Your Favourite Bits of Winter Cycling Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I remember riding along the A56 south of Manchester in snow and ice, using snow tyres. I recall using a road side cycle track which gave cyclists priority over a side road. I stopped, but about half a dozen cyclists continued to cross the junction. I realised the side road descended ever so slightly down to the junction and I wanted to see the oncoming car stop before I started to cross. The driver did try and stop, but locked the wheels and the car slid into the group of cyclists.

Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

grldtnr

Über Member
I have always lived pretty much at sea level so the chances of proper ice or snow are remote

Hence - no need to special tyres etc

I can't agree with that, I live on the Thames estuary, and have had snow & ice, even if it's been relatively mild of late, we had snow and ice laying around in '21 for an extended period.
It's not uncommon to have a good frost, which arguably bis worse, it can get cold out here in the east, but the local climate tends to be dry, in fact Wakering a rural area of Southend, is known to be the driest in the country

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Having seen the consequences of commuting when Icy, I just pop on my spare wheels with spikes.

Last year someone broke their hip on my route. Despite being near a hospital, the poor guy was there for a few hours before an ambulance turned up, in sub zero temperatures (he was 100 yards from a major road). A chap I know assisted the person.

I've had the tyres years, and my route is on un-salted paths. I originally purchased them in 2010 due to the predictions of a very harsh spell for a few weeks - I didn't want to resort to the car, and low, and behold, we had snow on the ground for 3 weeks.

I can't avoid riding over water run off from fields. When my route was on main roads, I used to commute as normal, but much of my 'morning' route isn't near any main roads, and is icy. They come into their own when it's snowy.

Never mind any time off work - managers and colleagues presume I've had a bike crash if I'm ever off. I was WFH for a week as I'd strained my foot and couldn't walk - nothing to do with bikes. Anyway, someone told all the senior managers I'd come off my bike. Hissed off I was...

Each to their own !!

My riding buddy told me yesterday he’s “Not keen to go out if there’s ice / frost anytime this Winter - as he had a fall last Winter where he was lucky not to break something”.

‘Me neither’ I replied. I’m more than happy to wack my hiking boots on and go for walk instead in such circumstances.

I think we’ve come to an understanding 😉

grldtnr

Über Member
I'm the same these days sooner get cold and miserable walking ,than wet & cold cycling,
Time was when I always went out regardless, I rarely stayed home I bad weather, admittedly I may have glanced out of the window,seen what is like, turn over and huddled into the bed covers, but I nearly always gave in and got up to go out.....
But things change, I had a bad road collision, .....it's put me off , I stopped club cycling after that, I still cycle when I want, but I am not as driven to ride as I was.
The attitude to cyclist on the busy roads in my urban area has put me off, I need to ride at least 15 miles on busy roads to find the country roads,but once there I find the reason why I cycle

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I'm the same these days sooner get cold and miserable walking ,than wet & cold cycling,
Time was when I always went out regardless, I rarely stayed home I bad weather, admittedly I may have glanced out of the window,seen what is like, turn over and huddled into the bed covers, but I nearly always gave in and got up to go out.....
But things change, I had a bad road collision, .....it's put me off , I stopped club cycling after that, I still cycle when I want, but I am not as driven to ride as I was.
The attitude to cyclist on the busy roads in my urban area has put me off, I need to ride at least 15 miles on busy roads to find the country roads,but once there I find the reason why I cycle

I hear you.

That’s primarily why me; and my riding buddy choose to cycle very early in the Morning. Ie: Before the majority of car driving zombies have risen and taken to her Majesty’s highways.

And the llater in the day we manage to get out on 2 wheels - the further from civilisation we head……

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I remember riding along the A56 south of Manchester in snow and ice, using snow tyres. I recall using a road side cycle track which gave cyclists priority over a side road. I stopped, but about half a dozen cyclists continued to cross the junction. I realised the side road descended ever so slightly down to the junction and I wanted to see the oncoming car stop before I started to cross. The driver did try and stop, but locked the wheels and the car slid into the group of cyclists.

Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.
Reading the road / anticipation whatever you call it is a lost or never acquired skill for a lot of road users .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I’m more than happy to wack my hiking boots on and go for walk instead in such circumstances.
When it's icy, I feel safer cycling on my studded tyres than walking any distance: the pavements are rarely gritted in my area.
If I need to walk, I'll wear ice grippers on my shoes.
One can still fall wearing hiking boots, imo.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Studded snow tyres are the dogs danglies in icy conditions.
I am sorely tempted to buy a set just so I can ride in the ice. My ownly reservation is the limited choice of traffic free routes from my current abode.

I made some studded ice tyres from cheap mtb knobblies. They are very effective on ice and last several years with the occasional ice ups that we get in East Anglia.
The problem is bothering to fit them for the odd harsh frost.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got some studded tyres in the garage. But I'm a recreational cyclist, not a commuter, so they were made redundant when I got my turbo trainer.

Top Bottom