Your Favourite Bits of Winter Cycling Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Neoprene toe covers for my summer cycling shoes. Never did like winter boots always a bit loose on the feet.

I wear a bright orange one of these. They are warm and adjustable too in that the flap at the rear can be folded up if things get a bit too warm. Being double skinned the rain doesn't get through unless it's a long deluge. The peak keeps the low sun out of my eyes. Great bit of kit.
View attachment 748736

Aaah I had one of those when I started cycling, with a matching nylon fronted 'winter' jacket.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Does anyone have boot recomendations for platform pedal, everyday riding that are
Waterproof
Stiff enough sole
No excessive ankle padding
No stiff ankle support
Look normal enough for about town.

Wellington ... Fits your requirements perfectly.

I live in Canada, when winter does its thing around here the only cure is a big fat sedan with heated seats.

IMG_0344.jpeg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I wear a bright orange one of these. They are warm and adjustable too in that the flap at the rear can be folded up if things get a bit too warm. Being double skinned the rain doesn't get through unless it's a long deluge. The peak keeps the low sun out of my eyes. Great bit of kit.
View attachment 748736
Hello @twentysix by twentyfive, do you remember where you bought this?
I have similar, bought years ago in a charity shop, that need now replaced.
I do wear it most of the year, it's always freezing in the mornings.
Does anyone have boot recomendations for platform pedal, everyday riding that are
Waterproof
Stiff enough sole
No excessive ankle padding
No stiff ankle support
Look normal enough for about town.
I use Scarpa walking/trekking shoes/boots, got several pairs through the years.
They are waterproof up to a degree: in a deluge the water will enter a bit, but you could combine them with waterproof socks - Aldi's are fine.
The sole is stiff and grips to the pedals.

My favourite bits of winter kit are my studded ice tyres - makes possible early morning commuting on roads and paths that are never gritted.
I have few items of cycle specific clothing, on of my favourite is my Altura Night Vision jacket, still keeps my top half dry after years of use.
I do the reproofing every 6 months or so.

Top Bottom