Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
39.1 miles today, and very hot too!

I went to Pedal-On, one of the LBS’ around here to order some wheels for the enemies’ bike and to buy some new bar tape for mine.

As we are new to these parts I decided not plan a route and just head out in the general direction of the shop and check out the area so to speak, I turns out I didn’t wonder too far off, I kept finding roads that were “oh I see where I am” roads. At one point I headed down a newly tarmacked only to find a mile later it is a bridleway, it wasn’t really suitable for my road bike but I persevered slowly till I found a metaled road again. I then headed in the direction of Bucklebury, where Prince George’s granny lives. A nice, but bit posh café there where I had a cup of splosh and a croissant.

Then headed down the hill past the huge monastery down to Aldermaston and on to Tadley where Pedal On shop is. I met two blokes there on nice bikes a Holdsworth and a Roberts, doing a 200k audax and they were “feeling” it.

After conducting my business I returned pretty much the way I came but popped off down some roads I’d never been down before. I stopped off at a local shop for an ice cream and sat outside, three young chavs turned up effing and blinding about some nonsense or other, one of them was riding the daft bike pictured below.

I got home with 34.25 on the clock, so I continued up Sulham hill passed my house and bunged on another few miles to make it look like I’d been on a proper ride.

A lovely day to be riding a bike.

View attachment 51043
The Bridleway
View attachment 51045
The Bridleway
View attachment 51046
Posh Tea
View attachment 51047
Strange goings on in this village
View attachment 51048
Things hanging from houses
View attachment 51049
View attachment 51050
And On Lawns
View attachment 51051
A very silly bicycle.

View attachment 51052 View attachment 51053
Some of them hills look a bit steep.

Hugs
Archeress x

Dark46

Veteran
As recommended by the KCC yesterday(Sunday) I tried the Longney loop. At one stage I thought I had taken a wrong turn but , I hadn't . Turned out as the said at about 12 miles. I was surprised how much slower I was on my own around the loop! It's good to see as I have something to aim for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A rarity I know, but I'm actually posting todays ride today!!

A couple of mates and I went for a ride around Harleston Firs on the MTB's Quite a few of the trails there are almost unrideable, unless you want the flesh ripped from your arms & legs by brambles, and the remaining skin stung to burgery by the nettle! It wasn't as boggy or slippery as we'd expected it to be though, but some sections were a tad moist in places.

aDSC_2681.jpg

How about this for a king size ant nest!! I didn't stay near it for too long in case the bike and I got dragged into it.. :eek:

We messed around for a while doing some jumps etc.

aDSC_2694.jpg

aDSC_2698.jpg

That's me, airborne ^_^

We only had a couple of hours there as we had other stuff to get done at our respective homes, but Alan and I live on the same side of town so we rode past Pitsford reservoir and Moulton Village towards home.

aDSC_2713.jpg

Nice to see the occasional poppy that hasn't been weed-killered in the cornfields.

aDSC_2725.jpg

This was the last part of my ride on a Byway near my house. It gets a bit rutted from the occasional 4x4 that uses it during the open season.
The Firs are great fun, but best avoided at weekends due to there being hundreds of dog walkers wandering around. It's quite easy to get a bit lost as well due to the twists and turns in the tracks.

Back home on 30 miles, with quite a few scratches and many tingling bits of skin where the nettles were unavoidable. I might just wear a suit of armour next time I go :thumbsup:

http://www.strava.com/activities/168882389

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just been for the 2nd ride of the day.
Hubster fancied a whiz around the block so we decided to ride our 'is it a mouse' route and got 1/3 of the way round and turned for Spooner Row instead as my legs were tired. Not enough food today, I think. I had to stop just past the Boars PH (Known locally as the Whores PH) for a breather. Then carried on. Definitely rallied over the last 2 miles. We had a good time and there was a very pretty sunset to watch too.
9.32 miles in 41:14

I have a nice Velocity Beer now.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Crap day at work today, so I got off out on the road ASAP after my tea to try and rescue the day. A beautiful evening tonight, and it had
an instant calming effect. Headed off down the A38, then hung a right and crossed the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal at Moreton Valence. You can't quite see them in this picture, but two local "characters" on the opposite bank were busily (and furtively) casting a leaded net into the canal for fish ...... Mmm, ..... roach for tea tonight!
DSCF3057.jpg

.Turned left at Epney, and headed for the canal again at saul Junction, where I came across this bundle of fluffy cygnets:
DSCF3061.jpg

Then back home again, via Epney, where there was a lovely sunset over the Severn..
DSCF3058.jpg

Didn't have my best camera with me, but if you really look, you can spot a hare, hiding in this field near Elmore.
DSCF3066.jpg

Definitely needed lights by the time I got home, crossing the canal one last time at Quedgeley. The little Georgian style houseis typical of the former bridge keepers' cottages along this canal.

