg

On the way back now. Looking into Gogbatch with Caer Caradoc in the background.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom