Your Favourite Bits of Winter Cycling Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What kit works well for you?

I think I'd have to nominate my cycling "boots" - a pair of Shimano SH-D100 high top MTB shoes that take SPD cleats. I bought them hardly used, second hand over a decade ago and I'm always thankful I have them when it gets cold. Plenty of life left in them too.

Drago

Legendary Member
My two pairs of Seal Skinz. Far from universally popular, but at 15 more more years old they look tired and battered yet are still warm and have a decent degree of water resistance.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I wear a bright orange one of these. They are warm and adjustable too in that the flap at the rear can be folded up if things get a bit too warm. Being double skinned the rain doesn't get through unless it's a long deluge. The peak keeps the low sun out of my eyes. Great bit of kit.
moteni-cap-back_large.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got to be my winter boots followed by the Decathlon thermal - you only need a base layer with it, and it comes with built in, but detachable, neck buff.

I use my winter boots a lot - quite often throughout summer on the MTB. They are back in regular use now when commuting, spray from damp roads, puddles on the trails etc. These are the older Shimano MW7 with the velcro fastening. I've been so impressed, I picked up a pair of RW5's via ebay - lower level road boots for the road bikes, then about a year ago, I bought some more MW7's, but with BOA fastening - lightly used on ebay, but had a small 6mm rip which I repaired with superglue.

I rarely use overshoes now, only if caught out when in summer shoes.

I only wish I'd invested in winter boots many years before I did. Must have had boots about 6 years now.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Probably my first Winter of regularly being a ‘proper’ cyclist coming up (Few cold rides in so far). So I’ve just bought a couple of long sleeved tops, removeable arm warmers to go with short sleeved tops, long tights, thick socks, lined full finger gloves, thin underlayer options etc.

But being pretty much bald - my most cherished outdoor item in Winter (Irrespective of activity) is a beanie or bobble hat. Man; my head and ears just get so darned cold I can’t even focus. Keep that warm and I can get around the rest…….

Funnily enough I have another long sleeved top arriving today. Loved these colours:

IMG_6116.jpeg

Does anyone have boot recomendations for platform pedal, everyday riding that are
Waterproof
Stiff enough sole
No excessive ankle padding
No stiff ankle support
Look normal enough for about town.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Couple of winter jerseys bought from Aldi about 10 years ago. Unfortunately as time goes by the sleeves are shrinking. Or my arms are getting longer.
Northwave celsius winter boots.
Ron Hill tracksters
General warm clobber from Decathlon and places like that. Not necessarily cycling specific.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Watching this thread with interest..

I'm keen to see how my new-in-spring DHB merino base layers will do as the temperature drops; so far I'm loving the 1/4 zipped effort as the zipped neck's great for quick and easy temperature regulation. Irritatingly despite being the cheapest / most discounted this format was the type I bought least of :sad:

As with other areas of life a good beanie is worth its weight in gold; I have a nice merino DHB example I've not really tried yet - looks really nice but it's very thin so I'm not sure how much better it'll be than the cheap synthetic one I've been using to this point.

A good pair of Goretex shoes are very handy too - I have a new pair of Scarpa Mojitos ready to go which have served me very well in the past; however being unused I'm reluctant to crack them out for daily use. I'm sure this will change after a few damp rides have left me in with wet feet in the office all day / probably given me trench foot.

Jury's out on the rest of the gear currently; what I have does the job but I'd not say it's great. I'm always on the fence with commuting gear as I like / appreciate the benefits of good quality stuff, but am hesitatant to subject expensive gear to the rigors of daily use.

Last edited:
Main think I like in winter is some gloves my wife got me a few years ago

I don;t really ride if the weather if bad so I don't need too much but they work fine
not waterproof but they don;t need to be as I won;t set off in the rain - they only need to keep the wind out once I am going if it starts raining half way round

I think she got them from Halfords - hi-vis front because she doesn;t want be getting knocked off and all that!

Top Bottom