DSCF3068.jpg

Amazing how a quiet ride in the countryside in the cool of the evening can totally rescue your day. Only 17 miles tonight, but loved it.
Cheers, Donger.

Gareth C

Veteran
Etape Pennines

Sunday was a trip to revisit one of last years rides – The Etape Pennines – a closed road sportive in the North Pennines, and just on my doorstep. Last year was a round alone, as I had a lingering chest infection, and wasn’t able to keep up with my team mates. This year, no chest infection, but also no mates to ride with! Another change since last year was the route: from above Stanley the original went east towards Consett, and then through the hills near to home before heading (into the headwind) past Hamsterley Forest towards Barnard Castle. This year, a more direct route via Stanhope, but more hills. etape-pennines-2014-competitor-map-ns1.jpg
My starting time meant a 5am start, and I was seriously thinking of rolling over and having a sleep-in. However, I found myself at Barnard Castle, parking up and getting the bike together. Organisation at the start was fantastic, and I was chatting to a guy from Lichfield CC in our wave, and before you knew it, we were off.

Teesdale
We set off down the road; well metaphorically, as actually we’re climbing from the start, however, it’s gentle, we have fresh legs and things aren’t too difficult. Like most rides I seem to go on, I’m being passed by lots of people. It’s important on this one, though, to play the long game. The later climbs are brutal, and I’m determined not to burn out. That said, I’m still regretting not having a sleep-in, and it takes a few miles, the great descent to Eggleston (blanking out that we’ll have to climb back up it later on), and the climb above Middleton-in-Teesdale until I’m feeling warmed up and enjoying it.

web-pena0456.jpe

Upper Teesdale is excellent, as ever, and the miles roll by.
profile-1-teesdale.jpg

Chapel Fell
Leaving Teesdale, this is the first of the “big” hills, and we will ultimately reach 627m above sea level. First, however, is a small climb by a worrying sign, and then a descent to the base of the climb. In the past I’ve had that (literally) sinking feeling by losing unnecessary height, but more recently have got over it by realizing its all distance towards the finish.

web-penc1763.jpe

Anyway, onwards and upwards, and the climb is never too steep, but relentless, climbing from 440m to 627m over 2.3km, so 8% all the way! profile-2-chapel-fell.jpg
It tops out near some quarries and spoil heaps, and the view ahead is of the valley where we live, spectacular Weardale. This is where the closed road event comes into its own. The descent is searingly fast, but there are still folk passing me. Being able to make full use of the width of the road certainly helps, knowing there isn’t a car behind that next bend. Also, unlike last year, there look to be no casualties on the descent.

Weardale
profile-3-weardale.jpg
Just as we look about to enter the bottom of Weardale, the route heads back upwards, avoiding St Johns Chapel, then descends steeply to Ireshopeburn, before another climb to the Burhope Reservoir. We traverse along the top of the dam, and I have the most surreal experience: I have a police motorcycle catch me up and just conversationally ask if he can pull me over… to allow an ambulance to pass. Of course, I comply, and the ambulance drivers wave their gratitude. It seems someone ahead of me has crashed. Getting started again, it’s over the Wear at Cowshill, and eventually to the crash at Filmford Bridge, where there’s a steep couple of sharp bends. Things look to be in hand, so I carry on, and before long things head, again, upwards…

Black Hill, White Edge
While these two “little hills” don’t rate as the highest category on Strava, in my mind these are the ones with the most sting in them. As last year, many people are caught out by the sharp left hander, where it goes from a nice descent, straight up the hill at 24%. Last year I got away with a potentially chain breaking gear change; this year I was ready for it (and they had a marshall and sign saying “lowest gear now!”). A handful of people rode up here last year, but this year there were only a couple, and my ride got plenty of admiration from the walkers: it wasn’t all ability though, as local knowledge and a 34/32 gear ratio helps too! profile-4-black-hill.jpg
Over the top of Black Hill is a quick, short and steep descent to the bottom of White Edge, where there is another very steep climb until the road turns right and the gradient eases. Many walkers on this section too, but more riders as well. All the efforts are repaid, as from the top there is a short flat section, then the long descent to Rookhope, scenic views over the valley, and a beautiful bendy section around the trees at Lintzgarth Plantation. At the bottom, the second feed station, which as the temperature is now well over 20°C is welcome, as the waterbottles are empty.

