What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Work have sponsored me in a charity ride this weekend, and the weather seems to have forgotten it's summer. So I've decided to ride my gravel bike, but my road wheels for it needed new rim tape and tubeless valves, which have been sitting unopened for several months now. So I replaced the rim tape, which was easy, got the first tyre on without issue, fought with the second tyre for about 2 hours before it finally seated in the rim, and spent another hour looking for leaks. I'll probably wake up to 2 flat tyres in the morning...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Took advantage of a warm & sunny afternoon to set the bike stand up in the back garden and slowly work my way through all 8 bikes cleaning & lubing the chains, pumping the tyres up and giving the frames a quick wipe down clean. With the strength of the wind, I did have to hold the carbon bike steady while working on it.

Sorting stuff out in the shed and finally deciding what I need to get rid of.
List so far includes;
Dynamo wheelset
Ridley X-TRAIL frame(small)
Wheelsmith carbon wheels
XT Di2 shifter/junction box
possibly Stages/Dura Ace crank arm
Enve all road carbon forks
Sora flat bar shifters
plus various racks, tyres and other accumulated stuff :wacko::rolleyes:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Took advantage of a warm & sunny afternoon to set the bike stand up in the back garden and slowly work my way through all 8 bikes cleaning & lubing the chains, pumping the tyres up and giving the frames a quick wipe down clean. With the strength of the wind, I did have to hold the carbon bike steady while working on it.

Forgot to include replacing the rear disc brake pads on the Giant. On a quick trip into town yesterday they were a bit graunchy and it turned out that there was about 1mm of pad material on one side and a couple of mm on the other.

This was given to me as a filthy, non working mess. A few hours work has it working well and looking pretty good. Now it just needs a rear tire and a seat ( both mostly bald ) and it’s ready for the local bicycle co-op, they’ll turn it over to someone who needs it.

IMG_0010.jpeg

This was given to me as a filthy, non working mess. A few hours work has it working well and looking pretty good. Now it just needs a rear tire and a seat ( both mostly bald ) and it’s ready for the local bicycle co-op, they’ll turn it over to someone who needs it.

View attachment 698895

Good grief a bike being repaired before it's donated? What a concept.

I don't ask about the condition of any bike I'm offered because I know they'll always say the same "it's ridable; you don't need to do anything." and it never is...

Good grief a bike being repaired before it's donated? What a concept.

I don't ask about the condition of any bike I'm offered because I know they'll always say the same "it's ridable; you don't need to do anything." and it never is...

I know the guy who runs the co-op and don’t like his work. I also attend the church which set this co-op up to help raise funds for it’s food kitchen ( right next door to the bike shop, it’s in a rough area of town ) I kind of half expect to end up working there when I finally retire… again.

Currently I’m working part time as a mechanic at a Trek dealership, so you can assume this bike will be correct before it goes to the co-op. The guys at Trek even allow me discounted parts for the job as well as use of the shop on my own time if needed.

But after 45 years of playing with motorcycles I’m better equipped at home anyway.

Top Bottom