What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Escargots too. I mean I've eaten them, but the fact that they were snails took the edge off what little pleasure there is to be had from eating garlic flavoured rubber.
My father tried an oyster once, he said it was like a piece of rubber in salt water.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Escargots are a waste of good garlic butter.

If I'm going to eat something quintessentially French and a bit off-the-wall, I'd rather have frogs' legs. Overpriced and fiddly to eat, yes, but very pleasant to eat nonetheless.

I've not tried frogs legs but my off-the-wall French dish is Andouille. I've had it a few times. The first and best time in an old traditional restaurant in Vire (which is Andouille central). It was odd but definitely worth eating again. Subsequent attempts have been less satisfying - poop flavoured elastic bands come to mind.

Another oddity I've had was Ris de Veau which I think is veal pancreas. Anyway it was in a delicious sauce and beautifully presented. It would maybe have been more appetising if it had been something other than a random organ but overall a good dish.

Tunnocks Snowballs and wagon wheels (thank goodness they are so much smaller than when I once tried one and swore never again at about 6 years old).

Oh and marshmallows. The only marshmallows I will eat are when they have been completely caramalized in a fire or BBQ and are jusst sweet sugar on a stick (with burnt black outer).

All these are seriously digusting. Put it this way, I hate snails but I found snails with garlic butter to taste a whole league of better than the above. I've eaten raw winkles and oysters, I would eat a thousand of those before you could get be to consider eating the above. There is just no need to invent such an obnoxious set of "foods".

Conrad_K

If I'm going to eat something quintessentially French and a bit off-the-wall, I'd rather have frogs' legs. Overpriced and fiddly to eat, yes, but very pleasant to eat nonetheless.

They're not unusual in the American South. Well, about half of the South was originally colonized by France, so I guess that makes sense.

You stab them with a spear with a tiny trident on the end, called a 'frog gig'. Not a lot of meat on them, but tasty. Supposedly the ones you get in restaurants mostly come from India.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Honestly, i will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid Olives. But i must say recently, i tried Banana Angel Delight and it was absolutely disgusting. Tastes exactly like Banana flavoured Antibiotics i had as a kid.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Honestly, i will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid Olives. But i must say recently, i tried Banana Angel Delight and it was absolutely disgusting. Tastes exactly like Banana flavoured Antibiotics i had as a kid.

And it stinks your fridge out as well!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ever-amazed-by-your-own-stupidity.277059/page-17#post-7233212

Gillstay

Veteran
They're not unusual in the American South. Well, about half of the South was originally colonized by France, so I guess that makes sense.

You stab them with a spear with a tiny trident on the end, called a 'frog gig'. Not a lot of meat on them, but tasty. Supposedly the ones you get in restaurants mostly come from India.

Yeah, and often killed in a horrible manner at a time when many amphibians are becoming extinct. Very sad.

One thing that is absolutely vile is the Paul Newman-branded garlic salad dressing.

Now I absolutely *LOVE* garlic, and the more the better, but this stuff - one taste and the rest of the bottle went down the sink. I simply could not bring myself to eat it.

If you are in two minds about garlic, this will put you off for life. However, if you like garlic, this salad dressing is an affront to humanity in general. And yet, it must sell, because every supermarket seems to stock it... :scratch:

Top Bottom