Out of Rookhope
profile-5-out-of-rookhope.jpg
The climb out of Rookhope is categorized by Strava as grade 3, so the worst we should see en-route. However, again some local knowledge tells me that it’s only the first section up to the right hand bend that is brutal, and after that it levels off. I also know that at the bend I can get off and take a breather; except I can’t because there’s two locals camped out on chairs, cheering every biker along, so pride means I have to ride on, and use a low gear on the easier gradient to recover.

web-penb1103.jpe

Over the top, another beautiful Pennine vista, and as the slope eased up to the top, it gradually steepens on the descent. Off to the right I can see the chimneys from the old lead mines on the moors, and also the road heading up the moor; a road I’ll shortly be toiling up in the heat. Dropping off the moors, there’s a steepening descent through the trees (and damp roads) almost to Blanchland.

Blanchland to Stanhope
profile-6-blanchland-to-stanhope.jpg
About a kilometer short of Blanchland and just by the River Derwent, the route turns right, and, you’ve guessed, steeply upwards. More walkers, but again, it’s a North Pennine hill, so the hardest bit is at the bottom, so if you persevere, things will get easier. At the first false summit (Old Man’s Grave) there is an excellent mountain bike descent to Edmundbyers, but today I must press on to the next summit (Dead Friar’s Bank) before coasting along Meadow’s Edge and meeting the Coast-to-Coast cycle route. No time to stop at Park Head café, so onwards with the steep(ening) descent into Stanhope. The organisers have set up a contraflow system to allow the C2C-ers access to the climb, while we whiz down on the other side of the road.

Bollihope Common
profile-7-bollihope-common.jpg
This is the new bit of the route, and the organisers say “reduced from 80 to 60 miles by popular demand.” What they don’t say is they’ve added the double-hilled ascent of Bollihope Common to the route, where the initial switchback had been looming large in my mind all day. I’d reccied this section some weeks ago, and on fresh legs it was an ordeal. I was sure I’d be walking, but amazingly managed to ride up it. Zig-zagging across the full width of the road to take the sting out of it really worked, and I stopped for a breather at the top before continuing upwards onto the moor tops. There’s a steep descent to the old quarries at Bollihope Burn, a short steep section, and then a feed station – the last one! From here it’s about ten miles to the finish, and only one major climb (up Bollihope Common) to complete, and we’re already about a third of the way up it. Depressingly, the whole climb is in view ahead, so I decide to keep the pedals turning and stare at the tarmac below; the views can wait for another day. Over the top, we descend via some of the back routes into Hamsterley Forest that I sometimes take on the mountain bike, and zoom down towards Eggleston. At the bottom, plenty of the villagers are out and cheering us on, which is just what we need at this point.

Back to Barney
profile-8-back-to-barney.jpg
The first big descent we had early in the morning is now the last real climb of the day. Again, I’d thought I’d be walking, but it turns out to be rideable. At this stage of the day, a counter-flow system has been put in place to allow cars access to Teesdale. At the top, we’re back onto fully-closed roads, and five miles of mostly downhill, with the odd uphill kicker just to stop it being too easy. I still have the energy to get on the drops and get a big gear spinning. I sweep up half a dozen riders who are freewheeling in to the finish.

web-pena1635.jpe

Just under six hours on the road, and a great day out, but I’m not sure I’ll be doing it next year… Let’s see! 10435129_10152524961617180_3257060847404716273_n.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Etape Pennines

Sunday was a trip to revisit one of last years rides – The Etape Pennines – a closed road sportive in the North Pennines, and just on my doorstep. Last year was a round alone, as I had a lingering chest infection, and wasn’t able to keep up with my team mates. This year, no chest infection, but also no mates to ride with! Another change since last year was the route: from above Stanley the original went east towards Consett, and then through the hills near to home before heading (into the headwind) past Hamsterley Forest towards Barnard Castle. This year, a more direct route via Stanhope, but more hills. etape-pennines-2014-competitor-map-ns1.jpg
My starting time meant a 5am start, and I was seriously thinking of rolling over and having a sleep-in. However, I found myself at Barnard Castle, parking up and getting the bike together. Organisation at the start was fantastic, and I was chatting to a guy from Lichfield CC in our wave, and before you knew it, we were off.

