What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you can call it fettling I went to wipe down the chain on my gravel bike and it was noisy and unsmooth back pedalling in the big ring. I tracked it down to the front derailleur but had my contact lenses in so it wasn't apparent what it was. I was just about to take them out so I could see clearly what it was doh then I saw it. The black rubber bit on the inside of the GRX derailleur cage had came loose for some reason it seems to have gone back in OK 🤞
After that I did wipe down the chain and relube it and pump the tyres up to circa 25-28psi.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I've put all of the late 1980's Shimano 600 Tricolor components back on my old 1980's racer, Reynolds 531C competition frame.

Brake levers.
Brake Calipers.
Downtube Levers.
Wheels/Hubs.
Cranks with original front chainrings 52/48. :eek:
Front Dérailleur.
Rear Dérailleur.
Seat Post.

After my gravel ride I came back and put my new wheels on my road bike. That took a little longer than it should have though, I shifted down to the smallest cog to take the rear wheel out. When I put the wheel back in, the chain landed on the 3rd cog so I went to shift up but the shifter jammed. I thought initially it was a snapped cable but quickly realised the cable was good. After a while I figured out what it was. The shifter head can come out of the dura ace cable puller (or whatever its called). Which I think is fine when the system is under tension and probably OK 99% of the time when it isn’t. Today was the 1% when it wasn’t. After a lot of cleaning I managed to get the cable puller round to the correct spot, I then created slack in the cable by manually shifting the rear derailleur, pushed the cable end back into the puller and let the rear mech tighten the cable. I then took it for a test ride. (Very hard to see but whilst the carbon pads slotted easily in to the front pad holders the grub screw on the rear pads had seized so its new Clark pad holders) Lol, when out of the flat I realised I’d left the varia (I feel naked without it so went back in. Double Lol, when I was outside again I realised I’d forgotten to put the hood back on. I wanted back for the TdF finale so I decided to put it off till now which was after cleaning the gravel bike
:joy:

LU4zQ3Q50qtCofsBlY6GwglVyqEHLtulhLawqRfU-1536x2048.jpg

On hindsight about 2 years ago the left shifter jammed and I forced it and broke it, I bet the same thing happened!

I did a roadside repair for someone today. Their chain was stuck behind the cassette. At first I lent them my tool box, as I had to pop into a shop, when I returned they were busy loosening the cone nuts to the point where bearings were going to spill out onto the pavement, so I took over.

Thank you on behalf of the bike mechanic who would otherwise have been presented with a bike less axle and bearings and expected to fix it in two minutes, for free.

Sallar55

Veteran
More of a miss fettle. Opened up an Edelux light , had issues before with condensation but that fixed itself. Now its died and was time to try to open it up. a search said it was well built and a pain to disassemble, its full of epoxy and loctite, managed to pull apart but the glass is gone. Schmidt know how to make sealed units. Have the reflector,led and light body. Going to put a cheap plastic B&M led unit into it.

PXL_20230725_100026114.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My saddles tension shackle snapped when away, had to buy another saddle. Carried this back , was not going to throw it away.

View attachment 700142

View attachment 700143

View attachment 700144 Going to buy another shackle from whoever has one. Brooks don't show them on the spares page.

Give em a ring, bet they still use that bolt.

My saddles tension shackle snapped when away, had to buy another saddle. Carried this back , was not going to throw it away.

View attachment 700142

View attachment 700143

View attachment 700144 Going to buy another shackle from whoever has one. Brooks don't show them on

Its the shackle that sits on the rails that snapped, bolt and sleeved nut are ok. two have snapped at the same place.

View attachment 700251

You can get one from SJS Cycles
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/brooks-tension-shackle-chrome-byb140/?geoc=TH
They also do a titanium one if you're feeling flush. Oxymoron that one, doubt a weight weenie would choose a Brooks in the first place :laugh:

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You can get one from SJS Cycles
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/brooks-tension-shackle-chrome-byb140/?geoc=TH
They also do a titanium one if you're feeling flush. Oxymoron that one, doubt a wight weenie would choose a Brooks in the first place :laugh:

The Titanium fittings are for the saddles with Titanium rails and are slightly different so probably wouldn't fit the Steel rail versions.

BTW 2 of my Brooks (the Swift and the Ltd Ed Swallow) have the Titanium hardware

Top Bottom