What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Budgens. The brand is as per Accy's link

There ain't one near here. Phooey...

Conrad_K

One thing that is absolutely vile is the Paul Newman-branded garlic salad dressing.

The Paul Newman branded "oil and vinegar" is excellent, but only rarely appears on local shelves. Examining the contents label on the bottle, I saw that it contained brown mustard. So I made up some oil and vinegar dressing with mustard.

It comes out a disgusting brown color, but it tastes very similar to the Newman branded stuff. The rest of the taste is probably in the "spices", which are not called out in the (US Federal) contents label.

Downside: adding up the costs of decent salad vinegar, probably-not-fake olive oil, and mustard, it costs more to DIY than to buy the packaged stuff, when I can get it.

Conrad_K

My (Japanese) Father in Law eats a fried fish every morning for Breakfast, but he always skewers the eye with his chopstick first, because he says he doesn't like them watching him eat.
One of Terry Pratchett's books (Making Money?) had the protagonist tell the cook that he didn't care for boiled pig's head because he didn't like his food looking at him.

When dinner was served, they lifted the boiled pig's head out of the pot... and it was wearing sunglasses.

I was driving a company van down Interstate 40 listening to the audiobook. It was 3 o'clock in the morning, I was doing 80 miles per hour, and I dropped two wheels into the grass because I was laughing too hard to maintain control of the vehicle.

pterry was definitely made from a broken mold.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
According to a South African friend, pork scratchings.

In my opinion, the tongue I once had in France - it was that or squid. You think of tongue as being like ham, don't you? Well, this was just like a tongue. With bobbles and all.

One of Terry Pratchett's books (Making Money?) had the protagonist tell the cook that he didn't care for boiled pig's head because he didn't like his food looking at him.

When dinner was served, they lifted the boiled pig's head out of the pot... and it was wearing sunglasses.

I was driving a company van down Interstate 40 listening to the audiobook. It was 3 o'clock in the morning, I was doing 80 miles per hour, and I dropped two wheels into the grass because I was laughing too hard to maintain control of the vehicle.

pterry was definitely made from a broken mold.

Indeed. Currently laughing my way through Carpe Juggulum as I write this.

The Paul Newman branded "oil and vinegar" is excellent, but only rarely appears on local shelves. Examining the contents label on the bottle, I saw that it contained brown mustard. So I made up some oil and vinegar dressing with mustard.

It comes out a disgusting brown color, but it tastes very similar to the Newman branded stuff. The rest of the taste is probably in the "spices", which are not called out in the (US Federal) contents label.

Downside: adding up the costs of decent salad vinegar, probably-not-fake olive oil, and mustard, it costs more to DIY than to buy the packaged stuff, when I can get it.

I've no experience shopping for grocery ingredients in the US. But yeah, sometimes making stuff from scratch isn't cheaper than buying ready made. The advantage though, is knowing exactly what you've put in it.

The price of olive oil has gone through the roof here in the UK though. Certain types have almost doubled in price. But I got lucky and picked up a litre bottle recently on yellow sticker (clearance) for £7.50 instead of £15. I wasn't going to turn that down!

Though tbh, most of my salads get dressed with a drizzle of oil, a drizzle of balsamic, salt & pepper. Or with a 50-50 soured cream & mayo mix seasoned with whatever I fancy or suits the veg that's in there.

Stregone

I once tried durian, and it was a wild experience. Imagine custard mixed with onions and a bit of old garbage. The smell alone was enough to put me off. Not going back for seconds on that one!

Conrad_K

The price of olive oil has gone through the roof here in the UK though. Certain types have almost doubled in price. But I got lucky and picked up a litre bottle recently on yellow sticker (clearance) for £7.50 instead of £15. I wasn't going to turn that down!
That's about what it costs in my area of the US, for something that's *probably* olive oil. The Department of Agriculture says more than half of the "olive oil" sold in the US is either fake or heavily adulterated. The USDA has jurisdiction to act on this, as does the Federal Trade Commission, but for some reason they seem to have zero interest in doing anything about it.

Now, fake maple syrup is a whole different story. Theoretically, almost all of that comes from Canada, and the Canadian government apparently uses its diplomatic clout to prod the USDA and FTC into action. They actually put people in jail for counterfeiting Canadian maple syrup.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have any of you smelt a just cracked open egg that's clearly gone off? I haven't smelt that certain stench since I worked in a restaurant kitchen in the late 1980's. I cracked the egg open and then it hit me and filled the whole kitchen with the stench! :ohmy: xx( xx( xx( Heck! it was horrendous and it still sticks in my mind all these years later! Every time I crack an egg open, especially an out of date one, I always hesitate in case it might've gone off. :unsure:

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Have any of you smelt a just cracked open egg that's clearly gone off? I haven't smelt that certain stench since I worked in a restaurant kitchen in the late 1980's. I cracked the egg open and then it hit me and filled the whole kitchen with the stench! :ohmy: xx( xx( xx( Heck! it was horrendous and it still sticks in my mind all these years later! Every time I crack an egg open, especially an out of date one, I always hesitate in case it might've gone off. :unsure:

Yebbut, the thread title is "What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?"
So...

...did you eat it? xx(

Tip for future reference; if in doubt, see whether the egg floats in cold water. If it does, bin it / save it for throwing at Nigel Farage.

Top Bottom