Teesdale
We set off down the road; well metaphorically, as actually we’re climbing from the start, however, it’s gentle, we have fresh legs and things aren’t too difficult. Like most rides I seem to go on, I’m being passed by lots of people. It’s important on this one, though, to play the long game. The later climbs are brutal, and I’m determined not to burn out. That said, I’m still regretting not having a sleep-in, and it takes a few miles, the great descent to Eggleston (blanking out that we’ll have to climb back up it later on), and the climb above Middleton-in-Teesdale until I’m feeling warmed up and enjoying it.

web-pena0456.jpe

Upper Teesdale is excellent, as ever, and the miles roll by.
profile-1-teesdale.jpg

Chapel Fell
Leaving Teesdale, this is the first of the “big” hills, and we will ultimately reach 627m above sea level. First, however, is a small climb by a worrying sign, and then a descent to the base of the climb. In the past I’ve had that (literally) sinking feeling by losing unnecessary height, but more recently have got over it by realizing its all distance towards the finish.

web-penc1763.jpe

Anyway, onwards and upwards, and the climb is never too steep, but relentless, climbing from 440m to 627m over 2.3km, so 8% all the way! profile-2-chapel-fell.jpg
It tops out near some quarries and spoil heaps, and the view ahead is of the valley where we live, spectacular Weardale. This is where the closed road event comes into its own. The descent is searingly fast, but there are still folk passing me. Being able to make full use of the width of the road certainly helps, knowing there isn’t a car behind that next bend. Also, unlike last year, there look to be no casualties on the descent.

Weardale
profile-3-weardale.jpg
Just as we look about to enter the bottom of Weardale, the route heads back upwards, avoiding St Johns Chapel, then descends steeply to Ireshopeburn, before another climb to the Burhope Reservoir. We traverse along the top of the dam, and I have the most surreal experience: I have a police motorcycle catch me up and just conversationally ask if he can pull me over… to allow an ambulance to pass. Of course, I comply, and the ambulance drivers wave their gratitude. It seems someone ahead of me has crashed. Getting started again, it’s over the Wear at Cowshill, and eventually to the crash at Filmford Bridge, where there’s a steep couple of sharp bends. Things look to be in hand, so I carry on, and before long things head, again, upwards…

Black Hill, White Edge
While these two “little hills” don’t rate as the highest category on Strava, in my mind these are the ones with the most sting in them. As last year, many people are caught out by the sharp left hander, where it goes from a nice descent, straight up the hill at 24%. Last year I got away with a potentially chain breaking gear change; this year I was ready for it (and they had a marshall and sign saying “lowest gear now!”). A handful of people rode up here last year, but this year there were only a couple, and my ride got plenty of admiration from the walkers: it wasn’t all ability though, as local knowledge and a 34/32 gear ratio helps too! profile-4-black-hill.jpg
Over the top of Black Hill is a quick, short and steep descent to the bottom of White Edge, where there is another very steep climb until the road turns right and the gradient eases. Many walkers on this section too, but more riders as well. All the efforts are repaid, as from the top there is a short flat section, then the long descent to Rookhope, scenic views over the valley, and a beautiful bendy section around the trees at Lintzgarth Plantation. At the bottom, the second feed station, which as the temperature is now well over 20°C is welcome, as the waterbottles are empty.

Out of Rookhope
profile-5-out-of-rookhope.jpg
The climb out of Rookhope is categorized by Strava as grade 3, so the worst we should see en-route. However, again some local knowledge tells me that it’s only the first section up to the right hand bend that is brutal, and after that it levels off. I also know that at the bend I can get off and take a breather; except I can’t because there’s two locals camped out on chairs, cheering every biker along, so pride means I have to ride on, and use a low gear on the easier gradient to recover.

web-penb1103.jpe

Over the top, another beautiful Pennine vista, and as the slope eased up to the top, it gradually steepens on the descent. Off to the right I can see the chimneys from the old lead mines on the moors, and also the road heading up the moor; a road I’ll shortly be toiling up in the heat. Dropping off the moors, there’s a steepening descent through the trees (and damp roads) almost to Blanchland.

Blanchland to Stanhope
profile-6-blanchland-to-stanhope.jpg
About a kilometer short of Blanchland and just by the River Derwent, the route turns right, and, you’ve guessed, steeply upwards. More walkers, but again, it’s a North Pennine hill, so the hardest bit is at the bottom, so if you persevere, things will get easier. At the first false summit (Old Man’s Grave) there is an excellent mountain bike descent to Edmundbyers, but today I must press on to the next summit (Dead Friar’s Bank) before coasting along Meadow’s Edge and meeting the Coast-to-Coast cycle route. No time to stop at Park Head café, so onwards with the steep(ening) descent into Stanhope. The organisers have set up a contraflow system to allow the C2C-ers access to the climb, while we whiz down on the other side of the road.

