What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fredo76

Über Member
IMG_4177.JPG
Put a new SR/Suntour silver crankset and some two-sided clipless pedals on Bella.

13 rider

Guru
Tubeless fettle today , while on holiday I managed to put a small 3mm slit in my tyre , The sealant worked and on the ride I didn't even notice , When I got back to base I noticed a small amount of sealant on the bike and the tyre was a bit squishy. Found the slit which looked sealed so reinflate the tyre to normal 70 psi which blew the sealant out and then would reseal at a lower pressure 50 psi so was ridable . However riding was cut short on holiday due to me getting a kidney stone . So today it was time to sort it properly, tyre off old sealant cleared up tyre patched on the inside . Had a bit of trouble reseating the tyre took 3 goes to get it to sit perfectly round but all managed . Still holding pressure after a 2 hour ride . Yes tubeless are a faff to set up but I now done 21000 miles with out a road side stop so I prepared to put up for a bit of faff

Finally got to repair a bike today...

NEXUS.jpg

This bike had a Nexave system, where the rear mech operates "backwards". This was a bummer when I found the shifter for the front mech was broken.

Fortunately my recycling team are keeping an eye out for Nexave parts so I had some spares. Unfortunately they had a slightly different colour so I had to dismantle the broken and replacement shifters and swap bits until until the colours matched.

Bike now on sale, this is the mess on the work bench...

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Daily commuter picked up an annoying tic tic tic from the front wheel, yesterday on the way to work, got worse on the way home. There was multiple tics per rotation, decided it was from the front wheel bearings which are the sealed type.

Had a look at prices of the replacement SKF 6902 2RS bearings which come in at £32 a pair left me needing a sit down in a darkened room.

Whipped the wheel out today and had a look, both look good dry and rust free, both feel fine but one of the adaptors was a bit gritty on rotation, so maybe it was that. Anyhow despite being quite true there was several slack spokes so decided to give the wheel a once over and set about going around the wheel putting a quarter turn on each spoke. I think the second was seized in the nipple and another snapped off as soon as the key went near it.

Of course the spokes all the spokes i have are 5mm too long or 5mm too short.

How much would we expect a plain J spoke and nip to cost from the LBS?

Gwylan

Veteran
Left Hercules II chained on the back of the van whilst the heavens opened.
Typhoon season in The Dales

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2 had a fairy visit last week when racing so this evening he got the Conti GP5000 S TR tyres I'd won last year using a photo of him TT'ing on his Carlton Corsa. Also, he fitted the matching jockey wheel that we'd never got round to doing when the bike arrived and then removed the sponsor decals from last year. That's now ready for a race in Hull on Thursday and possible race use in Ashbourne on Sunday, although his Cervelo's more likely to be the main bike for that one.

The sponsor decals also got removed from his Cervelo S3 (I did that) as he's had questions about whether he's still with the team: he's not.

And his Specialized Hotrock single-speed conversion was fettled with a new rear tube and new front brake cable. It's done OK for a year's use at university and is ready for his second year.

Alongside that the orange Carlton Corsa's had some paint, a new left-hand crank which was also sprayed orange, new orange front brake pads, new bar grips and is just waiting the arrival of a new orange rear tyre then it's ready for another year of on-campus use.

His BeOne Raw training bike is at the LBS having new headset bearings along with both wheels having new bearings; they've had a hard year's riding.

Next up are two bike builds; a 2018 Ridley Fenix to become a winter bike plus a 2017 Ridley Helium hillclimb build. Those will follow when I'm back from my holiday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom