What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
Tightened the cones in the rear wheel of the Trek 810 after a short ride and feeling a little play in it. The cones were rough as a 🦡's when I got the bike and after cleaning and re-greasing they were a lot better. But, the rear wheel non-drive side cone was a bugger to tighten as the inner nut seemed to be almost lost in the hub, with barely a mm to get a spanner on whilst tightening the lock nut at the same time (I'll have a look for a thicker nut if I remember). I actually filed an old cone spanner down to get at it, but must not have done it back up tight enough. Hopefully sorted now. (The rear axle was a solid jobbie when I got the bike and I replaced it with a quick release one I got from Recyke-y'-bike, always good for old bits and pieces, the bottom bracket came from there too).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Loose freehub on commuter. Popped axel out and undid freehub, cleaned up threads. As its a used hub, did look like someone had stripped a few threads on the hub where the freehub screws in, so applied thread lock, and tightened back up.

Will keep an eye on it. Otherwise its a rebuild and a replacement hub.

Took another crack at the front disc brake and got it working nicely for all of 3 brake tests and then its back to square one .
Doing my head in now :cursing:
The Vanquish? I solved it by pushing the caliper as far out as possible and then running the outboard rotor piston all the way in (like worn pads) as I noticed that when braking only one piston moved with the 550’s but you could adjust on both sides! I threw the 510’s away as they are useless!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Vanquish? I solved it by pushing the caliper as far out as possible and then running the outboard rotor piston all the way in (like worn pads) as I noticed that when braking only one piston moved with the 550’s but you could adjust on both sides! I threw the 510’s away as they are useless!

The 550 you can adjust both but even fully out there isn't much play ,maybe half a turn of the adjuster . something to do with the qr and forks methinks as he back one is set up nicely.had issues with the 510 as well but not this bad ! If I set it up so it won't rub I may as well not bother having the brake attached.

The 550 you can adjust both but even fully out there isn't much play ,maybe half a turn of the adjuster . something to do with the qr and forks methinks as he back one is set up nicely.had issues with the 510 as well but not this bad ! If I set it up so it won't rub I may as well not bother having the brake attached.
Yes, should of said I used to have to tug the spoke as I tightened the quick release to align the disc.

C R

Guru

Could the disc be out of true? I had a similar problem, and got a tool and trued the disc, no more rubbing since. I guess you don't really need a special tool, probably a large adjustable spanner would do.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not my bike, but I did help out a couple of young girls with a stuck chain on one of their bikes. The obvious problem was that it was off the front chainring & stuck behind the chainguard, but their initial attempts to fix it had also caused it to get slightly trapped between the cassette & frame at the rear. Only took a couple of minutes and I didn't even get dirty as the chain hadn't seen any lubricant in some time.

Drzdave58

Über Member
I finished up reconditioning this Vitus 992 today. I disassembled, cleaned, lubed and polished up the aluminum parts. I had to replace the rear derailer as well. i found it locally and it’s a quite rare bike with some interesting features. Made in france.
IMG_3628.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3630.jpeg

Top Bottom