Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Went to water the veg patch and had to evict these two snails from the watering can first so took the opportunity to data tag them just incase @Jenkins finds them out and about

IMG_20240618_193529.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Various herons along the Kennet & Avon canal not far east of Bath. Phone snaps from only a few metres away

8AA833E1-FD74-436F-A4D8-1A5A5BD379AD.jpeg

48277DFB-30D9-4187-9FED-A80D833ECC3D.jpeg

3BB9AD49-D65F-4322-BA13-7BD97BDAB917.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last night I went to a little village called Lutton that’s right on the southern edge of Dartmoor, the plan was to see/hear Nightjar.

I had some brief sightings and lots of calls.

I can’t work out how to add a sound file to this post….

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So today I skived off work and went to Brixham. There is a camera shop called Mifsuds who do sensor cleaning. So I had the sensor cleaned, apparently it was ‘quite’ dirty.

I may have also purchased a new (2nd hand) lens.

Before camera cleaning I went to Berry Head NNR. The sky was blue, wildflowers left right and centre. The standout ones being pyramidal orchid and vipers bugloss.

I saw young whitethroats, Cirl Bunting and guillemot on the sea, the fledglings practicing taking off and landing.

While my camera was being cleaned I walked along the harbour wall and saw a seal.

_DSC1967.jpeg

_DSC1945.jpeg

_DSC1867.jpeg

_DSC1888.jpeg

_DSC1824.jpeg

_DSC1826.jpeg

IMG_2467.jpeg

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2444.jpeg

Hicky

Guru
After a few hours at our local fishing ponds, a yellow Wagtail(I love watching it), Heron and a Sparrowhwk all were spotted. I’d of got a picture but my phone battery is playing up terribly.
We usually have three Kingfishers around however I’ve yet to hear them this year.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So today I skived off work and went to Brixham. There is a camera shop called Mifsuds who do sensor cleaning. So I had the sensor cleaned, apparently it was ‘quite’ dirty.

I may have also purchased a new (2nd hand) lens.

Before camera cleaning I went to Berry Head NNR. The sky was blue, wildflowers left right and centre. The standout ones being pyramidal orchid and vipers bugloss.

I saw young whitethroats, Cirl Bunting and guillemot on the sea, the fledglings practicing taking off and landing.

While my camera was being cleaned I walked along the harbour wall and saw a seal.

View attachment 734901

View attachment 734902

View attachment 734903

View attachment 734904

View attachment 734905

View attachment 734906

View attachment 734907

View attachment 734908

View attachment 734909

View attachment 734910

Some years back we were walking along by Brixham harbour and we saw a seal some 50 yards out munching his way through a sizeable conger eel at least 4' long and as thick as your arm. Dunno if a fishing boat had just slung it overboard for some reason, or had he just caught it in the harbour? Do congers even live just off the coast in the shallows?

Last edited:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Been noticing our pot growing conker tree has half circles missing on the leaves

IMG_20240625_102815.jpg

Quick Google search shows leaf cutting bee as a prime culprit so nature camera is set up to see if see anything

roley poley

Veteran
Been noticing our pot growing conker tree has half circles missing on the leaves

View attachment 735361

Quick Google search shows leaf cutting bee as a prime culprit so nature camera is set up to see if see anything

Yes I have the same... its a wasp/bee that nibbles a semi-circle of leaf to carry away between its legs to ..i presume its nest for the hive build ..watched this happen whitest sat on the doorstep with a pot of tea on the clearings of my grandkids sand pit which had contained conkers to turn into a small sapling by the door

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An arduous resurrection of an old YouTube account….

So I went up to Lutton again last night. The Nightjar started calling on the stroke of 10 pm, called for a few minutes and then flew off. I briefly saw it while I was walking back to the van.

Please excuse the smeary lens, it was Avon skin so soft. The midges were eating me alive!

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/hOcxNZwQhYY?feature=share

Top Bottom