Your Favourite Bits of Winter Cycling Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
Nope, spiked tyres are for pussies. Riding according to the conditions is THE rule.

Does that mean, to you, not riding when there is a danger of ice? It does to me, I wouldn't dream of riding in those circumstances.

My far and away my favourite winter kit item is the plastic box labelled “winter clothes” so i can put them away and forget about them😂

Beyond that idid pick up a craft icebreaker vest for last winter and found it very useful. It has a wind stopper type front on it, sort of double layer material that is very useful in colder temperatures.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Does that mean, to you, not riding when there is a danger of ice? It does to me, I wouldn't dream of riding in those circumstances.

I go out for leisure or to commute when there is ice. In fact I prefer it if there is definitely ice, rather than a risk of ice. It just means I have to ride accordingly, with greater care. Not as quick, but often not much slower than 'normal'.

TBH, when the weather gets bad I find the bike is the only way to get around because all the cars are slipping and sliding around causing gridlock.

By the time it’s bad enough that I take the car you can’t move by bike. If I’m really lucky I can’t even get the car out of the drive and get to spend the day at home relaxing…

after digging out.

have you ever been able to walk up a snow drift and step onto the roof of your house?

grldtnr

Über Member
By the time it’s bad enough that I take the car you can’t move by bike. If I’m really lucky I can’t even get the car out of the drive and get to spend the day at home relaxing…

after digging out.

have you ever been able to walk up a snow drift and step onto the roof of your house?

Now, that's winter cycling!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On that basis my favourite is the puddle of water on the garden table cover and whether it is frozen or not.
I've got a bird bath for this purpose :laugh:

No, but you wouldn't be taking the car out in those conditions either.

Nope… you walk… slog really, very slowly.

my dad and I went for groceries during that particular storm. while walking down the middle of the street I snagged my foot on something quite solid, tripped and fell on in the snow. Wondering what had tripped me I clear the snow away to find the “taxi” sign on the roof of a cab which been snowed in during the night. Yeah, I walked up onto a full size American car without noticing. Screwed up part of the world.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having seen the consequences of commuting when Icy, I just pop on my spare wheels with spikes.

Last year someone broke their hip on my route. Despite being near a hospital, the poor guy was there for a few hours before an ambulance turned up, in sub zero temperatures (he was 100 yards from a major road). A chap I know assisted the person.

I've had the tyres years, and my route is on un-salted paths. I originally purchased them in 2010 due to the predictions of a very harsh spell for a few weeks - I didn't want to resort to the car, and low, and behold, we had snow on the ground for 3 weeks.

I can't avoid riding over water run off from fields. When my route was on main roads, I used to commute as normal, but much of my 'morning' route isn't near any main roads, and is icy. They come into their own when it's snowy.

Never mind any time off work - managers and colleagues presume I've had a bike crash if I'm ever off. I was WFH for a week as I'd strained my foot and couldn't walk - nothing to do with bikes. Anyway, someone told all the senior managers I'd come off my bike. Hissed off I was...

Top Bottom