What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
just replaced the 105 brakes on the Roubaix with Ultegra. The Roubaix is now fully Ultegra'd up..All ready for the FNRttC tomorrow

potsy

Rambler
Finished painting the 'Lethal Impact' bike - now just to put all of the pieces back together. Including one which I'm not sure where it fell out of :wacko: whilst the frame was upside down
Oh no,that's the most crucial piece of the lot :ohmy: ;)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Oh no,that's the most crucial piece of the lot :ohmy: ;)

Thanks - it's from either the headset or the seatpost. Looks a bit like a slice of celery; knobbly around it, with flat one end and sloped the other. It's an old Ammaco frame, with Suntour gears/brakes. Termed 'Lethal Impact' because it didn't steer, change gear or stop without jamming and falling over.

Given that the bikes from 1985/6 and is on it's 2+ restoration, I'm hopeful it's not important. Overall it's in decent nick apart from a rusted and scratched frame.

The Suntour stuff all seems to work properly now; it's a 3x7 system, although the brakes are ... interesting. The saddle was shot so it's getting a Boardman saddle from their carbon road bike setup. Everything has been donated from elsewhere so it currently owes me a few quid for the new decals only and the saddle's a spare from the winter bike.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Monday - put a new chain on the Boardman Hybrid, connected it all up, looped it onto the chain ring ... and realised I'd forgotten to take out some links to shorten it. New Shimano chain with no connecting link so had to retrieve the old connecting link from the bin and did the necessary.

Next: moved on to the Boardman Road bike to replace the chain and cassette. Carefully compared the lengths and removed the appropriate number of links from the chain, fitted and connected only to notice that I'd set it up over the guide by the upper jockey wheel instead of under. Newly fitted KMC quick links don't come apart easily do they? It was easier to break the chain, re-thread it correctly and fit the connecting link from the old chain.

At least the cassette fitting went without problems.

edindave

Über Member
Replaced the saddle on Boardman Hybrid Pro, the old one had cracked (61kg too much for it lol) - thanks to l4dva who sold it to me.

Also fitted SKS RaceBlades front and rear mudguards. My rear SKS Chromoplastic had snapped in two!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks - it's from either the headset or the seatpost. Looks a bit like a slice of celery; knobbly around it, with flat one end and sloped the other. It's an old Ammaco frame, with Suntour gears/brakes. Termed 'Lethal Impact' because it didn't steer, change gear or stop without jamming and falling over.
Sounds like the wedge expander nut from a quill stem bolt. Has it got a threaded hole in the centre? It pulls tight up against a matching slope on the bottom of the quill stem in the head tube thus wedging the whole assembly tight.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Sounds like the wedge expander nut from a quill stem bolt. Has it got a threaded hole in the centre? It pulls tight up against a matching slope on the bottom of the quill stem in the head tube thus wedging the whole assembly tight.

Thanks - yes, it's got a threaded hole. Now I've just got to get it back in!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fixed punctures in two spare tubes and used those tubes with new tyres on the new wheels for my Cannondale.

[... the rest]
I'd just like to report that the newly-fettled Cannondale was great to ride in the sunshine on Sunday's 103 miler! :smile:

p1000891-jpg.8272.jpg

That's a 58 cm frame. I've made it fit by having quite a lot of seatpost exposed and flipping the stem. I reckon that I could have gone for a 60 cm frame with the saddle nearer the top tube and an unflipped shorter stem which might have looked better.

edindave

Über Member
I've just wiped the rims, then the frame, oiled the chain an pumped up the tyres but I don't know if that counts as fettling :blush:

Fettling requires the use of tools. So it doesn't count :tongue:

(OK I just made that up.)

Anyway I'm loving how silent my new SKS Raceblades are compared to the old SKS Chromoplastics.

Top Bottom