What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have had a busy day in the sun giving the hybrid a good seeing to!

Finished tensioning the new wheels then fitted them so swapped rim tape, tyres, brake discs and cassette. New wheels are a whopping 77grams lighter. I also took the opportunity to strip and clean the cassette as it was packed solid between the smaller sprockets.
Cleaned the chainset as that was similarly gunked up between the chainrings.
Stripped and cleaned the rearmech, the jockey wheel bushes were bone dry :whistle:
Pulled out the rear gear cable inner from it's full length outer and cleaned/oiled that then reset indexing and stop screws. Gears now move perfectly.
Fitted new chain.
Cleaned and greased headset bearings.
Reset hydraulic caliper adjustment as new hubs are fractionally different (we're talking maybe less than 0.5mm here!)

While The chain was off I noticed the bottom bracket sounded a bit rough (Hollowtech II SM-BB51) so that will need attention sooner rather than later.

Most of the above only happened because I was fitting new wheels, it's amazing how a job can snowball. The main aim of the new wheels is strength and reliability so the small weight saving is a bonus. This should be an end to my wheel woes.

A few small bits of tinkering still to do but that is the biggest part of the work out of the way. That's the most attention the bike has had in 2 winters and over 3000 miles.
Still to do-
  • Bottom bracket
  • New chain is jumping slightly on old cassette so will see how it goes after 20-30 miles then consider a new cassette.
  • Cable routing needs tidying a bit and possibly swap sides for front and rear mech cables at the top of the down tube.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Continued painting the Lethal Impact bike - about 2/3 done. Also fitted replacement tyres for it, so should be ready shortly ... mind you, I thought I'd have it all finished by now :surrender:

SX KYD

Fitted new drive belt to neighbours ride-on, then, whilst waiting for battery to charge, cut a new (larger) thread in deraileur hanger as it had stripped. Worked a treat, followed by 25 miler.
Back to ride-on....battery charged, still didn't start, poured some petrol straight into carb...vroom !

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
On the Carrera fitted a shorter 70mm stem, so hopefully I can reach the hoods properly. Also cleaned the bar tape using kitchen spray cleaner.

The 'Lethal Impact' bike's now all-blue. Just a final coat on the back and re-assembly can start.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fixed punctures in two spare tubes and used those tubes with new tyres on the new wheels for my Cannondale.

I found the various bits for my 10-speed cassette which were scattered about my junk box, cleaned them all and worked out which spacers to use where, then installed the cassette on my new wheel.

Put both wheels on the bike.

Took the chain off and cleaned it thoroughly ready for wax lubing (I'm trying Wurth wax lube).

Cleaned jockey wheels and greased them.

Cleaned frame and forks.

Reinstalled chain and wax-lubed it.

Changed front brake blocks and adjusted the brakes.

Pinched pedals off my Basso (I'm one pair short).

Pinched nice titanium seat post and my comfy saddle off the Basso.

Pinched front light and GPS brackets off the Basso.

D

Deleted member 1258

Back to work this week after my illness and back commuting, so back to normal routine, the once a week check and adjust on the fixed, check tyres for debris and pressures, check and if necessary adjust the chain tension and check anything else that seemed to need checking, this week it was the front brake that had lost its bite, cleaned the rim and adjusted the brake, whilst I was doing that noticed that there was play in the front wheel bearings, cartridge bearings, so it looks like I'll have to get the LBS to replace the bearings, washed the bike down and put it away.
Got out the geared bike for the ride tomorrow and spent a little time adjusting the front changer, the bike was in the shed over winter, I got it out last weekend for a couple of rides and noticed it wanted some adjustment.

subaqua

What’s the point
took chainset and crankarm off the botttom bracket and tweaked the BB . don't do what i did when reassembling and put the crank arm on the same position as the chainset crank arm . makes it a bit dificult to pedal. In my defence i had to do the tweaking while a hyperactive 4 yr old was screaming round me.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fitted schwalbe city jets: that was a job and a half! - with my limited know how :blush:
Went round the block a few times: smooth, too smooth, scary ....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
blinged up the cable sleeves and replaced gear cables.

This was achieved using:

1.5m of silver braid cable sleeve
0.5m of orange cable sleeve
cable snips
allen key
grease
pliers
nipples

oo-er!

what do they call them tiny rubber doughnuts that gone on the exposed cable?

Svendo

Guru
Fixed dodgy rear shifting by replacing cable and chainstay section of outer. I think they must have got kinked when I removed the outer and coiled up the inner to convert to single speed following crash a few weeks ago.

I also properly buggered up the old cable refitting it through the lever to the handlebar section of outer, so had to put a new one in. Threading the inner from the white lever guide bit into the outer's ferrule is a MARE of a job, especially if the inner is already cut and trying to unwind itself.

Fortunately (?) I'd only fixed the shifting by replacing cable and outers a few weeks ago, and had spare outer and inners available.

Top Bottom