What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it that the pads are not retracting far enough? When I got my spyres, one of them had that problem. When I disassembled it I found that there was a lot of crud behind the pad adjusters preventing them from retracting fully.

i will have a look although they were bought " new taken off bike for upgrade " and looked mint

Reactions: C R
Managed stuff all today: I had to go and help on the till, which amongst other things meant being patient with a customer who wanted a bike "to commute into Freiburg", about 11 miles or 17k, but thought 155€ was "a bit too much" for a good quality bike capable of this...

I did manage to sort out the 26" tyres though...

postman

Squire
A few hours in Sorbi Bridge.Putting together three Ikea items.First was a Billy bookcase,then a very nice desk named Alex and finally a very heavy four draw chest of draws whose name i dont bloody care about,i was tired by the end.There were three curtain poles to put up but i need my drill to put some holes in the battens.So all in all a good but tiring day,i am getting old.

I refurbished my left shoe, replacement toe vent, heel cup and cleat.

View attachment 703011

Finally got round to replacing the right heal. I had left it a little too long whilst the sole was still protected by the heal pad and screw head still had bite it wasn't quite enough to budge the screw so I had to keep on working at the heal pad with needle nosed pliers until it was pliable to pull off the screw. Then I could grip the bare screw head with the pliers and unscrew it. Job done :okay:

20230826_212403.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
After a lot of steep 16%+ climbs this week, I'm not happy with the drivechain on my recent build, the Fat Old Bloke Hill Climber (FOBHC), so I've disassembled the drivechain and I'm waiting for some parts in the post. :sad:

Swapped the rear derailleur for a SRAM SX Eagle 12 Speed Rear Derailleur, max sprocket 50t.

Changed the BB, so I get a narrower chainline. Everything working better, I'll test the new setup on some steeper climbs in the week. :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Some work finished on a few bikes with my son before he goes back to university;

New chain on his Carlton Corsa orange fixie. An orange one.

The Ridley Helium hillclimb bike is just about done, bar trimming the steerer and seatpost. It's at 5.5kg which will do but there's a couple of future jobs planned to make further tweaks:

PXL_20230828_140002207.jpg

We've got to put a new chain and bar tape onto his track bike after the Irish nationals (3rd bike in photo). It may not look it but the red/white bar tape is xx(

LG_03583.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
Some work finished on a few bikes with my son before he goes back to university;

New chain on his Carlton Corsa orange fixie. An orange one.

The Ridley Helium hillclimb bike is just about done, bar trimming the steerer and seatpost. It's at 5.5kg which will do but there's a couple of future jobs planned to make further tweaks:

View attachment 704347

We've got to put a new chain and bar tape onto his track bike after the Irish nationals (3rd bike in photo). It may not look it but the red/white bar tape is xx(

View attachment 704345

Trimming the seatpost seriously!

Have you not read threads about bike weight not mattering!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

DCLane

Trimming the seatpost seriously!

Have you not read threads about bike weight not mattering!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

This has been built for hillclimbing. Weight matters - https://weightweenies.starbike.com Our old 5.1kg PlanetX was shot but didn't appear in the GCN video below:

And if you want to know why it matters, have a look at 2019's national hillclimb championships (son no. 2 appears at 4.12 as a cheeky child getting into shot!).

There's always time for you to enter this year's national hillclimb up The Struggle - https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/24745 You could always have a go on an old Apollo MTB if weight doesn't matter :whistle:

Jameshow

Veteran
This has been built for hillclimbing. Weight matters - https://weightweenies.starbike.com Our old 5.1kg PlanetX was shot but didn't appear in the GCN video below:

And if you want to know why it matters, have a look at 2019's national hillclimb championships (son no. 2 appears at 4.12 as a cheeky child getting into shot!).

There's always time for you to enter this year's national hillclimb up The Struggle - https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/24745 You could always have a go on an old Apollo MTB if weight doesn't matter :whistle:

Living in Yorkshire I definitely agree!

I was more pulling the leg of those who don't think bike weight matters!

Would love a Scott addict or supersix hi mod!

Bristolian

I took the opportunity to wash my bike (yesterday). Ashamed to say it was the first time since I bought it in February :ohmy: and it definitely needed it. I realised that the paintwork is looking a bit shabby, but I suppose that's to be expected as it's 13 years old. Also removed the cranks, chain rings and bottom bracket spindle to apply some fresh grease. Finished off by adjusting the front and rear derailleurs to cure a bit of sloppy gear changing.

DCLane

The SPD pedals bought from @Pat "5mph" have gone onto my Avanti Circa 1. They'll endure a life of inner-city commuting in bad weather.

Also, I've had enough of the saddle which came with the Viner Mitus frameset. It's a ProLogo Scratch2 and it just doesn't suit me, so that's been swapped for a green/black saddle from Scott that I'll try out. Also, it's being a pain; slipping gears and carbon bars so some adjustments have been done.

Top Bottom