What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Noticed on this morning's ride that my Cougar wasn't changing gear as sweet as normal, so gave the chain and associated parts a clean on my return home much better now.

Not entirely my work, but I check them and I trained the people fixing them, so I'm claiming some involvement:

View attachment 696227 :laugh:

Elderly city bike. This is a "95er". It will be sold for 95€ after a basic check, clean, pumping up the tyres and and no replacement of parts. This is a new idea which I'm ambivalent about, but it's a compromise between myself and the management.

This one isn't going to be sold for 95€:

View attachment 696228

A Scott Acer. I have to say my client did a lovely job of restoring this one: it looked a bit of a mess when it came in. Now it's working beautifully and so shiny it was hard to photograph.

And then there's this oddball:

View attachment 696229

This was lurking at the back of the workshop when I took over and I didn't know if it was privately owned. No-one has claimed it in a year so we took it out to repair. It's a surprisingly nice ride and functions perfectly except for the forks which are solid: we've taken them to bits in the hope of getting them to work but they still don't so it'll get sold as it is.

Hi Andy,

What's the back story on this type of bike work you do.

Here in my old home town we have a place called the Reading Bike Kitchen, where volunteers hang out and repair and refurbish bikes, then offer them for sale on Gumtree. I believe it's a non profit organisation, with a view to upcycling donated bikes that would otherwise go to landfill.

Been there a couple of times recently, and bought a BSA shopper on my last visit. They run repair/maintenance courses, and all their bikes on offer seem to be fairly priced - in all a very worthy set up. Chap I was speaking to there was a retired dentist. Maybe he gets a bike up into the repair stand and tells it to relax, you won't feel a thing :laugh:

Just curious, sounds like you may be involved in something similar.

Hi Andy,

What's the back story on this type of bike work you do.

Here in my old home town we have a place called the Reading Bike Kitchen, where volunteers hang out and repair and refurbish bikes, then offer them for sale on Gumtree. I believe it's a non profit organisation, with a view to upcycling donated bikes that would otherwise go to landfill.

Been there a couple of times recently, and bought a BSA shopper on my last visit. They run repair/maintenance courses, and all their bikes on offer seem to be fairly priced - in all a very worthy set up. Chap I was speaking to there was a retired dentist. Maybe he gets a bike up into the repair stand and tells it to relax, you won't feel a thing :laugh:

Just curious, sounds like you may be involved in something similar.

The back story is here. We're a non-profit to help long term unemployed people get back into work.

We have lots of departments doing everything from car repairs to landscape gardening, and run several shops, one of which includes my workshop. My job is to look after clients, run the workshop and fix bikes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A few days back, Trek rear isospeed was a bit noisy.

Supposed to never need servicing; but I tracked down a Trek tech' bulletin for dealerships that advised greasing of the bolt heads.

Slightly faffy process but the job is done and I will see how it goes in the next ride.

Lovely bike (Domane ALR5 Disc) but this piece of tech' seems pretty pointless to me.

Gunk

Guru
My BIL gave us a Ring door bell which I’ve thought about fitting in the past. Anyway, I managed to hard wire it in to our mechanical doorbell and muted the Ring Doorbell so only the old internal bell rings, downloaded the apps on both our phones and pretty impressed.

the bronze finish blends in rather well.

IMG_0910.jpeg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Quick swap of chainsets on the Giant flatbar to fit a to a second hand (and most importantly cheap) SRAM Apex 1 unit. I'd have preferred one with a 42 tooth chainring, but there was nothing in my sub £30 price range. I've been using an old SRAM Apex double fitted with an aftermarket narrow/wide single ring & shorter bolts, but was never fully happy with the compromise.
Giant Rapid - Updated 26-06-23.jpg

Quick fettle of the All Road for tonights Fridays London to Brighton;yesterday was sorting out the OG for a short camping trip to Naarfolk on Sunday.

Wednesday at work was partly spent sorting a nice US built Lemond dropped in with no appointment in a bit of a state before needing to go on a tour on Saturday:rolleyes:;

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

Luckily the new Schwalbe Ones popped on nicely on the Pacenti rims; one of the easiest tubeless tyre swaps I've done.

Oh and it had a properly seized front mech too.

Top Bottom