Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
47.85 miles this morning in the muggy heat. No sun to speak of but very very warm, lots of ups and downs in the country lanes and loads of cyclists out today, hundreds of them. I had a few issues with squeaky cleats in my shoes which were driving me nuts, I kept stopping to tweak them but to no avail, I’m not sure what I’m going to do to stop that. We stopped off at the tea rooms on the K&A canal for a bacon sarny, then headed back via Streatley Hill and Goring. Top speed 41.7! Very silly.

On the way back riding down a very quiet road I saw a kid of about 10/12 wobbling about on a MTB, I called out to let him know I was approaching, I was doing about 25mph, as I past him the stupid sod was texting on his phone.

Lovely ride out today, nice quiet roads and no one managed to pi$$ me off.

Bucklebuty loop1.png
Bucklebuty loop2.png
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

gavgav

Legendary Member
I was forced to stay home this weekend, specifically within easy reach of the toilet, but managed to get some decent rides in during the week.

On Wednesday I got the train from Taunton to Castle Cary and cycled home via Sherborne, clocking up 72 miles of hills, descents and cake. I'd hoped to avoid the rain but it was a bit wet in the morning - not enough to water the crops or gardens but more than enough to leave the roads greasy just as I was approaching some decent downhills. :rolleyes: Behaved myself but managed 38mph down Rock Hill which (kind of) made up for it.

Stopped at the War Memorial in Sherborne. Had to play with the settings as the light wasn't helpful and neither was the proximity of the road, hence the odd angle.
View attachment 50927

Thankfully these clouds were heading in the opposite direction to me:
View attachment 50928

I caught a glimpse of this view as I was merrily making my way along the flat and slammed on the brakes to go back for a better look. An elderly couple passed in their car and stopped to see if I was ok, having seen my bike abandoned on the verge.
View attachment 50926

That was my longest ride for a while so I don't know what inspired me the following day to get up and do it all over again, accumulating 68 miles over the Quantock Hills and surrounding countryside. My sit bones were vigorously complaining by the time I got home. Actually, no - they started with 20 miles to go. :B)

Once up in the hills, I stopped to admire this herd who were loving the good weather and plentiful supply of grass:
View attachment 50930

View attachment 50929

Saw this lady and thought of @skudupnorth :whistle:
View attachment 50931

I've no idea why this church in the sleepy Somerset village of Stogursey was flying the Saltire. :scratch:
View attachment 50932

Once my sit bones started to make their feelings known, I opted for the easy way home and headed along the Bridgwater-Taunton canal instead of back over the hills. It's not really the easy option as the surface is horrible, especially on the road bike, but it's flat. I actually couldn't stand it for more than a few miles so as soon as I could, I left it once I'd bypassed the worst of the climbing and took to the tarmac once more.
View attachment 50933

View attachment 50934

I was absolutely shattered by the time I got home but knew it was worth it as my total for the year to date crept up to a shadow over 4000 miles. :wahhey:
Hope you feel better soon!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Was lucky enough to have had a few days in Spain for a quick break, but it was good to be back on home turf for a quick 13 mile circuit of the flatlands.

It was really a 4 mile round trip to the next village to the shop, but it seemed rude not to extend it a bit!

Lots of cyclists about today wisely ignoring the apocalyptic weather forecast (completely wrong yet again) This is the bridge over Reach Lode.

image.jpg

One of the joys of cycling in these parts is that the few minor roads there are, are normally 'corrugated' due to the shrinking peat. It makes for very undulating roads which are fine on a bike, but mean cars can do no more than about 20mph without risking serious damage. It means that motons are (very reluctantly) driving slowly, which is a joy.

However some do come a cropper, like this Charlie, who clearly took the road too fast and must have smashed up the underneath of his car causing this spillage..

image.jpg

I followed the slick to where the snot bucket in question had clearly spluttered to a terminal halt. I'm not normally one for gloating but ..

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Thoroughly entertained, I headed home- this is Reach Lode from the bridge...
image.jpg

Good to be back on home turf again . Off work until Thursday so hoping to get a few more miles in.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Apologies for this not being today's ride but last weekend's - I've been to visit my folks for the week and only got back yesterday. And it's been a bit of an eventful week!

Last Saturday saw me leaving Nottingham early in the morning with my MTB on the roof of the car and heading out to Middleton Top. From there it is a short road ride to Carsington Water and then round the edge of the reservoir before heading across to Tissington.

last_zpsd5b151d4.jpg

Once there, I joined the Tissington Trail and headed northwards to the Junction of the High Peak Trail which I then followed back to Middleton Top. An excellent mainly off-road circuit marred only be the poor state of the Sustrans off-road sections.

full.png

Garmin gen = 32½ miles / 1500 ft @ 12.1 mph. . . . . . . . max speed 37mph :smile:

There should have been another couple of rides but some pikey nobber saw fit to nick the bike from the locked garage in the night... and it was the first night it was in there. :sad:
A like for the ride but really sorry to hear the bikes gone. I hope it throws the scrotes over the bars.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Apologies for this not being today's ride but last weekend's - I've been to visit my folks for the week and only got back yesterday. And it's been a bit of an eventful week!

Last Saturday saw me leaving Nottingham early in the morning with my MTB on the roof of the car and heading out to Middleton Top. From there it is a short road ride to Carsington Water and then round the edge of the reservoir before heading across to Tissington.

last_zpsd5b151d4.jpg

Once there, I joined the Tissington Trail and headed northwards to the Junction of the High Peak Trail which I then followed back to Middleton Top. An excellent mainly off-road circuit marred only be the poor state of the Sustrans off-road sections.

full.png

Garmin gen = 32½ miles / 1500 ft @ 12.1 mph. . . . . . . . max speed 37mph :smile:

There should have been another couple of rides but some pikey nobber saw fit to nick the bike from the locked garage in the night... and it was the first night it was in there. :sad:

Sorry you had your bike stolen. I've had a look at the new one. Very nice indeed.

thetribe

Über Member
A 21.3 speedy (for me) ride today, average 16mph, I was hoping for faster but as I've got my panniers back on the bike I was guessing they slowed me a little. I decided to weigh my bike when I got home, I have 20lbs listed in my Strava app but the bike is actually 44lbs with everything on, I'm actually quite happy with that 16mph now. Although I've just worked out that me and the bike added together now weigh the same as I did by myself when I got back on the bike at the beginning of the year, that made me think when I was standing with the bloody heavy bike in my hands, that that's how much weight I've lost...

SixteenStats.jpg

SixteenMap.jpg

Oh and that took me over 1,000 miles for the year on the tourer :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom