What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Wet and windy today so fettled a few things. The rohloff was leaking a bit so first fix was to check bolts on face plate and change the paper gaskets. If that doesn’t sort it it will have to be a trip to SJS. Next was identifying washers on mixer taps that were dripping but that will need a trip to DIY store to fix. Then Fettled trunking around cables on the house phone. Finally sanded bread boards which had got a bit of black mold. Now TdF time!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Had a glance at the rear tyre on the tandem after a short outing this morning. All the tread has gone and a couple of nicks where the core is showing through so decided to change it - we've got a tour planned in Sept.

It's a PITA as it's marathon plus, and also need to disconnect the drag brake; got there eventually but not easy even with a VAR lever.

Found a sharp pointy thing embedded. I couldnt grip it with pliers so I pushed it from the other side with a sharp, pointy bradle. The sharp thing was a shard of flint, 8mm long with 3 edges, a perfectly designed penetrator. It wasnt in my tyre, it was in the sole of my suede desert boots !

8mph

Veteran
I stripped a Stumpjumper M2 bike, which took an inordinate amount of time and effort. Prices at the tip have started to creep up, I paid £15, which would have been £5 last year. Usable parts are....

Quite a high spec frame "metal matrix" composite.

Thompson Elite seat tube (they didn't price that in!) :whistle:

Nice vintage XT rear and LX front mechs

Go Fast riser bars

Mavic X221 rim + Rigida eyeleted rim laced to XT Parallax hubs, cleaned, yet to service

Couldn't get the Welgo alloy pedals free from the nice looking Sugino Crankset, my pedal spanner is looking a bit mashed. Time for a cuppa

IMG_20230718_190901_edit_99918058558711.jpg

Last edited:
Put tubeless tyres on my new wheel that came today. They were a bit tight but sat instantly with a track pump and there was little or no mess. I'll get my old wheel serviced for winter but looking at their spin I need to get them on ASAP; I have to change the pads first and thats tomorrow's task as well as replacing the internally routed gear cable on the TT bike.

buzz22

Über Member
My 1982 Europa looked good but wasn't as nice to ride as it could be.
Today I replaced the original wheels with some spare Araya wheels on 105 hubs and a 7 speed cassette.
The original bar tape was replaced with some much thicker but still traditional looking tape.
Some new Azur flat pedals and a new seat went on as well.
Much nicer to ride, still looks relatively original.
Before
20220605_093144.jpg

After
20230720_112527.jpg

20230720_112553.jpg

20230720_112608.jpg

20230720_112545.jpg

Windle

Über Member
Fitted a new sealed unit headset to my recently acquired second-hand Trek 29'er (see my bike in front of some railings thread). The steering was a bit stiff when I got it and upon loosening the headset and doing a couple of rides it seemed that something was not right, rocking under braking or too tight when I tried to correct it. I'm not completely sure the old headset was even the correct size with the lower bearing race not seating onto the crown race properly. The sealed unit is a much better engineered solution to steering swivelry!

A surprisingly successful fettle at lunch time. The internally routed gear cable on my TT bike snapped on Tuesday night, so I started to fit the replacement at lunchtime. The cable usually snags under the BB. As expected the new cable met resistance there and I stopped. So I removed the cover under the BB, adjusted the front derailleur and rear brake to get enough cable slack to remove the internal guide behind the removed cover. There wasn't quite enough slack so I was thinking I'd have to unship the front derailleur cable entirely which would be a pain. Then I thought I'd give the cable another gentle push now the cover was off and it came straight through. So I was able to thread it through the cable guide to the rear derailleur. I'll have to tighten it and readjust the gears tonight but at least what I expected to be a time consuming job (internal routing) is done 👍

GuyBoden

Guru
There was a slight "ticking" noise when putting all of my old bloke power down on the pedals today, I was hoping that it was just the pedals and not the BB.

So, when I got home I changed the pedals to a new pair and set off again, I put all of my old bloke power down again on a few steep ascents, whilst in the highest/hardest to pedal gear, no "ticking" noise, so it's fixed. Very pleased. ^_^

C R

Guru
Somehow the lock ring of the freewheel of daughter 2 bike managed to work itself loose and spilled most of the bearings along the road during her paper round. This caused the freewheel to alternate between fixed and free both ways at random.

Once I diagnosed the problem it was a decision between getting a new freewheel or putting new bearings in this one. I decided on the second one for two reasons. One, it seemed a waste to throw away an almost new freewheel. Two, according to t'internet it is a very difficult and fiddly thing to do to reassemble a freewheel.

Having looked at the set up, it seemed to me that all that was needed was a bit of patience and some grease to hold the bearings in the lower race, then put the block on top grease the upper race, drop the top bearings in and tighten the locking. And that was it really. The most difficult part was tightening the locking ring, as it isn't easy to apply torque with a pin spanner.

Bike is now working again, and will keep an eye on that locking ring to make sure it doesn't go loose again.

Its actually just after midnight so it's technically yesterday that I hooked up my rear derailleur on the TT bike then fettled things for a while. I also cleaned and relubed the chain. But what took to nearly midnight was I noticed the rear v brake was sticking so I stripped cleaned and greased it all. It was still marginally not strong enough to get the brake lever to return to centre and stop the pad from skiffing so I took a pad spacer out to give it that extra mm. It seemed ok in the stand before I decided to call it a night. I guess I will see in the morning.

Top Bottom