Bollihope Common
profile-7-bollihope-common.jpg
This is the new bit of the route, and the organisers say “reduced from 80 to 60 miles by popular demand.” What they don’t say is they’ve added the double-hilled ascent of Bollihope Common to the route, where the initial switchback had been looming large in my mind all day. I’d reccied this section some weeks ago, and on fresh legs it was an ordeal. I was sure I’d be walking, but amazingly managed to ride up it. Zig-zagging across the full width of the road to take the sting out of it really worked, and I stopped for a breather at the top before continuing upwards onto the moor tops. There’s a steep descent to the old quarries at Bollihope Burn, a short steep section, and then a feed station – the last one! From here it’s about ten miles to the finish, and only one major climb (up Bollihope Common) to complete, and we’re already about a third of the way up it. Depressingly, the whole climb is in view ahead, so I decide to keep the pedals turning and stare at the tarmac below; the views can wait for another day. Over the top, we descend via some of the back routes into Hamsterley Forest that I sometimes take on the mountain bike, and zoom down towards Eggleston. At the bottom, plenty of the villagers are out and cheering us on, which is just what we need at this point.

Back to Barney
profile-8-back-to-barney.jpg
The first big descent we had early in the morning is now the last real climb of the day. Again, I’d thought I’d be walking, but it turns out to be rideable. At this stage of the day, a counter-flow system has been put in place to allow cars access to Teesdale. At the top, we’re back onto fully-closed roads, and five miles of mostly downhill, with the odd uphill kicker just to stop it being too easy. I still have the energy to get on the drops and get a big gear spinning. I sweep up half a dozen riders who are freewheeling in to the finish.

web-pena1635.jpe

Just under six hours on the road, and a great day out, but I’m not sure I’ll be doing it next year… Let’s see! 10435129_10152524961617180_3257060847404716273_n.jpg
Looks great - well done!

I like the red segments on the route profile. I think I will pinch that idea when describing some hilly routes in future. :thumbsup:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
67.49 Miles this morning. No time for sight-seeing or photos this was head down commuting miles, as I was accompanying Jane on one of her daft 50 mile commutes to work.

We left at 6-15 and followed her usual route Pangbourne-Goring-Wallingford-Watlington-Henley- Wargrave-Twyford and Wynersh Triangle.

On the way, at Christmas Common at the top of a very long hill I stopped for a pee in the bushes, whereupon a donkey started braying, and shortly after that a charming woman pushing a wheel barrow full of feed came out to feed the donkey. She then introduced me to her “Sasha” and insisted I meet her companion, “Samson”. All very sweet an all that but we were trying to cut along, Jane’s laughing, the old dear is extolling the virtues of donkeys the donkey is braying for its food. I tell Jane to go along and I’ll catch her up, which I did six miles later.

We got to Jane’s work place exactly 50 miles, she went to work and I went and had a bacon and egg baguette and coffee then cycled the short 17.5 miles back. I had to stop for some milk, but I was on the road bike and had nowhere to carry it, so did what a TdF domestique does with water bottles, I stuffed down the rear of my jersey. Chilly.

Fantastic riding, lovely weather and no one vexed me today.

Below are snaps of Sasha.

IMG_1103-001.JPG
IMG_1104-001.JPG
IMG_1105-001.JPG
JAnes commute.png
JAnes commute2.png

albion

Guru
Sundays inkling, after nearly 2 whole weeks off the bike was to head west long the C2C past Consett, dropping down to Stanhope, head across ST Johns Chapel, up to Allenheads and maybe back to Newcastle via Blanchland or maybe Hexham. It can wait as can an Alston loop I have at the back of my mind.

Luckily the heavy overnight rain gave me an 'any excuse' to avoid the heavier when wet C2C surface to Parkhead, so instead I went to the easy south, on road. That being to and through Darlington turning later west to Scorton , Bromton on Swale following the flat river road to Richmond.
Having landed at Richmond a couple of times in the past via West Durham Etape like routes, rather than having a 'worse for wear' look on my face, this whole episode became a pleasure. So much so that the route back via Piercebridge, those impressive Roman road climbs to Royal Oak and the up and down back route via Shildon, Kirk Merrington and Tudhoe were done in relative comfort.
100 miles in all.

Monday was a bit similar : a meander down to Darlington via theloafer 's Aycliffe village bridleway at the hammers pub, but over the M1 and though a now junglified bit to get back on the main route through Brafferton. From there is was down to Low and High Coniscliffe for Piercebridge via the closed A67. Back was reasonably similar to Sunday.
85 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom