What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Hey, done some more today tomatoes, courgettes, peppers today. They're in a small fleece covered greenhouse, till the seedlings come up. Need to start now or nothing will have a chance to ripe: here starts getting cold again beginning of september.
My last frost date is late April,but I'm usually okay until October . But I should start now , I may have had my last snow . Uncommonly mild winter here .

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
I added a bell to my new crush-everything-in-its path Max Ogre upgrade :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hey, done some more today tomatoes, courgettes, peppers today. They're in a small fleece covered greenhouse, till the seedlings come up. Need to start now or nothing will have a chance to ripe: here starts getting cold again beginning of september.

Thats odd - I think I'm clicking on 'Cyclechat', but I keep getting these Gardening Club updates:scratch:

Paul J

Cleaned real derailleur, chain, gears etc. Rear wheel is not round bought a spoke key but cannot seem to make any real difference to its shape :banghead:

Installed and calibrated my cheapo Raleigh computer on my Raleigh Scorpio

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
best bike's back wheel; broken spoke replaced and wheel trued. rest of bike is in the office 20km away.
mtb; cleaned and lubed
fixed; front light fitted and carradice on back so I can commute in on it tomorrow with office clothes.

must rebuild the commuter/tourer's taco'd front wheel soon.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Not done anything, but thought about building something to see how far my wheels are out of true. The carreras rear wheel needs attention, but think I need to be in a patient mood to deal with the spokes

potsy

Rambler
Fettled the new tyres onto the CX commuter, Marathon Supremes, nice and wide for a bit of comfort, and almost half the weight of the M+.
Feel the bike is now 'finished', got all the commuter essentials like guards, rack, discs, etc.

Gave the chain a 'mickle' as there was a bit of surface rust after last nights/this mornings wet ride :rain:

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
not nearly enough, some parts turned up today so i fitted the r/h sti converting the d/t shifter (i just couldn't wait) and my front derailleur also arrived but without the rest of the groupset im gonna hang on and do it all at once, i'm a googling lunatic l8ly looking for a l/h double sora 3300 so if anyone knows where to get 1 give us a shout (preferably new and i dont mind ordering from abroad).

Done a deal with my riding buddy for a pair of Token Accura brake calipers like these;

and if I do say so myself they look awesome on the CAAD. Just need to fit my new cables and she's good to go. I'll update the bike pic once I've finished fettling :thumbsup:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have a foot pedal controlled router! :thumbsup:

The router is 110V and switching the transformer on and off bypassed the router's soft start and electric braking. I didn't really want to modify the router switch as I would like to remove it from the router table and use it hand held sometimes.

So I fettled some wood, a brake cable and a brake lever.
DSC_0057.jpg

The pedal now works the switch as if hand held. A spring under the brake lever keeps it in the up position.
I just need to put a cover over the foot switch so it isn't accidentally activated, and fit an isolator switch to the transformer.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was a glorious afternoon so I thought I'd nip out for a quick ride. The Hawk is easiest to get out so I go and grab it.

Why is the back brake binding? Damn, those two spokes weren't broken when I put it away on Thursday!:sad:

Upend bike, remove wheel, remove freewheel, remove broken spokes.

Fetch two replacement spokes from spares box, save time by leaving tyre on, thread spokes into place & do up nipples. Damn, what's that hissing? :blink:

Remove tyre & tube. The second nipple has a sharp burr on it and has cut a neat 1/4 inch hole in the rim tape and the tube.

Patch rim tape and tube, get nipple without burr from spares box and go back to fitting spokes.

True wheel, refit freewheel, refit tyre & tube and start pumping up. Damn, what's that hissing? :angry:

Patch hasn't taken (only the second time this has happened to me). Peel off patch and start again. Refit tube & tyre, pump up, refit wheel.

Put bike right way up. Damn, why's the tyre flat again?:wacko:

Remove tyre & tube again, check patch - no leak evident. Check in bowl of water - valve has suddenly become faulty - WTF??!! :cry:

Fetch old tube from spares box, refit tube and tyre, finally get to enjoy ride 2.5 hours later than planned.

That was my afternoon. How was yours?

Strewth RP, I was going to moan about getting one ruddy p******e 7 miles from home and having to fix it at the road side today, (well swop the tube at least), but I think I'll thank my luck stars instead after reading your post ^_^

HovR

Über Member
Replaced batteries in both units of my wireless cycle computer - That should see me for another 6 months or so! :smile:

Top Bottom